ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Another Phrase  (läst 2468 gånger)

2009-11-23, 17:46
läst 2468 gånger

Utloggad Ken Johnson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 105
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-02-18, 15:37
    • Visa profil
My ancestors brought this with them from Sweden and the older folks say it when we have large family gatherings before we eat.

I know it is a prayer thanking Jesus for the food and I/we know basically what it means.

When I look it up it makes no sense, the closest thing I can find is a Norwegian prayer (at least the first two lines).

I have shown it to a couple of Swedish people it doesn't quite make sense to them.

I Jesu namn gå vi till bords (Swedish - I Jesu namn till bords vi gå,)
Äta dricka på Guds ord       (Swedish - välsigna, Gud, den mat vi får,)
Gud till ära oss till gagn   (Swedish - Gud till ära, oss till gagn,)
Sa fa vi mat i Jesu namn     (Swedish - Så få vi mat i Jesu namn,)
Amen

Why would this be so different then modern Swedish?  

Could you give me an exact translation

and...

give me some history of this version?

Does anyone still say it this way?

Tack så mycket
Ken Jonsson

(Meddelandet ändrat av kenjohn 2009-11-23 16:53)

2009-11-23, 20:46
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
I've only seen the version you've given in parenthesis, maybe someone else has seen your version.

According to a Swedish page at Wikipedia, it's an old hymn, and the text exists in different versions - the origin of the text is unknown. Wikipedia also mentions which number it's had in a few editions of Swedish hymn books, the oldest example listed being from a Herrnhutian hymn book from 1770, where it has the heading Prayer-Song before Meal, with the opening line In the name of Jesus we go to the table.

A translation of your version:

In Jesus' name we go to the table
Eat, drink on God's word  
To honor God, and benefit us  
We receive food in Jesus' name
Amen  

Äta dricka på Guds ord (Eat, drink on God's word) is a strange wording, but based on the 1770 version of the song I think it means that we recieve food and drink thanks to God's promise to provide for us.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna