ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Nilsson,Carl Johan emigrated Nov. 1885. What was his destination?  (läst 414 gånger)

2003-02-06, 21:58
läst 414 gånger

Ishbel Cormack

Carl Johan Nilsson born 1848-10-01,Ukna Parish left Rullerum,Västergård,Ringarum parish for N. America 1885-11-17. Please tell me what is destination was in the USA.
Thank you

2003-02-06, 22:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-05-07, 20:50
    • Visa profil
Hi Ishbel, I can't find him on CD-Emigranten, no Nilsson at all leaving Ringarum in 1885 according to the cd (ten others with destination New York mostly, one Los Angeles, one Chicago and one for Eau Claire, only the last one leaving in Nov - a 23 year old GA Sandström). No matching Nilsson/Nilson in Nov 1885 from the whole country either (out of 37).

Regards,
Eva

2003-02-06, 22:49
Svar #2

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again! I just saw on Sweden GenForum that you have the EMIBAS-information that he emigrated on 17 Nov. 1885. That means he left the parish at least. There are a few Karl or CJ Nilson/Nilsson emigrating 1870-1890 från Ringarum, but still not obvious match - wrong initial, wrong appr. age or too many years from 1885.

Looking for a male Nilsson from anywhere in 1886 - There is a 37 year old male C J Nilsson emigrating from Nykil, E (Östergötland county) on 9 April 1886, alone, destination Muskegon, Mich. Source code 28:281:201. Any help?

Not all emigrants appear on the CD, and I don't know how to find the destination otherwise as the cd reflects the contracts shown at the exit port. If they didn't have a contract and they traveled in something else than emigrant class they weren't registered (source the book Emigrantforska steg för steg p. 45). The only other way, I guess, is the passenger lists in the harbor he came to - but they are not very detailed at that time, and it's quite a lot of harbours.

Regards,
Eva

2003-02-07, 20:21
Svar #3

Ishbel Cormack

Eva thank you for all the work you did for me.May I
ask you another question?

I have had another look at Carl's father's boupptekning written in March 1880 and it says:

Carl Johan född den 1 oktober 1848, Jonas August född den 15 mars 1855,boinde(or spelled boende)i Norra Amerika.
It goes on to list the other children and later says:

De i Amerika boinde(or boende) sönernas ratt bevakar af Hemmansegaren Carl Ulrick Andersson i Holmbo, Hannäs soken enligt fullmakt.

Do you think I have translated this correctly. I think it says that, my grandfather, Jonas and his brother Carl Johan, were in N. America in 1880. I know Jonas emigrated in 1878.

If Carl Johan went back to visit in Sweden and then returned to America would he be listed in the church record and EMBIAS?  

The C.J.Nilsson emigrating from Nykil looks possible . I am searching my records to see if Nykil is mentioned.

2003-02-16, 08:42
Svar #4

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hej Ishbel!  It should be 'boende' and that means that they were living in America (most often it refers to the US) when their father died. Carl Ulrick Andersson protected their rights when the inheritance was to be divided. 'Fullmakt' means that there was a signed paper for this (power of attorney?). Someone knew where in the US the brothers/sons were, but it's not sure that this paper can be found in the papers of the court.

Someone returning to Sweden is usually in the church records when he or she came back, if they intended to stay in Sweden (even if they sometimes changed their minds soon after and returned to the US again) and EMIBAS would list them. A visitor who may have stayed a longer time but not intended to stay would probably not be listed.

Hälsningar,
Eva

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna