ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Skurlov - translation please  (läst 1319 gånger)

2004-06-05, 20:02
läst 1319 gånger

Mary E Leveille

Does anyone know the translation of Skurlov?

2004-06-05, 20:34
Svar #1

Utloggad Ulla Lundell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2361
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 18:23
    • Visa profil
Hello Mary

Skurlov it means that the kids where free from school that day so that the cleaning lady could to a full clean of the school. She vaxed the floors, cleaned the windows.

All the best from Ulla Lundell

2004-06-05, 23:12
Svar #2

Utloggad Bengt Bengtsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 206
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-04-02, 18:55
    • Visa profil
Additional information: Skurlov contains two words:  
1 SKUR(A) which means  to scrub and
2 LOV which means holiday
so you can see that the explanation as above is absolutely right

2004-06-06, 22:07
Svar #3

beritnightingale

Hi Mary,
We were also lucky enough to have potatislov  
and bärlov when we got a couple of days off to  
help with the potatoe harvest  and berries.

Berit

2004-06-07, 15:41
Svar #4

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
We had skurlov my first three years of school and it was always one day the last week of September. We were told this was because traditionally working people moved that week as they were hired one year at a time beginning October 1. The kids had to be home helping with the cleaning of the rented home before it was left to move to the next place. To us kids the word meant rain shower holiday as skur as a noun means rain shower (a rather short one) and it made no sense why this would only happen on one specific date... As far as the thorough cleaning of the class rooms - I always thought that was done during the summer holidays.

Bibi

2004-06-08, 07:45
Svar #5

Utloggad Gertrud Pettersson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 30
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
To Mary.
I believe Bibi has given you the right explanation to the word 'skurlov' as the top-to-bottom cleaning of the schools traditionally has been done during the summer holidays.

2004-06-08, 17:00
Svar #6

Anders Andersson

I wonder about the annual moving week though; in the old parish records you will see that most unmarried maids and farmhands moved around October 24, sometimes as late as early November. Was there a different date set for married workers with families, or are we actually referring to the same general moving period?

2004-06-08, 17:54
Svar #7

Utloggad Lars-Erik Gustavsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 319
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-01-03, 14:24
    • Visa profil
According to Svenska Akademins Ordbok, here, Ulla Lundell has given the right explanation to the word ,skurlov.

The explanation in English:
Holiday because of scrubbing of floors in the school.

2004-06-08, 22:46
Svar #8

Monica Johansson

And do not forget the wonderful smell in the air of the cleaned school when returning to the schoolbuilding that we were all part of. And fundamentally thought us that cleaness smells good. Education, that was! Bye, Monica

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna