ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hansson, Karl Vilhelm (Charles William?) born 1874, emigrated to Minnesota?  (läst 574 gånger)

2003-01-11, 21:05
läst 574 gånger

Lena Gustafsson (Lenag)

Karl Vilhelm Hansson, born 28/12 1874 in Stora Vambåsa Förkärla parish. His parents were Hans Petersson and Anna Gustafsdotter. He married Jenny Petersdotter in 1896, had 4 children: one daugther who died at the age of one month, 2 stillborn, and one son, Ernst Karlsson, who died in 1978. Jenny died in 1902, and Karl Vilhelm emigrated to the US shortly thereafter. According to his grandson, he is supposed to have settled in Minnesota, from where his son got a letter many years later. The letter is unfortunately lost. In the death certificate index for Minnesota there is a Charles W Hanson born 27/12 1874 who dies 27/7 1958 in Pine county, Minnesota. He is registered as born out of state, with a mother's maiden name noted as Gustafsson. This could actually be Karl Vilhelm. I have searched through the Ellis Island database without finding Karl Vilhelm.
Is there somebody who recognizes this Karl Vilhelm? Or would somebody with access to Ancestry's census be willing to look up Charles William in Pine County to see if he is born in Sweden?
Karl Vilhems grandchildren are very curious about what happened to their grandfather after he left for the US.
Gratefully, Lena Gustafsson

2003-01-13, 05:29
Svar #1

Utloggad Floyd Hallberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 99
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-22, 23:43
    • Visa profil
Hej Lena,
I have searched for this man in the 1920 and 1930 census in Minnesota, but I do not get a good match.  If the age is correct, then the emigration year is wrong. In 1920, he would have been 45 or 46 on the census and 55 or 56 on the 1930 census. I used the Soundex search because so many names of immigrants were anglicized here.
Regards,
Floyd Hallberg

2003-01-18, 13:48
Svar #2

Lena Gustafsson (Lenag)

Floyd!
Thankyou very much for the lookup. I have visited the Arninge research center to check up the CD EMIGRANTEN to try to verify the emigration year - but without clear matches. Karl Vilhelm unfortunately had a name that is pretty common in Sweden. The birth year is verified (I have lots of ancestors to Karl Vilhelm) but of course it could have been changed (misunderstood or something) when he left for the US. I am not really sure of the emigration year, his grandson have just heard shortly after Jennys death, but probably it could have been several years later. Ernst never knew his father, but he could have worked somewhere else in Sweden before emigrating. I will continue research here in Sweden to try to pinpoint the emigration year!
Regards,
Lena

2003-03-08, 07:22
Svar #3

Utloggad Floyd Hallberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 99
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-22, 23:43
    • Visa profil
Hej Lena,
Here is a reply to a posting that I made.  The nice lady found Karl Hansson information.
Here is the e-mail today from Sylvia Marcotte in Minnesota:
I just got back from Duluth a wee bit ago and checked my e-mail to find one for you.  I stopped in Moose Lake and got the obituary for you.  If and when I go to MN historical society do you want me to be his death certificate.  It won;'t be a certified copy but a copy of it.  He had two brothers that lived near him.  I checked the obituaries and his brother Swan died in 1959.  Do you want his obituary too?  He also had a sister living in Poplar, WI and wonder if Ernest didn't move down there after Swan died.  Will put the orbit in tomorrows mail.  Now I know his father was Hans Peterson and his name was Hanson.  He was born in Sweden.
Charles W Hanson, 83 Blackhoof, a resident of the Barnum and Blackhoof area since 1914, died Sunday at a Sandstone hospital.  He was born in Blekinge, Sweden and married Jennie Olson in Sweden in 1895.  She died in 1898.  Mr Hanson came to the United State in 1904 and lived in superior eight years.  Later he was a timber worker in Minnesota and Wisconsin several years.  He is survived by a son, Ernest in Sweden; three brothers, Otto Poplar, Wis and Ernest and Swan, Blackhoof and two sister, Mrs Gust Hanson,  Poplar and Mrs Cecilia Anderson in Sweden.  Funeral services were conducted at 2 pm Wednesday at Elim Lutheran church, Blackhoof by the Rev Kenneth H Carsen.
    I will check and see where he is buried I assume it is probably in the Blackhoof cemetery.  We have some friends that live very close to that cemetery.  Would you want a picture of their headstones or whatever they might have?  I will get Swans obituary if you want that too.  If and when I go to Duluth I will see if any of the 3 were naturalized in MN.  Do you have census records for them.  They would be in the 1920 census.  I can get that for you in Duluth too or the MN Historical Society.  All for now, will still be sending the obit but thought you might be curious in the meantime.
Sylvia
----- Original Message -----  
To: Sylvia & Ray Marcotte  
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: Charles W. Hanson

MVH
Floyd Hallberg

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna