ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Looking for family in Sweden or the USA  (läst 583 gånger)

2006-02-27, 01:48
läst 583 gånger

Michael Newquist

I am looking for some help location information about my great grandfather and his family.  
My Great Grandfather's name in Sweden was Karl Johan Johansson Nyqvist. He was born in Umeå, Västerbotten county 06/23/1870. He emigrated to New York in North America 08/16/1892 from Umeå or Stockholm.  

His father was Johan Nyqvist born 07/31/1835 in Sunne, Värmland county. The mother was Maria Wilhelmina Wallin born in Piteå, Norrbotten county. They were married 1861.  

Children were:  
Carl Johan b 03/18/1862, died 07/12/1862 Albert Emanuel b 09/26/1863, died 06/26/1874 Enoch (Henrik)b10/22/1866 Emma Kristina b 09/18/1868 Karl Johan himself Anna Sofia b 01/22/1872 Maria Thurinna b 07/05/1873 Ester Wilhelmina b 10/12/1875, died 03/26/1877 Axel Emanuel b 04/29/1877 This information is from Sweden census 1880, 1890, 1900 and from a CD called Emibas.  

Emma Kristina married and moved to Sundsvall Anna Sofia married, she stayed with her family in Umeå Enoch moved to Skellefteå.  

My Great Great Grandfather's name is Johan Nyqvist born 1835 in Sunne, Varmland county Mother Maria Wilhelmina Wallin born 1835 in Pitea, Norrbotten county  

Children:  
1. Henrik b 1866 in Umea, sorry I know anything about him  
2. Emma Kristina b 1868 in Umea  
3. Karl Johan b 1870 in Umea  
4. Anna Sofia b 1872 in Umea  
5. Maria Turima b 1873 in Umea  
6. Axel Emanuel b 1877 in Umea  

According to the census for 1900 the father and the mother plus Axel Emaunel still lived in Umea at the address Vestra Norrmalm nr 20. The father is owner of a hotel and blacksmith.  

2. Emma Kristina was married to Lars Fredrik Hägg and they lived in Sundsvall, Vasternorrlands county and they had two children Karl Emil b 1896 and Gunnar b 1900. Lars Fredrik Hägg was bookkeeper/clerk....  

4. Anna Sofia is married to Carl Adolf J:or Astrom (dots on a and o), they lived at Qv Tjadern, Lulea, Norrbotten county. Their child was a daughter Anna Mari b 1899. Carl Adolf Astrom was goldsmith  

5. Maria Turima was married to Karl Gottfrid Wikstrom, he was a tradesman. They lived in Umea and had Ruth Maria b 1899 and Karl Oskar Fredrik b 1900.  

Any help you can give me in my search would be great. I know my Great Grandfather immigrated to the United States and once he got to the United States he changed his name to Charles Newquist. I look forward to hearing from you and if there is anything I can do to help you in the research, please let me know.

2006-03-02, 19:12
Svar #1

Kay Engman

Michael,

You don't say what information you are looking for regarding your great-grandfather, or where you have already searched.   Have you found him in the 1900  census living in New York?

Kay Engman

2006-03-02, 22:18
Svar #2

Michael Newquist

Yes I have.  I am trying to find out information if I still have family living in Sweden.  He had a lot of brothers and sisters that I do not know if they stayed in Sweden or went to another place.  I do not have access to records in Sweden and I know they keep very good church records of everything.  I am hopping someone has some sort of access to records or can help me in finding someone who does so I can try and find if I still have family in Sweden and try to get in contact with them.  Thanks for the help.

2006-03-04, 00:49
Svar #3

Kay Engman

Michael,

Ah, you are looking for the cousins in Sweden!  

Yes, you are correct that there are excellent church parish records in Sweden.  We are lucky to be descended from Swedes!  You do not have to go to Sweden to be able to search the Swedish parish records and find out what happened to Karl Johan's siblings and their children.  I don't know where you live, but if you're in the U.S., the Latter Day Saints church has microfilms of all of the old Swedish parish records.  You can order any microfilm (births, marriages, deaths, clerical survey, etc.) and view it at the LDS family history center near you.  At this website:
http://www.familysearch.org
you can find out where that would be located under the heading Find a Family History Center Near Your Home.

If you are already familiar with the Swedish parish records and know what you are looking for, you might want to pay to subscribe to this website to access the Swedish records that are already online:
http://www.genline.se
Click on English at the top right.
I believe that not all parishes are finished yet on that website.

You can follow each of Karl Johan's siblings in the husförhörslangd (church clerical survey) and see what children they had up until about 1910 or 1920.  When you have the name and exact birth date and birth place for a nephew or neice, (which it sounds like you might already have for Karl Emil, Gunnar, Anna Mari, Ruth Maria and Karl Oskar Fredrik) you can post a message on this forum asking if someone would be so kind as to check on the Dödbok CD for you to try to find the death dates for these people.  (but please only request a few at a time).  The Dödbok CD, or Death CD contains the information about people in Sweden who died between 1947 and 2003.  It is sort of like the U.S.'s Social Security Death Index.   Many helpful people who frequent this site have a copy of it.  Many of those neices and nephews who were born around 1890 - 1920 are likely to be listed on the Death CD.  Sometimes, even when I did not know a woman's married name someone has been able to find the person for me on the Death CD  by her first names and birth date and place.

This is what I did to locate my third cousins in Sweden:  once I had the death date of one of my grandfather's first cousins in Sweden, I requested a copy of their bouppteckning or estate settlement from the regional archives.  It is a public document which you can request to be sent to you by snailmail.  It lists on it all of the children who enherited when the individual died, and their addresses at the time.  I will email you directly with more about how to get it.

Another tactic to help narrow things down would be to find out if any of Karl Johan's siblings emigrated from Sweden.  If so, then you can omit them from your further search for cousins living in Sweden.  To do that, post a message on this forum asking if someone who has a copy of the Emigranten CD will check on it for the brothers and sisters of Karl Johan Johansson Nyqvist. It contains a listing of many (but not all) emigrants leaving Sweden between 1869 and 1950.  Keep in mind that if the sisters got married and then emigrated with their husband and children they could possibly be listed under either surname on the CD.  

Some info about the Emigranten CD at this page:
http://www.genealogi.se/roots
Click on Useful CDs in the column on the left side.

Good luck!
Kay

2006-03-04, 09:32
Svar #4

Michael Newquist

I thank you for all of this very useful information.  Now it is a matter of me figureing things out and finding the information.  I really need to get a swedish to english translation program so i can understand alot of these web site.  I dont really think any of the other brothers or sisters immagrated so I am sure i do have family still in sweden.  I will try your sugestion and hopefully I will be able to hit pay dirt and get alot of information.  thanks again.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna