ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Military Name?  (läst 735 gånger)

2010-05-26, 20:50
läst 735 gånger

Utloggad Jim Allen

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 10
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-25, 18:17
    • Visa profil
My grandmother told me that her grandfather, Anders Pehr Nilson Holm, took the name Holm in connection with his service in the military.  She referred to it as his military name.  Her grandfather was born with the name, Anders Pehr Nilson.  His mother was unmarried.  Only as an adult did he add Holm as his family name.  When he married, his wife took the name Holm, as did his daughter (Anna Lovisa Holm).  All of this was done before he left for America.  Can you provide any light on this subject for me?  Was it common to take a military name?  Or do you suppose he simply wanted a fresh start?  Also, were there any governmental or church requirements that needed to be satisfied for a name change?  Thank you very much.

Jim

2010-05-26, 21:59
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Jim,  

As a starting point, there's a good explanation of military names at the Swedish names page (it's in the English section of the mother site of the Anbytarforum discussion board).

The name Holm would fall into the third category listed (nature names); meaning islet.

2010-05-27, 01:19
Svar #2

Utloggad Jim Allen

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 10
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-25, 18:17
    • Visa profil
Thank you very much.  It appears that my grandmother was correct.

I gather that people could go by any name they liked and that no governmental registration or other bureaucratic action was required.  In other words, there is no requirement to file any paperwork to change one's name (for which records would now be available to consult)?

Thank you again.

Jim

2010-05-27, 20:18
Svar #3

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
You're right; no application was needed - you told the parson what your new name was, so he could update the church record, and then you just started using your new name (picking a noble name wouldn't be accepted though).  

BTW, in Britain, I understand it still works in a similar way even today - just inform everyone concerned about your name change. No registering or application required.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna