ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hannah -- Swedish name?  (läst 1964 gånger)

2000-03-06, 05:48
läst 1964 gånger

David Clark

Is it likely that in the early 19th Century in America the name Hannah for a woman would be a Swedish name?  Might it also be German, or perhaps Danish?  I have a gggrandmother who was Hannah D.  Vaughan, from Tennessee but with parents originally born in Virginia.  

Thanks for all your help.

2000-03-06, 09:33
Svar #1

Carl Szabad

Hanna is a short form of Johanna, a typical Swedish name. The Danish version is Hanne. It could also be a Hebrew name with the spelling you used.

2000-03-09, 06:29
Svar #2

David Clark

Carl,  Thank you very much for your help.  Is the name Hannah found in the Old Testament, perhaps? I know next to nothing about that.  

Dave

2000-03-09, 09:07
Svar #3

Carl Szabad

David! I don´t know anything about the Old Testament either, I found this information in a book about Swedish names.

2000-03-09, 16:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Lars Nylander

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 627
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-07-08, 23:39
    • Visa profil
Den Gammaltestamentliga Elkanas hustru Hanna var Samuels mor. Hannas offer är ett känt begrepp som finns beskrivet i Första Samuelsboken. Hanna lovade Gud att om hon fick en son skulle han bli präst, vilket också skedde. Hanna fick profeten Samuel.

Jag är urdålig på engelska, kan någon översätta? (Jag släktforskade istället för att läsa engelskaläxan under skoltiden :-) )

2000-03-09, 21:02
Svar #5

Birgitta Nilsson

David! You can read about Hannah i the first book of Samuel in the Old Testament. Hannah was married to Elkanah for several years but had no children.

1:10-11 In the bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and praid to the LORD. And she made a vow, saying, O LORD Almigthy, if you will only look upon your servant´s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.
1:20 ... Hannah conseived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying Because I asked the LORD for him.

In the third chapel you can read about when the LORD calls Samuel to be his prophet.

Hanna/Hannah/Anna are a hebrew name and means the merciful
Johanna are also a hebrew name and means The LORD is merciful

They are all very common in Sweden, even though Hannah is not so very popular now a days.

2000-03-13, 06:20
Svar #6

David Clark

Brigitta,  Thank you very much.  I have copied that for some of my cousins, and pasted it into my Family Tree database.  Looking through USA census for the 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, there are almost no Hannah names, but more Anna and Johanna.  Johanna and Anne or Anna is common enough now.  

My, my, Woody Allen even made a movie, Hannah and her Sisters!!

Thank you all again.

Dave Clark

2000-10-29, 18:22
Svar #7

Teresa Lewis

I am trying to find a link to Sweden to  my ggggg grandmother Christiana Bonde  

BONDE

To return now to Captain Edmond Du Chastel De Blangerval, It  ,  married Christian Bonde May 1, 1693  also of Philadelphia (Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd ser,  vol 8, pg viii.) who was the sister of Abraham Bonde (will of Edmond de
Chastel, cit. supra.) and Wenetie Bonde wife of  Jerimiah Collett(will of  Christian Bonde du Chastel,  cit supra; Gilbert Cope MS.
Coil., Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, tittles Bonde, Boon,Collett). The Early Philadelphia and Delaware County records containfrequent references to the Bonde family, now called Boon, founded byAnders Svenson Bonde who came from Sweden with Munuit or Hollander.(Historical Atlas of  Delaware County , PA., pp ix , xiii, xx, and maps nos. 6. 16; H.D. Paxson, Where Pennsylvania History Began,pp210,11,16,18,29; Pennsylvania Magazine, vol 7, pp106-107.)  In the
1693 tax list for Philadelphia County   Andr Swanson Boon, who hadThree sons of Age living at home was assesst L350 and possessed 750acres of land. Christian Boande was probably his Granddaughter as sheis not mentioned in his will, dated April 18, 1696, proved  June 1,1696 ( Phila., book A, page 339) which names wife Anneka; sons Swan,Peter, Hance, Neeles, Andreasa, Wolla ans Ambeo Jr.; and three daughters. No genealogy of this Swedish Colonial family has come to my
attention, although the Bondes were a distinguished noble family inSweden (Bertil-Boethius, Svenskt Biografisht Lexikon, Vol. 5, pages303-412, article Bonde; J.B. Rietstap, op. cit. supra.).    The Du Chastel home in Philadelphia was located  on Front  street
at Morris Alley, now called Gatzmer street, adjioning the home of the first Anthony Morris in what was then a fashionable district of thecity (Philadelphia Co. deeds, book Book E., No. 2, L.A., page 171;Book E, No. 3, pages 50, 245; deed in Exemplification Record, Vol. 7,page 78; R.C. Moon, (The Morris Family of Philadelphia, Vol. 1, page 46). From the inventories of the estates of the Captain and his widow it appears that their residence was a comfortable two-story dwelling with a room for the servants on the second flor. In  size and style it probably resembled the Morris mansion described by Dr. Moon, as the 1693 assessment for the two neighbors was the same, L800 (Pennsylvania Magazine, Vol. 8, Page 87 etc.). As judged by the assessment of that
year there were but four colonists possessing greater wealth than Captain Du Chastel and Anthony Morris.

2000-10-29, 20:13
Svar #8

Utloggad Christina Backman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 833
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-04-22, 18:01
    • Visa profil
Teresa! The correct Swedish forms of the  
Christian names you mention would be  
Christina  
(not Christian - that is a man´s name) Annika,  
Sven, Hans, Nils, Andreas. Wenetie, Wolla (?)  
Ambeo: these do not sound Swedish, are you  
sure  
they have been transcribed correctly?  
Regards Christina

2000-10-29, 21:34
Svar #9

Roland Johansson

Ambeo, maybe it is a corruption of the name Ambjörn.

2000-10-30, 17:24
Svar #10

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
David,

There is today in Sweden  
315 169 Anna, 40 798 Hanna and 2 248 Hannah.

Regards/Sam Blixt/Oskarshamn

2000-10-30, 18:06
Svar #11

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
David,

In the database of PLF with about 1 200 000 born
in the southeast Sweden 1620-1930 there where
69 710 Anna or 5,8 %, 2 353 Hanna or 0,20 % and
only 1 (one) Hannah which means it was an English or American name, the parents of her was Josef Adam Jennings and Ullrica Elisabeth Kreuger.

Regards/Sam

2000-11-04, 22:49
Svar #12

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Teresa, the most informative book on the Swedes on the Delaware is The 1693 Census of the Swedes on the Delaware by Peter Stebbins Craig, FASG, published in 1993 by SAG Publications. The Bonde/Boon family is mentioned as family #12 on page 32.  

The children were Sven (b.1661),Hans (b.1669), Nils (b. 1675), Olof (b. 1677), Margaret (b. 1679), Brigitta (b. 1681), Anders (b. 1683) and Ambora (daughter, b. 1685).

There are no children named Abraham or Venetia in this family.

2000-11-05, 14:53
Svar #13

Utloggad Keth Andersson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 240
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-07-26, 11:12
    • Visa profil
David!
I have an ancestor named Hanna Hansdotter Novin. She emigrated to Boston 1898 and after that her name is spelled Hannah.
Regards Keth
Glad pensionär

2003-07-02, 18:45
Svar #14

Mary E Leveille

My grandmother's name was Hanna. She was born in Varmland in 1880. After she emigrated to the US in 1897, she sometimes spelled her name Hannah.

2003-07-03, 02:21
Svar #15

Malin Lyktberg

The name; HANNA:
Hanna is a hebreish name and means 'pardon'(ed?)
The Hebreish spell Hannah, is used by 1 of 15 people, so it's not so common. The spelling Hanna, looks like a typical Swedish spelling, of the name.
At the 5:th of January, in the Swedish calendar,it's HANNA.

/Malin

2003-07-03, 09:45
Svar #16

Anna Berg

I think that Hanna also often is used as a shortening of the name Johanna! So you may be christened to Johanna but -called Hanna.I had two classmates christ.Johanna but always called Hanna.
I think there is a connection to the hebrew name Channa = Hanna = Anna too. I learned that some years ago from a hebrew friend talking about my name, so he often said 'Channa'with a smile to me.
Anyway the spelling Hannah is not swedish.It seems more to be american or english

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna