ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Love Spoons  (läst 638 gånger)

2006-07-08, 01:54
läst 638 gånger

Utloggad Scott Satterfield

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 468
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-06, 04:55
    • Visa profil
I have a spoon that my great great grandfather carved for his betrothed.  I understand that it is a Swedish Love Spoon.  I find information on Celtic love spoons, but not much about the Swedish customs.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any information!

2006-07-08, 02:30
Svar #1

Utloggad Sara Näslund

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 35
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-08-03, 13:03
    • Visa profil
I don't know if spoons in particular was customary as gifts, but I do know that it was customary to make gifts for your future wife (and husband) - while the men mainly made woodwork, the women sew and made embroideries.  

Maybe the spoons were a local custom - where were your great great grandfather from? Or maybe someone else, that know more of marriage customs could give you an answer.

2006-07-08, 04:29
Svar #2

Utloggad Scott Satterfield

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 468
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-06, 04:55
    • Visa profil
He was born in 1845 in Byn, Fröskog, Dalsland.  He carved the spoon and gave it to his future wife with the name Mrs. August Erikson on it.

2006-07-08, 12:24
Svar #3

Utloggad Per Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1827
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-04, 21:36
    • Visa profil
Scott.

This item may well be of interest to Nordiska Mus?et, that collect and investigate all sorts of old Swedish customs. If you send an email with a description of the spoon and the circumstances as you know them, if possible with a picture attached, you may get som valuable feed-back. One person to start with is:
Johan Knutsson
johan.knutsson@nordiskamuseet.se

Take good care of your spoon, and keep it together with a description of its background.

Per Thorsell.

2006-07-08, 20:28
Svar #4

Bo Johansson

If you search Google images with fästmansgåva or friargåvayou will see some variants of such gifts.

// Bo Johansson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna