ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Venard -- a Swedish name?  (läst 832 gånger)

2006-10-24, 14:50
läst 832 gånger

Utloggad Andrea Flanagan

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 57
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-14, 04:29
    • Visa profil
My granddad's name was Venard.  He was born in America of Swedish-born parents.  I have never heard of anyone else with his name.  Is it Swedish?  Or maybe a variation of Bernard?  He pronounced it with the emphasis on the first syllable, Ven, so it doesn't quite sound like the way we pronounce Bernard.  Any ideas?

Andrea

2006-10-24, 15:26
Svar #1

Utloggad Maria Svärd

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 141
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-08-19, 08:35
    • Visa profil
HI Andrea,
I have never seen this name in Sweden.
Maybe it could have been Verner?

Brgds
Maria Svärd

2006-10-24, 21:12
Svar #2

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hello Andrea, Venard is a French surname.  

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2006-10-25, 01:15
Svar #3

Utloggad Andrea Flanagan

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
That's very interesting.  Venard's granddad chose the surname Levin upon immigration to America.  It is most probably of French origin, also.  I've read a bit about a Swedish facination with all things French in the late 1800's.  Maybe the names chosen by my family reflect that.

2006-10-25, 02:58
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Levin is a Swedish name; there are at present at least 1.000 persons in Sweden with Levin as surname.
Venard pronounced the way you describe it, is very Swedish; we pronounce e.g. Bernard that way. Maybe your grandfather's parents had made friends with a French family in the States? Or they may just have seen the name somewhere - the late 19th century was in Sweden the time of the great name experiments, given names as well as surnames, and of course your greatgrandparents carried that idea with them to the States where it was further developed by the realisation that Americans could use surnames as given names.

No, Swedes were not very fascinated with French things in the 19th century - that was a century earlier. In the late 19th century they were fascinated with English and above all American things; today many Swedes worry that we are becoming too Americanized - but it actually started already in the 1850's, as is shown in the thesis by Tom O'Dell (Ph.D. in ethnology, Lund university).

Ingela

2006-10-25, 19:50
Svar #5

Utloggad Andrea Flanagan

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you for correcting me on my Swedish history.  I've learned so much since beginning my ancestry research, I've gotten my facts confused a bit.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna