ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Military names- generated from where you lived?  (läst 307 gånger)

2006-09-02, 23:37
läst 307 gånger

Ostrom Astrom

When my far-far-far-far died on 26 Oct 1859 (name= Per Eric Astrom) in the village of Satterbo, Vastmanland the family was required to move to the fatig huset. Per Eric was military assign to Satterbo I believe.  The name of the man who moved into Lugnet (the house of the soldier in Satterbo), was Olin.  We he made that move the parish priest lined through Olin and wrote Astrom.  I have been telling swedish friends here in Kingsburg, CA (your society was here a couple of years ago) that often one's swedish name (if you have a nature name like Cederquist, Satterberg, Satterstrom-all names from my family's history) it came from the house and village you were assigned to. Is that correct? (Satterberg & Satterstrom are listed on a picture of a military duplex in the little historical building in Hammaro, (near Karlstad) Varmland.  Thanks for your help

2006-09-03, 08:49
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Names are often, but not always, generated from where you lived. Taking farm names as surnames is more common in Norway. Soldiers very often got the name assigned to the soldier?s house. Thus all soldiers from a certain assigned house often had the same name and it was changed from their original name as they moved in. This may lead you to believe that they were all related, which was not the case. One of my ancestors had three names, his original patronymic and two more as he had two different solder?s assignments. This is what you see when Olin was renamed Åström.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna