ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Brukare af Stommen  (läst 1265 gånger)

2005-09-01, 03:50
läst 1265 gånger

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi,

I have found a smed living in Holm (P) in the 1850s. Sometimes brukare af stommen is written above his name and sometimes it is written in front of his name, along with smed. When I found this record a few years ago, I just assumed it was another location, but now I'm thinking that it is an occupation.

I know that af is the old spelling of av and I have seen brukare as a user, usually in the farm sense, but I've never seen this brukare af stommen used elsewhere. A dictionary defined stom,stomme as: shell, carcass, skeleton, framing, which isn't really helpful to me. Did he do something with dead animals?

Thanks!

Judy

2005-09-01, 06:57
Svar #1

Utloggad Sören Andersson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-11-04, 20:34
    • Visa profil
Stommen is the name of a farm. This farm name is very common in (P) =Älvsborg. Normally it is the name of the farm that the vicar had the right to use as a part of his salary. The vicar normally leased the farm to a professional farmer and your relative is probably a person who has rented such a farm.  
Sören

2005-09-01, 07:19
Svar #2

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Thanks, Sören, I guess my original thought that this was a location was correct and my later hunch was incorrect. I appreciate your quick answer.

Judy

2005-09-01, 17:42
Svar #3

Janne Svensson

smed = blacksmith

Janne

2005-09-01, 19:51
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Janne,

Thanks for your answer. I always appreciate the willingness of the Swedes, especially on Anbytarforum, to help those of us who don't have Swedish as a native language. I don't know what we would do without you.

I do know the meanings of most of the basic occupations, such as smed, since I've been very actively using microfilms/fiche of Swedish parish records plus boupteckningar, mantalslängder, etc. for about five years.  

In preparation for another trip to Salt Lake City's Family History Library, I've been reviewing some of my earlier finds which I printed out as a beginner. In many  cases I've gotten much more out of those copies than I did a few years ago. It was just that I hadn't seen that Brukare af Stommen before and didn't find any location of Stommen in Holm parish when I checked the Rosenberg cd. I don't have the Ortnamn cd, which perhaps does include that location of Stommen in Holm parish (P).

Since I could not find a Stommen in Holm, I started doubting my original interpretation that Stommen was a location, and I'm glad that I checked here on Anbytarforum.

Thank you again for replying to my post.

Judy

2005-09-02, 17:22
Svar #5

Jan Wallander

Hi Judy,
Holm (P) is a parish in the Mellerud municipality - if yoy have got a swedish map yoy will find Mellerud on the western sid of our biggest lake Vänern. I have also looked for Stommen in Holm but no success so I presume that your smed also was a crofter and brukare av Stommen. After a search om Googles I found an inventory list of ruins of crofts in Mellerud and there is a croft Stommen, marked 79 on the map. http://utbildning.mellerud.se/torp/text.htm
Best regards
Jan

2005-09-03, 17:40
Svar #6

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Jan,

This is very interesting information. I hadn't thought that perhaps Stommen might have been in a different parish, but still nearby where he lived in Holm, which at the time seemed to be Herlogsbyn. (Herlogsbyn must be Härlogsbyn, I suppose. I see that spelling in Rosenberg.)

I have some Swedish maps made in Sweden, such as Gröna Kartan (but Holm is just on the edge of the one I have. I need to get a different one.) and Motormännens Sverige Vagatlas. I will study those and search online maps too.  

The Rosenberg cd shows other Stommen in Järn and Skållerud in Nordal härad (which includes Holm) so I need to get a more detailed map to see where this person lived in relationship to the Stommen in each parish. I do remember seeing that one of the sons married and moved to Järn.

The ruined torp in Mellerud seems quite likely and I enjoyed the site and map.

I do see some signs of the man being a torpare for a few years but usually he was just listed as a smed. This person was the father of the first husband of my mormor, so we don't know a lot about the family, other than whatever was found in parish records, bouppteckningar, etc.

I had a lot of family in Dalsland, west of Lake Vänern, mainly in Frändefors, Brålanda, and Gestad parishes, so I've spent a lot of time looking at maps of that part of Sweden. I just need to study the area around Mellerud a bit more than I have in the past.

I really appreciate this interesting information. Tack så mycket!

Judy

2005-09-04, 12:10
Svar #7

Jan Wallander

Hi,
Sorry, I did not mean that Stommen was in a differernt parish, the fact that I couldn?t find it in Holm could perhaps mean that it was a croft under some farm and that your relative is registered directly under the farm.
Re.: Holm, in the Sveriges Kommunkalender there are four parishes with te name Holm: Holm in Halmstad municipality (N), Holm in Enköping municipality (C), Holm in Sundsvall municipality (Y) and Holm in Mellerud municipality (P). So if there is a (P) it is no doubt that Mellerud is the place for investigations.

Good Luck!
Jan

2005-09-04, 20:38
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Jan,

Thank you for clarifying your answer. Yes, the parish of Holm is absolutely the one in Älvsborg (although I am the person who added the the län code of P. There was no P in the records, which were microfilms of the husförhörslängder.) and I think that Stommen was probably a torp under Herlogsbyn, since that location was also on that page in several HFL books.

I appreciate your answers very much. It is very kind of you to help me the way you have.

(I've certainly learned a great deal about Swedish geography, by the way, in the past five years.)

Judy

2005-09-04, 20:48
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi,

Someone (Erik?) sent me a post with the subject Swedish Online Maps. I found it in my spam folder but instead of transfering it to my inbox, I accidentally deleted it. If that person sees this message, please send it again and I'll try to be more careful this time. Thanks.

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna