ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Försvarlig and Godkänd  (läst 944 gånger)

2008-01-04, 02:12
läst 944 gånger

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
I have been looking at some records which use försvarlig and godkänd, as well as god.  

One record is for the marriage banns of my farfar and farmor. Her Christian knowledge was listed as god and his was listed as försvarlig.

Another type of record is the confirmation record for my farmor and her sister. They both were listed as god in Christian knowledge but most children on the page were listed with godkänd.

I understand that god = good. How do those other words compare to good? Dictionaries are not helpful enough. I'm confused.

Thank you!

Judy

2008-01-04, 08:34
Svar #1

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
Literally godkänd (=accepted)corresponds to a pass mark. Somebody having the mark försvarlig in reading is able to read so-so. Not far from a pass mark, either. Godkänd I think is a more modern word than försvarlig.

2008-01-04, 15:42
Svar #2

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
According to  SAOB, the official historic dictionary of Swedish, godkänd and försvarlig are much of an age; SAOB takes account only of what is printed so I think the cut-off is somewhere around 1530.

The meaning of godkänd and försvarlig is just as Heikki says; godkänd is pass while försvarlig, passable, doesn't quite cut it but is at the same time not a fail.
Put into context försvarlig seems to be adequate: Ingen, som icke inför sin pastor kunnat visa sig äga en försvarlig kunskap i katekesen, skulle få gifta sig. - Nobody, who before his vicar cannot be shown to have försvarlig/passable knowledge of the catechism, should be allowed to marry. (SAOB)

In grammar school in the 19th century the following marks were awarded:
Berömlig, Med beröm godkänd, God­känd, Försvarlig, Otillräcklig/Ringa - Distinguished, With distinction, Pass, Passable, Inadequate/Poor. (SAOB)
Looking at this I would suggest that the terminology for the marks awarded during my schooldays (numeric, just to be different) was more realistic: 5 = Distinguished, 4 = With distinction, 3 = Average, 2 = Passable (which meant pass), 1 = Inadequate (this was in the 1970's, you were not allowed to say failed but that was of course what it was).

So I'd say that försvarlig, passable, actually meant pass while godkänd, pass, really meant average - if by pass you mean that you do not have to repeat the course/test and that it is enough not to limit or restrict you.

Ingela

2008-01-05, 00:22
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Thank you both very much! I appreciate your explanations.

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna