ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Ontario Ave.  (läst 1162 gånger)

2005-05-11, 15:40
läst 1162 gånger

Björn Edman

I have three photos of my grandfather?s brother and sisters from about 1899. The photographer?s name is von Dieck and address 92nd St. & Ontario Ave.. No city is mentioned. I suppose it is in Illinois.
Can anybody tell me the name of the city?
/Björn

2005-05-11, 20:50
Svar #1

Stein Rypern

Most likely Chicago, IL. 

A google search on 92nd street Ontario Ave ga tre treff - alle i Chicago, IL.

Googlesøk på von Dieck og Chicago finner referanse til Th. Von Dieck, Photographer, United States, Illinois, South Chicago.

Smil,
 Stein

2005-05-11, 21:53
Svar #2

Bjorn Edman

Stein!

Thank you very much for your information.

/Björn

2005-05-12, 20:07
Svar #3

Stein Rypern

Good grief - there you see the effect of only getting a total of four hours of sleep total during the last two nights - a weird mix of English and Norwegian.

Sorry about that - but it seems like you understood me anyways :-)

Smile,
Stein, more focused today after a full night of sleep

2005-05-13, 20:04
Svar #4

Björn Edman

Årligt talat, jag lade inte ens märke till att en del av svaret var skrivet på norska. Blev så glad att problemet fick en lösning.
Hälsar Björn i Göteborg

2005-05-17, 17:18
Svar #5

Utloggad Nancy Wiberg Jones

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 127
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Hi Bjorn!

This same location (92nd Street and Ontario) came up in another discussion on Anbytarforum.  

See http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/messages/241/30606.html?1026761595  

Best regards,

Nancy

2005-05-17, 20:07
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Björn,

Please tell who these relatives are and I will check the Chicago City directories at my genealogical society library.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ssghs/sslib.htm

I have a key so I can get in even when the library is closed.

Not everyone is listed but we won't know unless we check. Please provide the time period when these people were in Chicago since there are many directories to check and the print is tiny.

Judy

2005-05-18, 19:28
Svar #7

Njörn Edman

Hi Judy,

The three photos from 1899 represent Carl Edman, his brother Otto Edman and his sister Emma Edman. Emma is most interesting for me. She married that year and this is the wedding photo. Perhaps her surname was Lindskog (from Sweden). 1927 she was living in Purnock, CF, and married Mastrud. I  know that she died 1934. But I do not knoe anything about her husbands Lindskog and Mastrud.

/Björn

2005-05-18, 19:41
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Björn,

I'll look in the directories and see if I can find them. I don't, however, understand this Purnock, CF. I don't see Purnock in my modern world atlas. I had guessed that CF might be someone's abbreviation for California, but I don't find a listing of Purnock in California's index of locations on the online 1895 U.S. Atlas.

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/

Judy

2005-05-18, 21:40
Svar #9

Björn Edman

Nancy,  

I had not seen before that there is another discussion just now on this topic here in Anbytarforum. Thank you very much and thank you for the information there, too.  

Maybe the editor Peter Karlsson can put the discussions together.

/Björn

2005-05-19, 04:22
Svar #10

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Björn,

I checked the 1899 Lakeside's Chicago Directory today. The library was really busy so I didn't stay to check any other years.

I didn't see your Emma, either under Edman or under Lindskog, but often women weren't listed. The directory was generally very poorly microfilmed and parts were impossible to read properly. We do have some book directories for Chicago, but they are falling apart. They are usually easier to read even though we have to deal with crumbling paper, but we don't have that year in book form.

The photographer was listed as:

Von Dieck Theodore 184, 92d  

I don't know if either of these could be your Carl.

Edman Charles J clk (clerk) PO (Post office???) h (home) 186 Johnston av

Edman Charles (something illegible) clk 78 Chicago av (where he works as a clerk, I think) h (home) 197 Townsend

I think this may be your Otto Edman.

Edman Otto fireman h (home) 8134 Muskegon av

There were some other Edman listings too. Do you know of any other family members who might have gone to Chicago?

There were Lindskog hits for:

Axel, Charles, Emil, Fred?, Frederick?, Gustaf H, Gustaf J, Henry C, Herman, Louis N, and Nels J.

I could barely read most of these names, but perhaps another directory would be clearer or perhaps we would have it in book form.

If you could provide information on the entire family and when they emigrated, it would be easier to check the directories. Where/when were they born? I could check CD Emigranten and Arkion, for example, with more information, and perhaps I could make a better guess in these directories.

Did Emma marry Mr. Lindskog before or after she left Sweden?

Judy

2005-05-25, 19:18
Svar #11

Björn Edman

Hi Judy,
Excuse my delay.  

I cannot find any of the Christian names above at the CD Emigration of a Mr Lindskog at the time in question.

About Otto Edman. He was born in Morlanda, Sweden 1871 4/5 and died in Martin, Ceder Town, MN, 1955 1/3. He was married to Josephine Anderson, born in March 1870 in Sweden (I don?t know where.) She died  1954 14/4. They married 1895 31/8 in Chicago. They had three children: Thaxter 1896-1918. Gunhild (1899 10 Nov - 1987 in July) and David Edman (1900 12 Oct - 1973 9/4 in Martin, MN. All three children were born in Chicago or in neigbourhood. I don?t anything about Otto?s profession.

I do not know much about Gunhild and David. Gunhild   was married to a John Olson, and they had two children: Kenneth and Marlyn. Gunhild Olson died in  Matoon, IL.

Is it possible to know more about the Gunhild Olson family?

2005-05-26, 09:15
Svar #12

Jan Ek (Janek)

Hi Björn,

According to SSDI Gunhild Olson's birthdate was October 18 1899, died July 1987 in Mattoon, Coles, IL. Where is your source for the birthdate?

The Olson family can be found in the 1930 census. They are living in Highland Park, Lake, IL. (ED 25, p. 21A)

John A. Olson 33, building carpenter, immigrated from Sweden 1912, and is naturalized. Wife Gunhild 30, born in IL, Marilyn 7 and Kenneth 4 y 6 m old. The couple married approx 1920.

One good source for more knowledge about the Olson family would be an obit for Gunhild. If you look at this RAOGK page John Hamilton offers help finding obits in Coles county.

2005-05-26, 09:31
Svar #13

Jan Ek (Janek)

The Edman family can be found in the 1900 census. Living at 9722 Avenue L in Hyde Park twp Chicago (ED 1060, p. 18B):

Otto Edman b. May 1871, laborer steel mills, imm. 1892. Wife Josephine b. March 1870, imm. 1886. The couple married approx 1895. Taxter A. (as spelled here) b. Sep 1896, Gunhild J. b. Oct 1899.

2005-05-26, 09:53
Svar #14

Jan Ek (Janek)

According to the census 1920 the Otto Edman family is living in Fox Lake, Martin MN. Otto is farming, Josephine has an inital for a second name; J, Gunhild, and David who helps farming. (ED 128, p. 5A)

1930 Otto is alone with Josephine at the farm in Fox Lake (indexed Eddman, ED 11, p. 5A) There is also another Edman family in Fox Lake 1930; Amandus Edman b approx 1874. Related?

2005-05-26, 19:34
Svar #15

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Björn,

Our genealogical library is closed for a few weeks. The building owners are putting a new roof on the building and everything we have is covered with plastic. I can't get near the materials to do any checking.

Remind me in a few weeks and I'll try to see if there is anything to add to the excellent information provided by Jan.

Judy

2005-05-27, 18:08
Svar #16

Björn Edman

Hi Jan,  

Thank you very much for your excellent information.
(Amandus Edman was a brother of Otto).

Björn

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna