ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Kopparberg län Emigration to Hytting 25:13???  (läst 1165 gånger)

2005-01-09, 12:06
läst 1165 gånger

Greg Lamberson

Hello,

I am tracing Maria Håkansdotter b. 21 Sep., 1844 in Råda (Norra Råda sn.) Värmlands län. Maria moved to Falu (Falun) (Kosnås, St. Kopparsberg sn., Kopparberg län) in 1861.

Maria is found in the household examination book in Kosnås page 299 in 1861 (Genline reference 176.52.58100) but appears to move to Hytting 25:13 in early 1862 as recorded in the household exam book.

I have looked in Hytting, St. Tuna sn. but she is not to be found there. Is this reference possibly to a block (kvarter) in another parish? IIs there another place referred to as Hytting? Have I misinterpreted the information?

The migration is located in the wrong column but appears otherwise correct to me.

Can anyone suggest another place to look?

All suggestions are most appreciated.

Regards,

Greg Lamberson

2005-01-09, 21:05
Svar #1

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 542
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-04, 18:34
    • Visa profil
Hi Greg,
There is a place call Hyttinge in Virestad parish in Kronobergs län but that seems to be a long way to move.
However in St. Tuna there is also a place called Hyttings fäbodar and a farm called Hyttingsheden.
Did you look in those places as well?
I don't know how the exam book for St. Tuna looks but if those two places are separated from the village Hytting  they might be worth a try!

Regards  
Barbro Ärnhage

2005-01-09, 22:10
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
When a person moves, and the place she moves to is not a recognisable parish name, then she usually moves within the present parish.

I have looked at the page you mention and the note for Maria is very faint, and hard to read. Have you followed her parents and siblings in the next book? They ought to be found in the same village then, and maybe she shows up with them again.  

The name of the place is Korsnäs, by the way.

2005-01-10, 04:51
Svar #3

Greg Lamberson

Thank you both for responding.

Elisabeth, thank you for correcting my spelling of Korsnäs. We Americans are not used to your extra letters. My apologies.

Yes, the writing on this entry is very faint. I have posted the entry at this site:
http://webpages.charter.net/glamberson/Maria.jpg

Here is a view of the page where this entry is:
http://webpages.charter.net/glamberson/Maria1.jpg

Again, I will point out that the entry is recorded in the wrong column but seems a correct migration entry.

Since the entry is in a household exam book for the Falun area, the number entries seem likely to be in the same area. I think this means q. 25 g. 13 (Kvarter 25, Gård 13) but I do not know. However, I really do not know how to find out where this would be. Is there some way to determine where kvarter 25 in Falun is?

Maria is not in the immigration or emigration entries for St. Kopparberg or St. Tuna for this 1862 move.  

Maybe it is not Hytting. My other guesses included Hästling Håstling and other such things. I first thought it was Helsberg, but I Hytting seemed a closer guess. Given the number entries after the name, I have thought that the place must be in the same local area, in or near Falun.

I have searched the entire St. Kopparberg parish, and she is not there as far as I can see. Now I will search all of St. Tuna.

Does anyone else have ideas?

Maria is not found with her parents in the next book, by the way. I have looked for over 30 hours for her, and I am desperate to find where she went. By 1867 she should be married to Nils Pettr Andersson (b. 15 Mar 1842, unknown place), and in 1869, these three migrate to America some time before August.  

Thank you for the help, and I eagerly await any further suggestions while I look harder in St. Tuna sn.

2005-01-10, 10:05
Svar #4

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Hi Greg!

Falun has two parishes, Stora Kopparberg and Kristine. In Falu Kristine Kvarter and Gård numbers are used a lot (often written 25:13). If you haven't looked in the hfl for Kristine I would start with that, I have found those books much easier to look into than the ones from Stora Tuna. I've found that the books of Stora Kopparberg often (at least in mid 1800) regard a move to the sister parish Kristine as a move within the parish.

Best regards
Bibi Gustafson

2005-01-10, 10:35
Svar #5

Greg Lamberson

Bibi,

Thank you for the information. I have looked in Kristine sn. also, and they do have Qvarter and Gård labeled very clearly throughout their records. However, Genline does not have complete household examination records online past 1806 for this parish. Therefore, I am unable to determine if Kristine sn. is the correct one for sure.

In contrast, St. Kopparberg sn. records make extensive use of Qvarter and Gård references for people who move, but they make no reference in these same records regarding what named areas correspond to which Qvarter. Since I have looked through the whole book for Maria and not found her, I either missed her or she is in another parish or did not get recorded.

In looking at the Kristine sn. Immigration and Emigration records for 1862 (which I do have access to), and the household exam records for before 1807, I never see any reference to Qvarter 25 there.  

Is there some way for me to find out where to look for Qvarter 25 Falun?

2005-01-10, 12:17
Svar #6

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Greg, the original records are kept at the Provincial Archives at Uppsala.

You can e-mail them at landsarkivet@landsarkivet-uppsala.ra.se

and give them the reference to the last page, where you found Maria and ask them to follow her to the next book or wherever she moved.  

I don't think they will charge you for just one question.

2005-01-10, 13:27
Svar #7

Greg Lamberson

Elisabeth,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not have the email address for the Regional Archives in Uppsala, nor would I have thought to try it.

I have sent them a message and will await for their reply.

Regards,

Greg Lamberson

2005-01-10, 13:50
Svar #8

Nils-Gunnar Eriksson

Hej Greg!

Your guess Hästling is better than Hytting. But even better is Hästberg an old farm near the church in Stora Kopparberg parish. Genline doesn't offer you the household exam book number AI:23  for St Kopparberg. I went to my library and in page 254 I found Hästberg and Maria Håkansson born 21 Sep. 1844 in Råda parish. She stayed in Hästberg only one year before she moved to the town Gävle in 21 Oct. 1862. You can find the departure in the Immigration and Emigration records B:8, GID number 176.18.49900, row nr 70 on  the right side of the page.

From Gävle I have earlier found young people often goes to Stockholm. So I tried a CD for the south of the city (Söder). To my surprise I found Maria living there during 1878-1886. Her name was Jansson, she was married to a policeman and had a daughter born 1874. If you are interested to know more about Maria and Stockholm, I think you can ask Elisabeth Thorsell to tell you. She knows Stockholm better than I do and she writes even a better English.

Hälsningar Nils-Gunnar Eriksson (living less than half a mile from Hästberg)

2005-01-10, 14:28
Svar #9

Greg Lamberson

Mr. Eriksson,

Thank you very much for your efforts! Unfortunately for me, if this Maria was in Stockholm in 1878-1886, this cannot be my ancestor. I was so sure that this was her.

My grandmother told me before she died that her grandmother Maria Häkansdr was born in Värmland 21 Sep 1844 (She thought it was Eda or Råda, and there is none in Eda). After that I know she married a Nils Pettr Andersson (b. 15 Mar 1842, unknown place) and had daughter Amelia before migrating to the US (into New York) in the summer of 1869.

Are you sure this is the same Maria? If so, I guess my search of over 25 years must continue.

Regards,

Greg Lamberson

2005-01-10, 14:55
Svar #10

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Dear Greg,

I have checked some emigration indexes and have failed to find a suitable family there.  

I wonder if you have identified the family in any of the U.S. censuses? Did the dates fit with the ones that your family tradition has? Where did they settle? Have you tried to find out if they were members of a local Swedish American church? Those had very good records, and they are available in the U.S, at the Swenson Center in Rock Island, Ill.

Any old letters, photos, obituaries, tombstones?

2005-01-10, 15:31
Svar #11

Greg Lamberson

Elisabeth,

Yes, I have detailed records on the family here in America. Numerous censuses indicate that they migrated in 1869, and their next daughter Ella's family here indicate Ella was born right after they got off the boat. Ella's birthdate is in Aug 1869.

Daughter Amelia was born about 1866.

I also have seen no suitable family, but I do not have access to the Swedish emigration records on CD. There are no letters, but I do have photos of them and their tombstones, which list their dates of birth but no birthplace.  

Also, I have both of their death certificates. Nils's death certificate indicates his parents were Doc Anderson and Lottie _?_. This information seems suspicious. Maria's father is listed as Carl Persson and no mother is listed, but my grandmother thought Maria's father was named Häkan. The Maria that I am tracing has a father named Häkan Persson.

The family first lived in the Jamestown, New York, area, where there are several Swedish churches. I have never had access to these records, either. From 1869 to about 1883, the family lived in this area in western New York and northern Pennsylvania. After that, they moved to eastern Virginia (oddly enough), and after about 10 years they moved to Shelby County, Missouri.

In 1870, Nils is listed as a wood chopper (lumberjack). In Virginia, the family of daughter Ella has a family story about Nils being involved in ship building in Göteborg for a couple of years before they came to America.

In 1871 the couple had my great grandfather, Charles Peter Anderson. Their last child Mary was born in 1874. In 1912, my grandmother Mary Louise Anderson was born. Nils Peter Anderson died in 1917, and Maria (Mary in America) died in 1926. My grandmother lived with or near both of her grandparents but knew more about her grandmother Mary, for whom she was named. My grandmother died in 1997, and I had asked her several times about her family before she died. I started researching in 1979.

Rock Island is near Chicago, and I live in the southern tip of Illinois. It is not an easy trip for me to make, but I may pay someone there to look in the records for me.

Also, while living in Virginia, Nils donated land and helped build a Baptist church there. They were very strict and devout Baptists when my grandmother was born, but I have no information about if they were Baptist in Sweden.

More information about my Swedish family can be found here, although I need to update it:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~glamberson/Main-site-p/NPAndersson.htm

Anyway, this is more information than is useful, but as a genealogy addict, it is hard to shut me up once I start!

Now I am looking through Gävle manually, and I hope that Mr. Eriksson's discovered family is a different family from the Maria I am now tracking.

Have you further suggestions?

Greg Lamberson

2005-01-12, 00:14
Svar #12

Greg Lamberson

Everyone,  

I want to thank you so much for your help. Today I got an email from the Regional Archives in Uppsala repeating Mr. Eriksson's information that Maria went to Hästberg in St. Kopparberg then to Gävle in 1862. I had no idea that the records I was looking at were not complete for the years in question.

Now I am about 2/3 finished looking in Gävle, and I will hold out hope that this Maria I am following is my great-great grandmother. Otherwise, it is good practice only, but practice is also good.

I am most grateful to all of you!

Warm regards,
Greg Lamberson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna