ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Betrothals  (läst 625 gånger)

2003-12-20, 01:08
läst 625 gånger

Carolyn Johnson Eccles

I am looking at a trolovning in Blentarp socken Malmohus and I find 2 men are listed as löftes mann, or spelling close to that. What was the purpose for these men? Were they relatives of the betrothal couple?

I find a date of 2nd Sunday after xiii day. Is that 2nd Sunday after epiphany?
Thanks

2003-12-20, 22:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hello Carolyn,

Yes, a löftesman (literal translation: promiseman) was usually a relation i.e. the father of the bride. His role was to act as a sponsor.

I'm afraid that I cannot answer your last question, but hopefully someone else can!

Kind regards
Ann

2003-12-20, 23:21
Svar #2

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Hello Carolyn!

Epiphany, the day the 3 Holy Kings visited the newborn Jesus (following the Star of Bethlehem) is called the 13th day of Xmas in Sweden, twelth night in English, i.e. January 6. The difference in numbers is caused by the fact that we count from Xmas Eve=13 and in England etc the count is based on Xmas Day.  

Best regards,
Bibi Gustafson

2003-12-21, 01:31
Svar #3

Anders Andersson

I don't think christmas eve has much to do with it. Christmas day (December 25) is first day of christmas also in Sweden, December 26 is second day of christmas (Annandag jul), and by that sequence January 6 becomes the 13th day of (not after) christmas.

2003-12-21, 01:58
Svar #4

Anders Andersson

According to the Oxford Reference Dictionary: Twelfth-day n. 6 January, the twelfth day after Christmas, the feast of Epiphany. Twelfth-night n. the night before this, formerly the last day of Christmas festivities and observed as a time of merrymaking.

Thus, the difference in terminology is not due to December 24 being referred to as the origin of Christmas (it never has been). Only December 25 and 26 are public holidays in Sweden (as is January 6), not December 24, but few people work on December 24 anyway.

2003-12-21, 10:48
Svar #5

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
One shouldn't do these things at night just before going to bed, tired from Xmas preparations... This morning (before reading this) I did some counting and realized my mistake regarding Dec 24 as starting point in Swedish counting of Xmas days. Thank you, Anders, for correcting this.

Merry Xmas to all of you
Bibi

2003-12-22, 02:47
Svar #6

Carolyn Johnson Eccles

Back to the löftesman. Since there are 2 listed is one for the groom and one for the bride or they both for the bride??
Thanks to you all for your input.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna