ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Bror Emil Hjalmar Enström  (läst 665 gånger)

2008-07-17, 11:12
läst 665 gånger

Utloggad Rosalie Enstrom

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-06-11, 03:45
    • Visa profil
I wish to place on record the information which I have been able to obtain regarding our Grandfather also known as Harry.   I have been researching Harry for some time now and have had an awful amount of assistance from members of Anbytarforum so I felt that I should make known facts which I have.
According to Anders Isberg, Archivist, at Landsarkivet-lund.ra.se: notes registered in the parish register of Maria Magdalena in Stockholm Bror Emil Hjalmar Enstrom enrolled at the Shipping Office in Landskrona on 12 June 1889 - 1891 (DI d:12 1889 page 35 and 1891 page 35; 1892 - 1894 DI a:13m 1893 page 18) and 1887 - 1913 (Di d:4 page 83 and removed from the enrolment lists in 1901.
Enrolled as a deck boy at the Brig Galathea from Nyham, Höganäs.    Enrolled at the Brig Galathea 12 June 1889 and sailed from Landskrona to Port Natal in South Africa by Sundsvall.   Enrolled 29 May 1891 as a deck boy at the Schooner Oskar from Råå, Helsingborg.  The schooner Oskar sailed from Landskrona to L?beck in Germany.  Enrolled 6 May 1893 as a seaman at the Ship Beda from Landskrona which sailed from Landskrona to Canada.
I do not know when Harry actually left Sweden, however, he was naturalised as a British Citizen and enlisted and seconded to Bethune's Mounted Infantry (a volunteer unit raised in Durban in South Africa) in October 1899 for service with the British Imperial Forces participating in the Anglo Boer War.

Sadly on the 29th May 1900 at Scheepers Nek when in action he received gunshot wounds, one entered the right chest, another entered behind the left shoulder and he was also wounded in the right buttock.  He was then taken Prisoner of War and in the U.K. Times Newspaper he was listed with names of other prisoners who were handed back to the British by the Boers on the 21st July 1900 under a flag of truce.

He was then admitted to the General Hospital in Howick, Natal South Africa on the 7th October 1900 and an extract from the Admission and Discharge Book of ss Formosa Hospital at Sea dated 13 Jan 1901 showed he was en route to England and on the 17 Jan 1901 was admitted to Woolwich Hospital.  He was discharged on the 17th May 1901.

On the 24th June 1901 he was recommended for discharge from the forces and was discharged on the 29 July 1901 due to his disability being noted as permanent.

He then returned to South Africa where on the 2 July 1904 he married Hilda Kanjela Von Breda, they had five children: Emil Leonard, Erik Stanley, Wallace Vivian, John Harold and Edith Winifred.

He died on the 23rd June 1932 in Addington Hospital, Durban, South Africa from Myocardial failure at age 59 years.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna