ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: CD Emigrant look-up: Hulda Peterson  (läst 689 gånger)

2005-09-17, 17:27
läst 689 gånger

Utloggad Mark Zajac

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 92
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-08-09, 03:26
    • Visa profil
Hulda Peterson was born on September 14, 1880 and came to America in 1902.  I was wondering if a search could be done for her to find out where she came from in Sweden.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

2005-09-17, 18:04
Svar #1

Utloggad Ulla Wimnéus

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 233
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-04-20, 10:55
    • Visa profil
From the Cd Emigranten:
Hulda Pettersson, 22 years old from Östra Fernebo parish. Left Gothenburg Sept. 26 1902. Destination Boston.
This may or may not be your Hulda. Do you have anything else? Name of parents/siblings? Perhaps some one else may be able to find the family in the 1890 census.
/Ulla

2005-09-17, 20:54
Svar #2

Bo Johansson

Befolkning 1890 has 2 Hulda born in 1880, and living in Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county), but one of them has a father named Carl Anton Torsell. The other one looks more promising:

Pettersson, Per (former Rättare), b. 1830 in Malingsbo (Kopparberg county, Dalarna province), married man, father

Carlsd:r, Anna Greta (wife), b. 1838 in Malingsbo (Kopparberg county, Dalarna province), married woman, mother

Oskar Emanuel (son), b. 1871 in Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county, Gästrikland province), unmarried man, child (absent)

Gustaf Filip (son), b. 1876 in Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county, Gästrikland province), boy, child

Clara Mathilda (daughter), b. 1879 in Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county, Gästrikland province), girl, child

Hulda Regina (daughter), b. 1880 in Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county, Gästrikland province), girl, child

They live at Ängsnäs (earlier Skammora),Österfärnebo (Gävleborg county, Gästrikland province

But if she lived somewhere else, there is a total of 1549 Hulda born in 1880, 70 of them had a father with a surname Pet*, and 109 had a father with a given name Pet*.

Plus, Hulda from Österfärnebo is not the only 22-year-old Hulda Petersson/Pettersson in 1902. There is also Hulda Petersson from Segerstad (Värmland county), Hulda Petersson from Göteborg city, and Holda Petersson from Odensvi (Västernorrland county).

// Bo Johansson

2005-09-18, 05:10
Svar #3

Utloggad Mark Zajac

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you for responding.  I know that her parents were Peter Peterson and Johanna Carlson.  She came in May of 1902 and arrived at New York.  I have the manifest from Ellis Island, but it says that she left from Southampton.  Is there anyway to connect this to Sweden?  Thanks.

2005-09-18, 08:06
Svar #4

Bo Johansson

If she arrived in May 1902, there is only one Hulda Pe* age 21-23 in the Emigranten CD that may fit (the other 3 emigrated Sept-Nov 1902):

Name: HULDA PETERSSON, Age: 22, Parish: SEGERSTAD, County: S (Värmland), Port: GÖTEBORG, Date: 1902-05-21, Destination: MINNEAPOLIS M, Fellows: NEJ (alone), Source code: 70:130:10829

Maybe someone can check in EMIBAS for parents' names etc.?  

But there is always the possibility that she emigrated via Norway or another country, or before 1902, or...

// Bo Johansson

2005-09-18, 08:11
Svar #5

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Mark,

I guess this girl had a parents with the same names you mentioned, since Per is a name usually Americanized to Peter and Karlsdotter is the feminine form of Carlsson/Karlsson, but I don't know for sure if this is your girl. She is just a maybe.

From the 1890 Swedish Census cd:

Post 460751

Persson, Per Erik
Arrendator (farmer, leaseholder, tenant farmer, according to Cradled in Sweden)

f.(born) 1835 i (in) Dannemora (Uppsala län (county), Uppland)

Gift (married) man, far i familjen (father in the family)

Lagmansbo
Björklinge (Uppsala län (county), Uppland)

Födelseort i källan (birthplace in the source): Dannemora Ups. l.

Post 460752

Karlsdotter, Johanna

f.(born) 1845 i (in) Lena (Uppsala län, Uppland)

h.(wife)
Gift kvinna, mor i familjen (married woman, mother in the family)

Lagmansbo

Födelseort i källan (birthplace in the source): Lena Ups. l.

Post 460755

Johan Emil

f.(born) 1877 i (in) Björklinge (Uppsala län (county), Uppland)

s.(son)
Pojke, barn i familjen (boy, child in the family)

Lagmansbo

Födelseort i källan (birthplace in the source): Björklinge

Post 460754

Hulda Matilda

f.(born) 1880 i (in) Björklinge (Uppsala län, Uppland)

d.(daughter)
Flicka, barn i familjen (girl, child in the family)

Lagmansbo
Björklinge (Uppsala län, Uppland)

Post 460753

Emeli Karolina

f.(born) 1882 i (in) Björklinge (Uppsala län (county), Uppland)

d.(daughter)
Flicka, barn i familjen (girl, child in the family)

Lagmansbo

Same family in 1900:

Homeparish:  Björklinge Uppsala län  
Residence:  Lund  
County:  Uppsala  
SVARvolume:  038026    
Card nr:  3    
Page:  6    
Row:  12    

Fam. nr 1

widower Per Erik Persson, b. 1835 in Dannemora Uppsala län, Hemmansägare (farm owner)
s. Johan Emil, b. 1877 in Björklinge Uppsala län
d. Hulda Matilda, b. 1880 in Björklinge Uppsala län
foster daughter Agda Eugenia, b. 1894 in Björklinge Uppsala län  

I don't know if she is yours.

Do you have a specific arrival date in May 1902?

According to CD Emigranten, this girl left Sweden in May 1902 but she was living in a different part of Sweden. Yours may not have left through a Swedish port or maybe her last name isn't listed for some reason, such as traveling with a parent.

First name: HULDA
Last name: PETERSSON
Parish: SEGERSTAD     County: S (Värmland)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1902 05 21
Destination: MINNEAPOLIS M
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 70:130:10829

More information is probably needed, but the Swedes here can work miracles so maybe one will happen in this case.

Good luck!

Judy

2005-09-21, 23:53
Svar #6

Utloggad Mark Zajac

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
According to the 1930 census, Hulda Peterson came to the US in 1901.  I found on Ellis Island that a Hulda Peterson came to her parents in Minneapolis, MN from Sothampton on May 24, 1902.  I assumed it was the right one.  However, I have found her in the 1900 census as well, which says she was born in 1879 and came to the US with her parents [Peter(1848) & Johanna(1858)], brother [Charles(1878)] and sister [Jennie(1882)] in 1884.  I am confused of what to believe.  Is there any information on either emmigration?

2005-09-22, 05:16
Svar #7

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Mark,

I have several relatives whose year of emigrating from Sweden is not the same as the year of arrival in the U.S. My father's farbror (father's brother, uncle) had three separate immigration years listed in the censuses of 1900-1910-1920. None of those years matched his actual departure from Sweden in 1887. We don't know who provided the information. It might have been another family member, including a child, or even a neighbor.  

Even if your relative provided the answer, it might not be correct. My farfar (father's father, grandfather) always said that he emigrated in 1890 and so do his census records, but Swedish records show he emigrated in 1891.

Ages are also not necessarily correct in the censuses. Use the censuses as a guide but be open to the possibility that they may not be accurate.

I have had to wait a while for some relatives before I gathered enough clues to know with reasonable certainty that I had the right person and location in Sweden. There are lots of ways to gather clues and I've had a lot of success using the extensive records of the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center. (They have a website but the records aren't online.)

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna