ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Carrie Peterson, emigrated to U.S.1865  (läst 1156 gånger)

2008-03-24, 23:38
läst 1156 gånger

Michelle Smith

I'm hoping someone can help as I am having a difficult time with my Swedish roots.  The last person to speak Swedish in our family died a few years ago and I am now wishing I had paid more attention! I am so happy to have stumbled upon this website!  

Here is what little info I have on my GGG Grandmother

Carrie Peterson, born in Sweden July 1, 1854
Came to America with her parents in 1865, settling in Knoxville, Illinois.
Moved to Boone County, Iowa in 1867
Married Andrew Magnus Johnson April 4, 1873 (they had 10 children)

She MAY have had two sisters, named Elma and Esther.  (Sisters Elma and Esther are scribbled on the side of some very old family notes.)

The earliest I can pick her up on a U.S Census is in 1880, after she was already married, so I haven't found any clues as to who her parents were, what parish she comes from, etc.

I very much appreciate any help offered!

2008-03-25, 05:24
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Here is a possibility for you from the Emibas CD. Emibas was made from registrations in the Swedish parish to go to a foreign country and it is about 75% complete.

Post 1001581

Persson, Jonas
Nämndeman = layman judge who is a member of a district court (from Swedish Genealogical Dictionary). (married man)

b. 1/14/1832 in Hanebo, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland)

Emigrated 6/1/1865
from Västansjö, Hanebo, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 269

Emibas migration file ID: Hanebo X 1865 004

Post 1001582

Hansdotter, Brita
Hustru = wife. (married woman)

b. 8/11/1828 in Hanebo, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland)

Emigrated 6/1/1865
to Nordamerika

Emibas migration file ID: Hanebo X 1865 005

Post 1001583

Persdotter, Karin (Your Carrie?)
Dotter = daughter. (unmarried woman)

b. 7/1/1854 in Hanebo, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland)

Emigrated 6/1/1865
to Nordamerika

Emibas migration file ID: Hanebo X 1865 006

Post 1001584

Persdotter, Margta
Dotter (unmarried woman)

b. 1/19/1860 in Hanebo, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland)

Emigrated 6/1/1865
to Nordamerika

Emibas migration file ID: Hanebo X 1865 007

Try the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center. They have a website but their extensive collection of records is NOT online. I have learned much about my family using their services.

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

If she stayed in Iowa and was there in 1925, the 1925 Iowa STATE census lists parents of each enumerated person, including the mother's maiden name.

Judy

2008-03-25, 07:59
Svar #2

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
This is probably your family (without Carrie)in the 1870 US Federal Census, Iowa, Boone, Pilot Mound Township: (Enumerated on August 15, 1870)

Peterson, Jonas 38, Farmer, Value of real estate $1000, Personal Wealth $830.

Peterson, Betsy, 42, Keeps House

Peterson Alice M (Margta?)9, at school

There is probably more to be had, but this seems to be the right family.

2008-03-25, 08:32
Svar #3

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
If the Federal Census 1880 was from Nebraska, Hamilton County, Platte, you will probably find Carrie´s parents on the two lines below Carrie and her family. There you have a J Peterson, 48 and his wife Betty 52. They are both from N Sweden, which fits in with Hälsingland in Sweden.

If you have bits and pieces of information in Swedish you can get help with some translation on this website.

I see you have posted something to be translated under a different heading.

(Meddelandet ändrat av kaek den 25 mars, 2008)

2008-03-25, 08:59
Svar #4

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
If this is the right family, and it sounds likely, the original entry in the household census (book kept by the vicar listing all inhabitants in the parish and their attendace at christianity examinations), bonde means farmer:

2008-03-25, 14:40
Svar #5

Michelle Smith

Judy, Karin and Chris, thank you so much! I had almost given up hope on this brick wall! I don't think that I would have ever made the connection myself, with the names changing.  Thank goodness for this message board!  (I only wish I had found it a long time ago!)  

Judy, the Swenson Center is only a little over 7 hours from me, so I think I sense a little summer trip coming on!  Without any parish info, I didn't feel it would be worth the trip.  (Thanks to you, I finally have something to work with and it is well worth the trip!)

Karin, yes, that is our Carrie and Andrew in the 1880 census of Hamilton County, Nebraska.  I had a big question mark next to the J Peterson that you found in 1880, but couldn't make a connection myself. (This is the area I am originally from and the Peterson & Johnson surnames are more common there than the American Smith or Jones surnames are.) With the info provided here, I am almost certain that those are her parents on the 1880 census (and the 1870 census you found). Now I can dig in and research them further.  

Chris, can you tell me when the household census was taken and where I might access it? (I apologize if this is common knowledge - I am only familiar with U.S. genealogy records.)

Again, thank you all!  I never expected such valuable information!  I am ecstatic!

2008-03-25, 16:56
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Michelle,

Actually, I have found some parish names for some people who married into our family using Swedish American church records. (Lutheran Churches and Covenant Churches, for example, put the parish of birth in their records.) I have also found parish names listed in obituaries from Swedish American newspapers and in some of the cds and microfilms for emigration found there.  

Make sure you make an appointment for the Swenson Center. They don't want us to just walk in.  

There is information about how to research in Swedish parish records on the following url.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/hoagland/messages/745.html

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna