ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish literature and film  (läst 969 gånger)

2005-02-08, 03:04
läst 969 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Before traveling abroad, I try to read literature and plays, and to view some films from that country.  I feel that this offers a window into the culture of a nation.  In preparation for last year's trip to Ireland, I read Irish poetry, plays and novels - including Joyce's Ulysses.  Now I am preparing for a trip to Denmark and Sweden, and I would appreciate ideas of what to read (in English translation)that might provide both a cultural background, and a peek into today's popular selections.  I have already read Per Anders Fogelströms City of My Dreams, two of Hjalmar Söderberg's novels, two of Kerstin Ekman's novels, and some of Henning Mankell's works that take place in Scåne.  I plan to read Astrid Lindgren's stories, and I will try to get a translation of Vilhelm Moberg's Soldat Med Brutet Gevär.  I will read Karen Blixen's memoirs of Africa, and I own many of the films of Ingmar Bergman. I need more ideas for my spring reading. Any suggestions?

2005-02-08, 10:52
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Of special interest to a genealogist are a few other books by Vilhelm Moberg, the Utvandrarna-saga (the Emigrants) and also Raskens about a soldier and his family under the old allotment system. I know for sure that the Utvandrarna-saga is translated.
For some fun, light reading, try Frans G. Bengtsson and Röde Orm (I think it's called The Long Ships in English); it's about Vikings. You won't learn much about Vikings, but you'll learn how the Swedes perceive their Viking ancestors and the image we have of them.
You could also try August Strindberg, I'd recommend Röda rummet (the red room) and Hemsöborna (the people of Hemsö) - and I'm sure they're both translated but I don't know the English titles.
And of course, Selma Lagerlöf! Nils Holgerssons underbara resa (Nils Holgersson's wonderful journey), written to be used in school it is a geography lesson. All of Sweden - except for some reason, Halland. There is also Gösta Berlings saga; I believe it was the first major part Greta Garbo played (as the young countess Dohna).

By a Danish author, Benjamin Jacobsen, there is the perfectly hilarious Midt i en klunketid, all about his childhood in Copenhagen. Unfortunately I have no idea whether it has ever been translated ...

Ingela

2005-02-08, 12:45
Svar #2

Utloggad Steve Palmquist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1210
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-12-06, 15:18
    • Visa profil
From danish modern litterature I suggest Klaus Rifbjerg and Susanne Broegger. I know some of their books are translated to english (but I do not remember which ones).  
Also watch the 25 years old TV serie Matador and the newly produced Kroeniken (about the last 50 years in the danish society). They are both fiction and well acted and very informative about the Danish society and culture. They are both avaiable to the video audeience (but I have no idea if they have subtitles) AND of course not at least, because it is now 2005, 200 years after his birth and a big worldwide jubilee: Hans Christian Andersens tales, but also his diaries and personal letters. Welcome to Scandinavia:

Sincerely yours: Steve Palmquist

2005-02-08, 12:53
Svar #3

Ingrid Wikberg

I'll just recomend the wonderful poet Thomas Tranströmer - all his work up to today.... and he IS translated into english and wellknown, very  loved and honoured too! He is one of the swedish authors that influence even other language-cultures. He is my cup of tea and some stanzas written by him everyday -gives me something to think about. Always. He is great!  

You'll be surprised and delighted..... IF you like poetry

2005-02-08, 12:55
Svar #4

Ingrid Wikberg

Hi Steve   Perfect suggestions too...(of course!)
//Inkan

2005-02-08, 13:19
Svar #5

Steve Pamquist

Dear Karen Kelsey another great swedish author and universalgenius (which I do not know if he is translated into english language though) is Carl Jonas Love Almqvist and his dramanovel (romaunt)Drottningens juvelsmycke (The Queens Jewelry) from 1840?s, about the fascinating boygirl/hemafrodite: Azouras Lazuli Tintomara. the story is a fiction about what happened before, during and after the fatal murder of king Gustavus III (in the end of the 18th century.
Another thing I forgotten about the danish film productions is of course Lars von Trier?s and Thomas Vinterberg?s Dogma films (several) which I personaly are not so keen on, but which are wellknown and avaiable in the english spoken world aswell.

AND finaly to my friend Inkan aswell! How lovely to say hello from Spain and from one of the places Laurie Lee also visited....

My varmest Andalucin Regards to both: Steve

2005-02-08, 23:37
Svar #6

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks to all of you!  I will sign into Amazon.com and see which of these authors and titles are available in English, and then make out my wish list.  I enjoy poetry, novels, essays and drama or film, so the suggestions sound wonderful!

2005-02-09, 02:03
Svar #7

Elsie V. Martin

Hello Karen,
If you want to address the matter of sentimentality, especially as regards the province of Småland, I would suggest Gäst hos värkligheten, by Per Lagerkvist (in translation, Guest of Reality).  To view how matters have changed in modern Sweden I would suggest, The Diary of A Beekeeper, by Lars Gustafsson.  You might get some clues on the particular behaviour of your Swedish ancestors.  I would also recommend Vem älskar Yngve Frej,
translated as Who loves Yngve Frej.  I don't know if the latter work appears in translation.
Wishing you the best for your trip to Sweden.  It will surpass all of your dreams!!
Elsie Ekstrom Martin
Brooklyn Center, MN
VP for Swedish Genealogical Society of MN

2005-02-09, 07:46
Svar #8

Ingrid Wikberg

Elsie...just a small pm: not värk-... (värk means pain!)It must be spelled Verk-...(verkligheten) ie reality.... so you find the right word in a sw/eng dictionary

2005-02-09, 10:31
Svar #9

Utloggad Steve Palmquist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1210
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-12-06, 15:18
    • Visa profil
Hello Karen, Elsie and Inkan the Ä (it succeded create it on this Spanish computer!!!) as you know, should be in the name of Pär (Lagerkvist). I quite often spell words and name wrong myself when I am writing on a computer, so I do not blame anyone...smiley (I have forgotten how to do that smiley sign again...)
Another great danish author from the late 19th century, was Herman(maybe two N?)Bang. For example his books Ved vejen and not at least (well known also to an english speaking audience I suppose) Babettes Gaestebud (Babettes Party)which won an Oscars when it was filmed, now years ago.

Best wishes from my mediteranean balcony and check point: Steve

2005-02-09, 11:07
Svar #10

Ingrid Wikberg

Karen,Steve, Elsie -I understand the problem with our letters in foreign countries- I have a friend outside San Fransisco...I just love to read her essays with no dots or dobbeldots...but it almost always ends up in understanding her swedish from her computer. ( Kind of adventure... but it is fun.)  

I envy you Steve: the (Meddi-blue ?) sea and Laurie Lee and Babette ( that Karen!!! -I love her) -at your balcony....is there a better way?

Karen! we have wonderful seasides even here in Sweden: the westcoast and even the eastern coast with the lovely archipelago outside Stockholm. Welcome!

2005-02-12, 12:38
Svar #11

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I never expected so many suggestions.  Thanks to all of you!  I do expect to see the seasides because I will stay in Malmö (and take the train to Copenhagen), and then in Skanör - with side trips into Småland.  I will wait to see Stockholm until the summer of 2006, but I may drive to Varmland this year - just to see an area that is totally different from the south.
   I thank everyone for their suggestions.  I feel that the culture of a country can be glimpsed through its literature and film.  BTW- we want to see the Blixen Museum in Denmark because my farmors family emigrated from Nasbyholm estate in Scåne - which was suppposed to be owned by the Blixens.  (They had been tenant farmers, carpenters, and the women did the washing on that estate.)
   Thanks to everyone!   Karen

2005-02-13, 08:01
Svar #12

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Näsbyholm is still owned by the Blixen-Finecke family; the present incumbent is baron Dick von Blixen-Finecke.
The estate is first mentioned in the early 14th century when it was the residence of knights of the well-known Galen family. Originally there was a castle on an island in the the Näsbyholm lake. The castle was pulled down in 1865, the lake was drained and a new manor house was built. This manor house was - except for the west wing - destroyed by a fire in 1955 and the present house was built in 1957 with the east wing added as late as 1994. The lake was partly recreated in 2004.

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna