ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translate these professions please  (läst 2072 gånger)

2000-05-20, 18:55
läst 2072 gånger

Ishbel Cormack

snidverksmästare , industriledare, brukspatron

vapenhantverkare,  kornett, bruksinspektor,

sidenhandlare, bruksdirektör, rusthållare,

frälseinspektor, rusthållareinspektor,

godsarrendator, fanjunkare, arrendator,

sjötullsvaktmästare, skräddare, daglönare,

bokhållare  
I would appreciate knowing what jobs my relatives did in Sweden.These were on a family tree.

Ishbel

2000-05-20, 19:21
Svar #1

Carolyn Johnson Eccles

Can I add to the list: piparen. I think it has something to do with the military.

2000-05-21, 16:19
Svar #2

Chris Troy

To the best of my ability, here's the translations:

snidverksmästare = Woodcarving workshop supervisor

industriledare = ? Industry leader?

brukspatron = proprietor of an ironworks (foundry)  
  mill, mill owner  

vapenhantverkare = coat of arms or weapon artisan,
  craftsman

kornett = ?

bruksinspektor = ironworks (foundry) mill
  inspector

sidenhandlare = silk merchant

bruksdirektör = ironworks (foundry) mill director,
  senior administrative officer, administrator

rusthållare = owner of a farm equipping a cavalry
  soldier  

rusthållareinspektor = inspector of above

frälseinspektor = frälse = nobility, Frälsegård =  
  tax-exempt farm (farm owned by a nobleman who  
  collected the tax), inspektor = inspector  

godsarrendator = leaseholder, tenant of large
  estate, manor

fanjunkare = master sergeant, warrant officer

arrendator = leaseholder, tenant  

sjötullsvaktmästare = Customs Officer

skräddare = tailor

daglönare = day labourer

bokhållare = bookkeeper

piparen = ?

Hope someone who speaks better Swedish than me can check these for accuracy and fill in the blanks.
Chris Troy, Australia

2000-05-21, 17:27
Svar #3

Utloggad Anders Brissman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 403
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-07-19, 17:32
    • Visa profil
Gretings to you all.

Industriledare = industrial leader on a higher level.

Kornett= was the lowest rank an officer had in the cavalry. Today it would be an second lieutnant in the army. What that is in the navy and airforce, I´m not sure about.

Piparen = was a musician in the military playing some kind of (wood)windinstrument. The main instrumnents was drums and pipes. The setting of an music band alterd along whith the development of new musicinstruments.  

Rusthållare= was indeed owner of an farm fitting out an cavalry soldier. Among other thing he had to provide a good horse. This horse wasn´t to be used as a labour horse in the farm.

It gave the owner tax benefits. If his tax didn´t cover the cost of the soldier, then other farms taxes was given to him up the needed amount.

If the farmer was very rich, he could fit out more then one soldier. It was however a lottery, in wartime it could cost a lot for the farmer. In peacetime it was very good.

This right to put up the soldier, could be passed on to his son or widow, when the man died.

Best regards

Anders

2000-05-21, 17:30
Svar #4

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
Until 1835 kornett was the lowest ranking officer in the Swedish cavalry.

Best regards  Tord Påhlman

2000-05-21, 19:33
Svar #5

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Dear Ishbel,

Some further explanations: Does it really say snid-? Couldn't it be smid- or smed-? Smide = forging, wrought iron and smed = smith. The title would then be either forging supervisor or smith supervisor.  

A brukspatron was the owner or manager of a iron works, paper mill or just any kind of factory. Do you have the name of the bruk in question? Bruksdirektör is a more modern title than brukspatron, essentially it's the same position.  

Inspektor = manager (farming), steward. If the o has two dots, the word is inspektör = inspector, surveyor, supervisor. My guess is that you have a bruksinspektor but rusthållareinspektör in your family tree.  

Sjötullsvaktmästare is trickier: vaktmästare = messenger, caretaker, janitor (Am. English), sjötull = sea customs/duty.  

Best regards,
Bibi

2000-05-21, 20:26
Svar #6

Carolyn Johnson Eccles

Thanks to you all for the translations.
                   Carolyn

2000-05-21, 21:30
Svar #7

Ishbel Cormack

Bibi,Tord,Anders and Chris, thank you
re: snidverksmästare. Here is part of a paragraph which contains,this word. This is from a journal article in Släkt och Hävd 1976, about the family.I think the family owned 3 iron works at one time. I am having the 48 pages translated but it will not be done for a month so I am trying to translate a small part for myself.
 I syskonskaran Kock ingick också en syster Barbe (Barbro) Danielsdotter. När hon påträffas i Oupiesamlingen 1625 är hon redan änka. Mannen, Piere de Sur le Try, var snidverksmästare(maistre fendeur)i Liege och bosatt i kvarteret Froidmont i staten.
The word Liege has a graave accent over the first  e. I think it is a place in Belgium.

What does riksmyntmätare mean?

2000-05-21, 22:45
Svar #8

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Ishbel:
Maitre fendeur means master of foundry (or something similar), i.e. ironworks master. Liège is indeed a town in Belgium, in what is called  Walloonia. Quite a few Walloons immigrated to Sweden in the 1600 hundreds with their skills in ironworks. The title verkmästare is a supervisor, but that was not used before late 1800 hundreds. Which ironwork (bruk) are you talking about, we might be able to find information on it in an encyclopedia.

Haven't heard of a riksmyntmätare. If you translate word by word (riks mynt mätare) it means national coin meter. In what context have you found it?  

Best regards,
Bibi

2000-05-21, 22:50
Svar #9

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I just looked at the map - Liège is more or less inbetween Brussels and Cologne (Germany). My map does not show Walloonia, so I might be wrong on that.  

Bibi

2000-05-22, 02:01
Svar #10

Ishbel Cormack

Bibi: Louis DeGreer is mentioned in the article several times and he had something to do with the Waloons.

Markus Kock överflyttade 1626,blev Gustav 2 Adolfs riksmyntmästare samt betydande industriidkare och återfinnes i tabel 1: Henrik DeTrij.

I think Henry(Henrik)DeTrij was the son of Pierre de sur Trixhe and Barbe Kock. He was a industriledare and brukspatron who died in 1699.

De tre tjust-bruken, Gusum, Överum och Ankarsrum har under 1950-talent firat 300-årsjubileer. I  guess those are the 3 locations of the iron works??
Thanks for helping Bibi. Ishbel

2000-05-22, 02:05
Svar #11

Ishbel Cormack

2000-05-22, 02:37
Svar #12

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Louis De Geer (not Greer) was born in Liège 1587, came to Sweden 1627, became a Swedish nobleman in 1641 and died in Amsterdam 1652. He was one of the persons deeply involved in the immigration of Walloons to Sweden, and one of the big industrial leaders in Sweden at that time, running several iron works bruk in Sweden. His family (De Geer) continued the tradition, and were running iron works in Sweden for several hundred years. A rather exact translation of riksmyntmästare (not riksmyntmätare) is national coin master. Gusum, Överum and Ankarsrum are iron works bruk.

2000-05-22, 03:17
Svar #13

Ishbel Cormack

Tord:Great to have the history. It makes the names come alive. Could you translate the sentences I have written in Swedish? I haven't been able to make much sense of them.
Thank you, Ishbel

2000-05-22, 17:37
Svar #14

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Ishbel,

Markus Kock was born in Liège 1585-02-14 and died in Avesta, Sweden 1657-11-20. His male anscestors were ennobled in 1667, having the name Cronström. The family is extinct. Your sentence about him reads as follows: Markus Kock moved over 1626, became national mint master for [king] Gustav 2 Adolf and also an important industrialist and will be refound in table 1: Henrik de Trij. The words moved over refers to that he moved from Poland, where he was a mint master, to Sweden, where he became national mint master. Actually, he was the head of the royal mint in Sweden and responsible for the national coin production.  

Your last Swedish sentence reads: The three 'Tjust' iron works, Gusum, Överum and Ankarsrum have in the 1950-ies celebrated 300 years anniversaries. The northern part of Kalmar län (county) in Sweden, where you find these three iron works, is called Tjust.

2000-05-23, 02:18
Svar #15

Ishbel Cormack

Tord:Many thanks.The Marcus Kock information fits with the article I am trying to translate. I just figured out that Markus Kock was the maternal uncle of Henrik DeTrij who is related to me.Markus looked after Henrik's education etc. as Henrik's mother became a widow before 1625. I will add your information to my notes.
Ishbel

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna