ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hagg, Karl Arvid George  (läst 1190 gånger)

2005-01-21, 00:51
läst 1190 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
I am looking for information about Karl Arvid George Hagg, who entered the U.S. through Ellis Island on July 5, 1903.  He listed his age as 25, but I think he was 22 years old.  The ship's manifest says that he came from Ruina (or Riuna), Sweden, but I can't find any such place. If that word is Kiruna, would it be considered to be in Sweden, since it is so far north?  Also, would he be listed on an emigration CD from 1903?  If I have not given enough information, I will drive into Chicago to look up his naturalization papers, which should list the proper town of his birth.  Thanks in advance!

2005-01-21, 06:02
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Karen,

I wonder if the manifest says Rinna. There is a Rinna parish in Östergötland.

Look at the ns made elsewhere on this manifest. They compare with the ns in Rinna, if that is the location.

Hasn't this person been found on Arkion lately? Where was he living at that time? His name seems very familiar and I think I've looked for him for someone, perhaps you.

Here he is on the Emigrant CD but his name is spelled as Hägg, not Hagg.

First name: KARL A G
Last name: HÄGG
Parish: RINNA (where he was living when he decided to emigrate)    County: E (Östergötland)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1903 06 24 (date of registering with the police to leave Sweden)
Destination: NEW YORK
Fellows: NEJ (Nej = no. He traveled alone on his ticket.)
Source: 73:399:3415

Judy

2005-01-21, 06:08
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Karen,

By the way, read about naturalization in Cook County, where Chicago can be found.

http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/Archives_/Archive_Holdings/archive_holdings.htm

He must have been naturalized at a time that records for naturalization can be obtained through the NARA branch in Chicago, since he arrived in 1903 and federal naturalization records started in late September 1906. He couldn't have become a citizen until after that time period, so his naturalization records will be very helpful to you. (Earlier Cook County records weren't very good.)

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/il/chicago.html

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/il/chicago/naturalization_records.html

Judy

2005-01-21, 11:49
Svar #3

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks!  I have not previously attempted to find information about this person, but I will search to see if anyone else has done so. I find that the hand-written manifests that are available on the Ellis Island site often spell the town name or parish incorrectly, since the American official couldn't understand the immigrant. About the naturalization papers - yes, I have used the government archives to find those.  Chicago's records, on microfilm and fiche, are kept at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago.  I've been there many times, but it is a long drive in the winter, so I was hoping to find Karl Arvid Hagg's information without going there.  However, I will take a trip to that NARA facility - just to make sure that the information that I now have is correct.  Thanks again; you have been very helpful.

2005-01-21, 14:15
Svar #4

Utloggad Ulla Hall

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 111
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-07, 13:46
    • Visa profil
Hallo Karen,

Maybe you are looking for this family:

f) Anders Fredrik Hägg born in 1854 in Rök (Östergötland)
m) Ida Sofia Andersdotter born in 1856 in Västra Stenby (Östergötland)
Erik August Henning born in 1878
Carl Arvid Georg born in 1879
Oskar Vilhelm Julius born in 1882
Anton Valfrid born in 1883
Olgar Theodor born in 1884
Elma Olivia born in 1887
Esther Elisabeth born in 1890

All children are born in Rök and the family lives in Rök Gifvetorp.
Info as per census 1890 in Sweden.

Ulla

2005-01-21, 14:16
Svar #5

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Karl Arvid Georg Hägg was born 1879 Oct.26 in Rök, Östergötland, and emigrated in 1903 May 19 from Rinna parish, also Östergötland.

2005-01-21, 23:43
Svar #6

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks!  There are a few pieces missing, and I will find his naturalization papers to inquire into his birth.  When he passed through Ellis Island he said that he was going to his sister, Hilda Carlson (perhaps a married name) in Evanston, Illinois.  In 1910 the census found him living with his sister and her family, Hilda Swanson (a second marriage?).  The listing of family members that Ulla reported does not include any Hilda, so I must see where she fits into this puzzle.  I am sure, however, that the Karl Arvid George Hägg that you found must be the same person that I am studying.  Thanks!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna