ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help Needed, Richard Schauger  (läst 1064 gånger)

2006-03-24, 13:59
läst 1064 gånger

Richard F. Schauger

I am looking for help from a certified Genealogist (and will pay the going rate for information) to obtain birth, marriage and death information about my great, great grandfather who was from Uddevalla, Sweden.  His name was Robert Rudolph Schauger, born 12/28/1790 and who was married to Marie or Margaret Catherine Bergstrom, born 7/27/1796.  I have a copy of the Uddevalla Household Census 1825-1843, Page 43, showing Robert Rudolph, Marg. Cath Bergstrom and five children: Son Carl Julius; Gaughter Marg Aurora, Daughter Bretta Louisa, Son August Sardinia and Son Svante Conrad (my great grandfather who moved to Oslo, Norway where he Antonette Johannesdotter)

Unfortunately, I have been uable to locate any birth or marriage information on Robert Rudolph Schauger so I am gesperately seeking the help of someone in Uddevalla.  Thank You

2006-03-24, 15:19
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Richard,

Urmakaren, ungkarlen, herr (Watchmaker, bachelor, Mister) Robert Rudolf Schager from Uddevalla married Jungfrun (Maiden, of better class) Maja (=Maria) Catharina Bergström (Bengtsdotter?? very fuzzy text) on 7 October 1818 in Foss parish (Source Foss parish Birth, Marriages and Deaths, C3 page 503  Genline). She lived at Saltkällan, Uddevalla. Since one daughter is listed as born 1817 this seems strange, but the name is unusual.

2006-03-24, 15:44
Svar #2

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Richard

Watchmaker Robert Rudolph Schager died 5 September 1834 from Cholera during the great epidemic. (Source Deaths Uddevalla C7 p 894, Genline). He had a posthumous daughter Rosa Rudolphina on 11 September 1834. She later married an Englishman, Spinning Master John Lambly Potter and lives in Vänersborg from 1871.

2006-03-25, 13:02
Svar #3

Richard F. Schauger

Dear Chris
Thank you so very much for responding with great information.  It will help fill in many blanks in my search and is greatly appreciated.  The one thing I have the greatest interest in however, is any birth information on Robert Rudolph Schager. I would love to be able to find out with certainty where he was born, if he was born in Sweden, or as some in the family have claimed, came from Germany.  Are there any records anywhere where his birth information might be found.  Thanks again.

2006-03-25, 14:54
Svar #4

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Richard,

There is no note of his place of birth in the household registers. There are Schagers in Sweden, most of them from a blacksmith?s family originally immigrated from Europe. Schager is also a German name, so the lack of birth parish may mean that he actually came from there. It seems he was in Gothenburg as a watchmaker?s journeyman before moving to Uddevalla. The eldest daughter was born 18 months before the marriage but it seems Robert was the father. His (future) wife is kyrktagen (taken into the church again after childbirth) as his betrothed and at the time he is mentioned as in Gothenburg. I have no access to a broadband connection at the moment so I will look more later. There are different ways to search for it, but records get more difficult the further back you go.  
The spelling change evidently occurred on your ancestor?s (Konrad) move to Norway, he is listed in the 1865 census as Railway employee in Oslo and the name is spelled Schauger. He is married to Bergitte Johansdatter (seems to have changed her name!), aged 29, and has son Konrad B Schauger aged 11 and daughter Emma aged 2. They lived at Pibervikens Bakkegade (=street) in Oslo (Christiania)

2006-03-26, 05:17
Svar #5

Richard F. Schauger

Chris,

You are incredible!  You have provided information that I never could have obtained on my own.  I shall be eternally grateful.  Anything further you can find on the life history of Robert Rudolph Schager will be very much appreciated.

The name change from  Schager to Schauger threw me off for quite a while, but the info you found about Konrad (Svante Conrad) is partially consistent with that which I have found to date.
Based on the census information indicated in my inital inquiry, it is my understanding that Svante had two brothers, and two sisters. Someday I hope to be able to find out more about them, however my preference is to work backward from Svante Conrad and learn more about Robert Rudolph's birth and death, especially the possibility that he may have come from Germany as alleged by some of my family.

Your information on Svante (Konrad) is consistent with my research except for the fact that Svante (who apparently may have also changed his name to Robert Conrad Schauger in Norway) married Bergetta Antionette Jensen and they had five children: Conrad, a member of the Norweigan Navy who came to America in 1886; Emmma who reportedly came to America, Rose who remained in Norway, Thomas,my Grandfather, who was also a member of the Norweigan navy and came to America in 1890 and Fredrick, the twin brother of Thomas who drowned while in military service.  If your searches happen to uncover any different information, I would be happy to hear about your findings.

Also, if you could send me a separate e-mail with your mailing address, I would be happy to send you copies of the census and marriage documents I have for your review and interpretation.  My e-mail address is RSchauger@aol.com.  Maybe your experience with these types of documents will make more sense out of the data then what I see.

Thanks again so much for all of your help. You have truly been great.

2006-03-26, 05:19
Svar #6

Chuck Mäki

Pomerania was in Swedish hands until about 1814.  Is it possible that Schauger was from this area and went to Sweden when the land came under Prussian control?  Are there Swedish records for Swedish Pomerania when it was under Swedish rule?  Certainly this would fit the family stories of being German and being Swedish

Chuck

2006-03-26, 08:29
Svar #7

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Richard

Svante Conrad had 4 sisters and one brother as far as I can see now (household record). (These will have to be confirmed by finding the birth records): Brother Carl Julius b 24 june 1822, Sisters: Maria (Margareta?) Aurora b 23 Feb 1817, Beata Lovisa b 3 Jan 1820, Augusta Sardina b 16 Oct 1824, Rosa Rudolfina b 11 Sept 1834. In the 1890 census Beata Lovisa is still living in Vänersborg. She had at least 5 children with prison warden and widower, later shop keeper Carl Peter Dalberg and died 8 May 1893.  
Before 1901 names could be changed freely in Sweden, also the spelling varied considerably in diffrent sources.
I am sending my mail address separately

Chris

2006-06-28, 20:28
Svar #8

Eva Leksell

In a book about watchmakers, Urmakare och klockor i Sverige och Finland by Gunnar Pipping, there is a short biography on Robert Rudolf Schager.

It says he was born 28 dec 1790 in Uddevalla and died 5 sept 1834. Han was for some time a watchmaker's journeyman in Gothenburg and then 1817 emplyed by Z Schelin in Uddevalla. Schager was permitted 1819 to establish a watch factory in Uddevalla. And 1824 he asked for permission to move his business to Gothenburg, but was denied. Married to Maria Chatarina Bergström.

I had a quick glance in the birthbook for Uddevalla but could not find him at the given date (and it seems not at all in december). Either the date or the place is wrong.

And just a correction: Saltkällan, where Maria Catharina Bergström lived, is in Foss parish, not in Uddevalla.

2006-06-28, 21:38
Svar #9

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Eva

I am at the moment researching the Schauger family for his descendants in the US. Robert Rudolph Schauger was born Schager in Skoga Kniphammare, Svennevad, Örebro län on 28 Dec 1792. Shows how difficult family research can be sometimes - wrong dates and unlikely birth places. The family turned out to have an interesting past, with a long line of smiths which apparently was very close to being a watchmaker in those days. I am sure his family will apreciate your input.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna