ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Workhouses  (läst 610 gånger)

2004-01-19, 16:58
läst 610 gånger

Mary E. Leveille

One of my ancestors was moved to the work house in Östra Tollstad in 1830 and died in 1836. She was the widow of a soldier killed during a campaign on the Norweigian border in 1814. Does anyone have any information on what these workhouses were like at that time? Would she have lived a hard life? Any information would be welcome.

2004-01-19, 18:51
Svar #1

Utloggad Monica Warnstam

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 342
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-03-03, 13:19
    • Visa profil
    • www.warnstam.se
Mary,  
would you please give us the name of your ancestor.
I would like to take a look and see what is registered. I am not quite sure about what you mean with work house.

2004-01-19, 22:07
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
The most common Swedish word for work house is fattigstuga or fattighus.  

Each parish was supposed to have a place, where people in need could find shelter and some food and care, but it was a hard and difficult life, as the food often was of bad quality and sparse. The inmates most often lived in one big room together and had just a place to sleep in, and no or very little personal belongings. Clothes were provided by parish funds or by charity.  

The inmates could both be young unwed mothers and their babies, and old folks unable to take of themselves.

2004-01-20, 00:34
Svar #3

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
I hope that Elisabeth doesn't mind if I mention that literally translated fattighus means  poorhouse.  

Ann

2004-01-20, 14:42
Svar #4

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Ann, of course I don't mind. But it is the same kind of institution anyway. Maybe in a workhouse the inmates were more supposed to contribute to their keep by doing some easy work, like spinning or wood crafts for men.

2004-01-20, 16:12
Svar #5

Mary E. Leveille

Monica(Mowa)
My ancestors name was Lisa Samuelsdotter, born in Öjebro Herrberga in 1766. After her husband (also my ancestor) died during a military campaign in 1814, she moved to Grindstugan Mogestad and then in 1830 she move to the workhouse in Östra Tollstad. She died on August 16, 1836. Her parents were Samuel Jacobsson and his wife Brita. She had a son Anders, born on October 9, 1801 in Mogestad. He was also a soldier. I thank you for your interest in this. Also thank you to all the other people who answered with information.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna