ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Crofter Translates How?  (läst 1391 gånger)

2004-03-13, 22:43
läst 1391 gånger

Eva Johnson Zimmer

My Swedish to English Dictionary says torp means crofter's holding; cottage. Torpare means crofter. I do not find crofter in the Swedish to English Dictionary.

Could crofter mean cottage renter or land renter?
Egare means land owning farmer.

I have run across crofter before and it seemed to me that they may be low in social status, am I correct?

Thanks for any help in explaining this term.
Eva

2004-03-13, 23:15
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Crofter is a British word, and in the U.S. one could probably use the word sharecropper instead.

You can read here about the torp and torpare.

2004-03-14, 03:37
Svar #2

Eva Johnson Zimmer

Elisabeth,
Thank you for your response and especially for directing me to Torp and Torpare - An Analysis. That is a very interesting history of the word. After reading this, I have more questions.

I also confess that I previously asked whether Hellekilstorp (now Hällekilstorp) was a town name or a farm name under the category of General Questions. Sorry for changing categories.

The reason I was particularly interested is because Övre Ullerud parish records show my father was born 1896 in Hellekilstorp, Olsäter. I was trying to understand what that farm name could possibly mean.

My great grandfather b. 1835 is shown as Homestead: Hellekilstorp with Occupation: Egare (land owning farmer). So, does this mean perhaps he was the owner of a large farm that had torpare working small plots of his farm?

My grandfather is shown to be born 1866 in Södra Botorp, Övre Ullerud. He was a tailor, not a farmer. My father was an only son with one sister younger. I am curious why my father is shown as being born in Hellekilstorp as my great grandfather was but not my grandfather.

Maybe I'm trying too hard to understand this but it certainly is interesting as well as puzzling.

Can you help straighten out my thinking?

Thanks for your help.
Eva

2004-03-14, 14:06
Svar #3

Anders Andersson

I'm unable to find Södra Botorp on any map of mine, but since Hällekilstorp is also located in Övre Ullerud parish, Södra Botorp could be quite close. Some families may move to another place within the same parish every few years, depending on the jobs they were able to get. If you are interested in how your ancestors moved, you should follow them in the clerical survey records (husförhörslängd, hfl) volume by volume.

The word egare (today ägare) itself simply means owner and can be applied to any kind of posession, but here normally refers to ownership of some landed property, such as a house. Sometimes you will see, listed before the resident family, a named owner without any other data such as birthdate; in that case the owner lives somewhere else. Otherwise, the ownership usually refers to a single house or farm.

2004-03-14, 17:00
Svar #4

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 09:59
    • Visa profil
Perhaps Botorp is the same as Butorp?
If so, youll find Botorp on the first map, on the right sida and Södra Butorp in the middle of the second map.

2004-03-14, 18:52
Svar #5

Eva Johnson Zimmer

Thanks Anders and Bo for your valuable information!

Anders, how could I get access to the Husförhörslängd, hfl (clerical survey records)? Are they kept at the parish office?

Bo, the first map does show Butorp and Olsäter. Directly below Olsäter is Hällekil. Could this be the town that my Gr. Grandfather's farm was named after - Hällekilstorp? Or do I have incorrect information that this is a farm name?  

Do you think the torp on the end of Butorp and Hällekilstorp has nothing to do with the words Torp and Torpare in the above discussion with Elisabeth Thorsell?

Thank you both and Elisabeth for being so helpful.

Sincerely,
Eva

2004-03-14, 20:24
Svar #6

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 09:59
    • Visa profil
On this map, you'll find Hellekilstorp/Hällekilstorp somewhat north of Hellekil/Hällekil.

Hällekil seems to be a larger estate, certainly not a town.

2004-03-14, 21:31
Svar #7

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Eva, it is the same word, and when there were several torp in an area it was natural to give them distinct names, like Stortorp and Lilltorp, or whatever.

The husförhörslängder, often called clerical surveys in English, are available through the Mormon Family History Centers on microfilm. Here in Sweden they are to be found in local libraries, at the Regional archives, and at a few microfiche research centers. You can also buy your own copies of the records, if you want to.

2004-03-15, 05:10
Svar #8

Eva Johnson Zimmer

Bo and Elisabeth,

Thank you for the additional information. I appreciate your help as I try to understand the world my father and grandparents lived in. I would never be able to do this without your help.

I just realize how very much our family here in the U.S. missed out on by not asking our father about his Swedish past in great detail!!

Thanks again,
Eva

2004-03-15, 12:45
Svar #9

Anders Andersson

For some additional local flavor (pictures, tourist information), take a look at the Forshaga kommun website; english-language pages available. For example, under Tourist guide -> Sights -> Museums you will find Övre Ulleruds hembygdsgård (folk museum).

2004-03-15, 21:16
Svar #10

Eva Johnson Zimmer

Anders,

What a treasure of information and pictures!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing that with me.
I cannot tell you all how appreciative I am of your help. I am so thankful you are there for people like me! I know that I will continue to need you for other help also, thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
Eva

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna