ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: John [Johan?] LUNDBERG: to United States 1880  (läst 1508 gånger)

2006-01-23, 04:17
läst 1508 gånger

Linda Alexander

JOHN (or Johan?) LUNDBERG, my great-grandfather:

born 1860ish in Sweden, probably around Ystad or Norrkoping. Emigrated to US in 1880, possibly Iowa or Illinois. Located in the 1885 census for Lead, Colorado as a miner, and owned his own gold mine in Terry South Dakota (near infamous Deadwood) by the late 1890s.

I know little about JOHN LUNDBERG. He seemed to keep his life very secret. Here are a few tidbits:

-- a photo of a family in a backyard, written on back: Bror Aessin (couldn't read well), Nyley Rozsloza (again, may have read wrong), Sommaren 1926

-- photo of John Lundberg, age: late teens, taken by S.M. Marcus, Ystad

-- another photo of John Lundberg, age unknown but young, studio: Tallroth & Co., Norrkoping

-- had cousins, a set of twins named Erick and Bierick, presumably Lundbergs. A photo of them also taken at Tallroth

Family history says he left Sweden to dodge the draft. Would he have been in danger of being drafted at 20 years old? Photos show a well-to-do young man. I believe his family may have had money, but he never talked about them. When he died, his son gave information for his death certificate. John Lundberg's parents were listed as unknown, which seems odd that he wouldn't have told his son about his parents.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Linda Alexander
http://www.lindajalexander.net

2006-01-23, 18:55
Svar #1

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Linda,
Suggest you send me scanned photographs, I will try to put them into this message board for interpreting of the names.  

Bo Nordenfors
bo.nordenfors@gmail.com

2006-01-24, 01:13
Svar #2

Linda Alexander

Bo:

Thank you for your reply. I'd love to be able to send the scanned photos; however, they're in my father's possession, in another state. I've not yet been able to get him to either scan or give them to me. I transcribed all info from the photos a number of years ago -- no scanner was available.

I appreciate the offer, though.

Blessings -- Linda Alexander

2006-01-24, 18:55
Svar #3

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Linda:

Photographer Marcus in Ystad:  the studio was started already 1865 and was going on after 1900.
Tallroth was a photographer in Norrköping, no doubt. Ancient photographs from both studios are published in a certain site within www.genealogi.se, if you hit Sveriges Släktforskarförbund you will find a new site, where you can hit Porträttfynd and then you hit hitta i databasen  -then Sök i porträttfynd - below the counties - enter either Marcus
or Tallroth and you will find some portraits taken by those studios.
Another mode to go is to county:  Skåne f.ex. nd then scroll down to Ystad  -- for Norrköping you hit Östergötland and then scroll down to Norrköping.
I do hope other researchers this message board can do a lookup in EMIBAS for Johan Lundberg
- born about 1860 and emigrating about 1880 - there is a problem however, he can have used a patronymicon - surname ending -son. I guess he was born near Ystad, however.  

You wrote:  Rozsloza  - maybe Rogslösa, which is close to Vadstena, a town  in Östergötland county
The first name of the brother is not a Swedish one, it's hard to guess which can be the correct one - as I said before, a copy of the picture had been the best way to find out.

2006-01-24, 22:33
Svar #4

Utloggad Nils-Åke Bjäresten

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 32
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-09-04, 21:56
    • Visa profil
Linda,

In the neighbourhood of Ystad there is the parish Sövestad. In Sövestad there are two manors, Krageholm and Bellinga. 4 Sept 1859 a boy, Johannes, was born in Sövestad. His father was Per Lundberg. Per was employed as a coachman at Krageholm, earlier he had been a dragoon. Johannes mother was Charlotta Lundgren. 1877 Johannes was employed as a manservant at Bellinga. He stayed there until May 1881 when he emigrated to USA. At the same time his brother August Vilhelm Lundberg left for USA. August Vilhelm was born 28 April 1855 in Sövestad. 1881 he was a coachman at Krageholm. Do you think that this Johannes Lundberg can be your great-grandfather?

Nils-Åke Bjäresten

2006-01-25, 01:24
Svar #5

Linda Alexander

Nils:

Thank you! I went back through some older records & located more notations on John Lundberg's birthdate -- Sept 1859 in one place & 9/4/1860 in another. Indeed, it looks like you've located his beginnings! My grandmother, his daughter, knew nothing about him, & my dad knows even less. He'll be very surprised! I appreciate your help.

And, Bo, again, thank you, too. A very helpful, thoughtful group.  

Blessings -- Linda Alexander
http://www.lindajalexander.net

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna