ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2000-juli-22  (läst 2517 gånger)

2000-07-08, 19:49
läst 2517 gånger

Donna Corlett

Anyone needing HELP in Canada? I am willing to try to search/help. Please provide all details you can...and I'll see what I can do for you!!  

I am currently working on a few and therefore visit the reference libraries here quite often...  

Donna

2000-07-09, 00:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Sigvard Boström

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 101
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-06-17, 22:21
    • Visa profil
Donna,
A relation of mine Lars Olsson was born 1861-08-13 in Väse parish, Vämland Sweden. He changes his name to Lars Olsson-Hällqvist and emigrates to America 1882-07-18. The only thing I then know about him is a letter which he sent from Marchwell Sask, Canada mars 24 1947 to his cousin Bengt Andersson in Väse, which was my maternal grandfather.  

Apparently he has now changed his name again and call himself Lars Smith. He writes that he is 86 year old and his wife is much younger, she will be 70 year old next September, so she ought to have been born about 1898. He don't tell her name. They had ten children and four of them was still alive and were all married. They all seem to live not too far from Marchwell.

This is not much information to look for but I should really be very much obliged to you if you could find something about this Lars Smith and his family.  
Sigvard Boström

2000-07-09, 01:14
Svar #2

Mats Johansson

Hi Donna!

I have found a person that emigrated to Canada in 1928. This man, Jon Gunnar Svanström, born May 10th, 1899 in Vallen, Junsele parish. He emigrated from Junsele parish on April 2nd, 1928. Is this to little information? Do you need any more?

Thank you!

Mats Johansson

2000-07-09, 11:53
Svar #3

Roland Johansson

Hello Mats

According to the Emigrant-CD J Gunnar Svanström from Junsele emigrated 17 March 1928 to McLean, Saskatchewan. Exit port was Göteborg. It seems like the Junsele records weren't updated until after the event.

2000-07-10, 01:24
Svar #4

Donna Corlett

Hi Sigvard!  I will look into what I may be able to find about Lars Smith (and family!?)...and will get back to you.  I haven't had much experience in researching in the province of Saskatchewan...but am certainly willing to see what is accessible/available!!!

Best regards,
Donna

2000-07-10, 03:55
Svar #5

Donna Corlett

Hi Mats!  I have found the listing for the immigration/passenger record for Jon Gunnar Svanström!

I will be going to the reference library later this week and will check/copy it for you then.
From the file I can tell you that:
Jan Gunnar Svanstrom was noted as 29 years of age (he must have actually/really been 28 as his birthday wasn't until May 10) when he landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia on March 26,1928.  

Of interest: There are 8 listings for the surname Svanstrom and out of those...three of them are listed twice even though they are clearly the same person-!?!
The only difference between the listings is that the others are identical...and Jan's two entries also list everything identically-except the ship name.  There are two ship names noted and they are the Frederick VIII and the Stockholm.  I will look into both at the library-likely it is a simple error in recording.

The other Svanstrom's that I saw which emigrated between 1925-and 1935 were:
Per Johan-1926 at 18 years of age
Ernst-1928 at 26 years of age
Hans G.F.-1928 at 24 years of age
Karl O.-1929 at 22 years of age
Do any of these also relate to your Jan Gunnar?  I thought I would note them all just in case.

The actual record for Jan Gunnar will also state if indeed McLean, Saskatchewan (From Emigranten CD-as per Roland)was his intended destination.

Well I'll get the record and then we will go from there-OK?!!  

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-10, 17:27
Svar #6

Håkan Andersson

Hello Donna

A brother to my grandmother, Albin Eriksson, born 1 october 1905 i Söderåkra parish, emigrated to Canada 1928. He was married in 1935 to Mildred Fexio from Lethbrigae. They have eight children. The name on the children is 1) Audry, 2) Arlen, 3) Herbert, 4) Shirley, 5) Margaret, 6) Linda, 7) Nora and 8) Donna. According to my relatives in Sweden is Albin dead since at least twenty years back and I think Mildred i dead too. Can you find anything about them.

Regards

Håkan

2000-07-10, 20:21
Svar #7

Anna-Karin Mattsson

Donna!
Thank you very much for the interesting information on Victor and Per.
Anna-Karin

2000-07-10, 20:40
Svar #8

Donna Corlett

Anna-Karin:  You are very welcome...those forms are really something to actually see first hand when it is your own ancestors- aren't they?!!

Should I find any more information I will get back to you!!

Best regards,
Donna

2000-07-10, 20:49
Svar #9

Donna Corlett

Hi Håkan:  I have checked for Albin Eriksson and could not find him in the immigration records (1925-1935).  Are you sure he came in 1928?
Also could you please tell me...is Albin Eriksson his full name?
I did find one Albin Sig. Eriksson (Sig. for Sigurd, I guess!?) that emigrated in 1928-but his age was listed as 21 (perhaps a clerical error?)...
Also I tried various spellings...Ericson, Ericsson, Erikson, Ericksson...but no match.  I will try again...but would really appreciate it if you could answer the few questions noted above.

I assume that you mean Lethbridge, Alberta for Lethbrigae, correct?  Where did you learn this...through family/church records/Emigranten CD???

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-11, 01:14
Svar #10

Mats Johansson

Hi Donna and Roland

Thank you very much for the information. I hope it's possible to find some relatives in Canada after this man.

Donna: No ones of the persons you have found are brothers to Jon Gunnar but they can still be relatives (cousins or second-cousins, I don’t know yet?)!

Best regards,

Mats

2000-07-11, 03:10
Svar #11

Donna Corlett

Hi Mats!  Well I managed to get a copy of his emigration record!  On the list he is recorded as Jan Gunnar Svanström-born in Junsele, Sweden.  His age is 29 and he is listed as married.  His trade/occupation is farm laborer...and he is destined to his uncle-Lars Svanström (address noted) as R.R. Artland, Saskatchewan.  I am going to check that in the government geographic site-perhaps it is near (part of!?)-McLean,SASK.

The nearest relative in the country from whence he came...his father-August Svanström of Junselavallen. (?)
His passport (#150) was issued on March 10, 1928-Härnösand.

I got your private mail...thanks for that.  I am not sure about tracing relatives.  As I said Saskatchewan is not an area I am familiar with...although I am certainly willing to learn/try!!  I did try searching the Canada wide telephone book (Canada 411) and found not one Svanström...?!  I have left a message for the government site...asking about accessibility of records etc.-and am awaiting a reply.  Searching myself did not produce much promise...but I'll keep looking too.  There are seals/limits for records here just like in Sweden...the time frames vary a little between the provinces but...it can make it difficult.  I could probably access the census records for all provinces here in Toronto where I live...but am also looking into what is here/available...I will get back to you...OK?!!

I'll let you know about my relatives a little later...I've gotta run for now.

All the best,
Donna

2000-07-11, 11:19
Svar #12

Håkan Andersson

Hello Donna

Albins complete name was Erik Albin Herbert Eriksson and he emigrated to Canada 28/2 1928 according to parish records in Sweden.  

Maybe I spell Lethbridge wrong when I wrote 10 juli 2000.

The information about Albin and his family came from sisters and brothers to Albin in Sweden but all of them are dead today.

An other brother to Albin, Oskar Gotthard Eriksson, born 6/12 1902, emigrated to Canada 1925 but he went back to Sweden ten years later.

A third brother, Ernst Algot Eriksson, born 6/3 1889, emigrated to Canada 1/3 1909. He married in 1916 with Elisabet Olshank from Monarck, Alberta. They have 4 children: 1) Clarence, 2) Ernst, 3) Ellen and 4) Eduard.

Regards

Håkan

2000-07-11, 20:19
Svar #13

Donna Corlett

Hi Håkan!  Thanks for the full name.  I went back and found his listing in the immigration records.
Here is a recap:
Erik A.H. Eriksson was 22 years of age-and he sailed aboard the SS Stockholm-and landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) on March 26, 1928.

Also found the entry for his brother Oskar:
Oskar Gotthard Eriksson was 22 years of age-and he sailed aboard the Drottningham-and landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) on March 28, 1925.

No such listing would exist for Ernst Algot since he emigrated in 1909.  The only way to trace his entry would be manually reviewing ship lists for that year/all ports.....a big job!!
When I return to the reference library I will view/copy the above records for Oskar and Albin to see if any other information is listed there...

I tried checking the on line phone book for Canada for the children names (males) for Ernst...and did find one Clarence Erikson in Medicine Hat, Alberta...which is just 111 miles (178km) from Monarch, Alberta...I wonder if this could be your Clarence?  Perhaps I could try calling to see if it is an connection?  
Do you know or have any idea of the birth years for these children (Ernst's or Albin's-especially the males), Håkan?  They would obviously be easier to trace/locate-as females could marry and take another surname...as I'm sure you realize.

Well, I am still looking around-hoping to find more...will get back to you...please do the same!!

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-11, 21:55
Svar #14

Håkan Andersson

Hello Donna

I have not any birth years for the children to Ernst Algot Eriksson and Erik Albin Herbert Eriksson. I have heard that Oskar Gotthard Eriksson met his brother Ernst Algot Eriksson when i arrive to Monarch. I return if I find more about my relatives in Canada.

Regards

Håkan

2000-07-11, 23:19
Svar #15

Donna Corlett

Hi again Håkan!  Thanks for your reply.  Well it certainly was worth asking about (the birthdates I mean)...just in case!!
I will get back to you as soon as I can...I think that I may just try to call...after all he is the only Clarence Erikson listed in all of Alberta.

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-12, 04:43
Svar #16

Donna Corlett

Håkan: Hi again.  I actually should have stated the Ernst passenger list search a little differently...since you did note the date that he departed from Sweden (1/3 1909)...it does narrow the number of potential microfilm reels...but without knowing the port of landing-it still means checking about 5 reels...every ship, every line.

I think I'll look into Monarch and city directories first...where he (and family) is concerned.  I'll be back to you later!

Donna

2000-07-12, 16:58
Svar #17

Roland Johansson

Donna & Håkan

Ernst A Eriksson, 20, Söderåkra, left Göteborg 9 April 1909 to Bow Island, Alberta.
I hope this means a little less reel rolling for Donna.

2000-07-12, 17:35
Svar #18

Donna Corlett

Roland: Thanks!  Does this mean that Håkan's date of departure (1/3/1909) was probably obtained from the parish and is not actually when he left Sweden? (Is this correct, Håkan?!)  
I know from my family members that departed- the time between could vary rather widely.
I assume that you obtained this from the Emigranten CD, yes?!  
Well in any case, Roland...my reel scrolling fingers and my scanning eyes- thank you kindly!!

Regards,  
Donna

2000-07-12, 18:38
Svar #19

Håkan Andersson

Hello Donna

Ernst Algot Eriksson obtained the date 1/3 1909 from Söderåkra parish but I did not know when he left Sweden.

Regards

Håkan

2000-07-14, 03:48
Svar #20

Donna Corlett

Hi Håkan! Thanks for your reply...I will be back to you soon.

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-15, 06:29
Svar #21

Donna Corlett

Hi Håkan!  I tried calling the Clarence that I mentioned...but could not reach him...will try again over the next few days.  I did speak with his wife briefly...she told me that his father had passed away many years ago but could not recall his given name(s).  I will follow it up just in case...she did tell me that her husband was Swedish.

I have found and copied the immigration records for Erik Albin and Oskar Gotthard.  Although you knew when they came...I thought perhaps the forms may provide an exact address (destination)...
I'll start with Oskar's first:
Oscar Gotthard Eriksson was noted as destined to his brother Ernst Eriksson, Box 19, Monarch, Alberta.  It appears that he did not travel alone...also listed travelling to Ernst's address (and born in Söderåkra) were two cousins- Olof Konrad Andersson (24 years of age) and Arne George Kåkansson (23 years of age).

Then to Erik Albin:
Erik Albin Herbert Eriksson was noted as destined to his brother, Gotthard Eriksson, Box 124, Lethbridge, Alberta.
What seemed quite interesting to me was that there was another Eriksson that travelled on this trip...who was also listed as from the same parish-and with the same father-(Erik Karlsson of Rotavik, Norra Tång).  This gentleman's name was Martin Seselius Eriksson (33 years of age).  Martin had apparently been in Canada before...from 1912 until April of 1924 in...Lethbrige, Alberta! (no address or Box # noted).  He destination on this trip was listed as a friend by the name of A. Ades of Consul, Saskatchewan.

So Håkan, did you know of this Martin?  Or that two cousins had travelled to Canada with Oskar Gotthard in 1925?  Well I had hoped for more solid addresses (not just PO Box #'s but...)-I will likely go next to the city directories...to try and trace the family a bit further.  Hopefully this will provide more information...and possibly help in locating the many children/their families.

I will be back soon.
Regards,
Donna

2000-07-15, 06:41
Svar #22

Donna Corlett

Hi Mats!  I have still not heard back about accessing/researching records from (for) Saskatchewan...I will attempt another query!

About census records...it is only possible to search census records for the census of 1901-and back.  So that doesn't help us in this case at all...well at least I learned that for the future! (I had never attempted/looked in to that before) so I didn't know....sorry!  There is a demand for the government here to open the records from the census of 1911 (they are presently still sealed)...but it isn't available now or should I say yet!-and regardless-they wouldn't help us with the years involved here either...you may say ahhh!! here-I did!!

Best regards,
Donna

2000-07-15, 09:59
Svar #23

Leif Mörkfors

Hi Donna ! An uncle to my grandmother disapeared in the early 190o:s. I now that he was a sailer in some time and that he 1909 lived in Baltimore US. I´ve had help looking for him in US but no result. The help I had said that he maybe had gone to Canada and why not !?
His namn was Hugo Stanislav Lundgren and he was born in Karlskrona in 1870.
Best regards  
Leif M

2000-07-15, 11:24
Svar #24

Håkan Andersson

Hello Donna

Ypu have right about Gotthard. He did not travel alone. According to my old relatives he travel with two cousin, Olof Andersson from Norra Tång in Söderåkra parish and Arne Håkansson from Törneryd in Söderåkra parish. I don´t know what happend to Arne and Olof in Canada.

There was a fourth brother, Martin Serelius Eriksson, born 26 mars 1894 in Söderåkra parish who emigrated to Canada. According to my paper he died in Brocket in Canada in 11 August 1957 without wife and children. I forget Martin.

Regards

Håkan.

2000-07-15, 20:22
Svar #25

Donna Corlett

Hi Leif!  I will take a look for Hugo..if he indeed entered Canada from the USA sometime after 1909 then a border entry record should exist.  I'll get back to you in the near future.

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-20, 14:32
Svar #26

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 111
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-20, 21:20
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! My great grandfather, Frans  
Johansson Björk, emigrated to Vancouver in  
B.C., Canada. According to the church records  
here in Sweden he left to Canada the 1st of  
April in 1910. My mission is to try to find out  
what happened to him after that.

He was born in Västergården, Väsemestorp,  
Sörby parish, in Skaraborgs “län” on the 18th  
of March in 1865. He got married to Jacobina  
Olsson on the 15th of August in 1897 and in  
Västernorrland “län”, Eds parish. They got  
eight kids together and lived in Ed. To my  
understanding Frans left Sweden alone, at  
least non-one of the kids or his wife went with  
him. I understand that he was a  
stone-worker.

Thanks to good help here on “Anbytarforum” I  
have managed to find a possible death  
certificate for him. A search on  
http://www2.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www
2vsd gave me the following information, which  
could be my great grandfather:

Name:          FRANK BJORK
Event Date:    1932 10 2   (Yr/Mo/Day)
Event Place:   VANCOUVER

Reg. Number:   1932-09-472183
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13145      
GSU Microfilm Number: 1952656

I need additional information to confirm that it  
is in fact is my great grandfather. Any help or  
suggestions here would be very much  
appreciated.

Best wishes

Ulric

2000-07-20, 21:07
Svar #27

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  Since you knew he went to Vancouver (British Columbia)...I would have first checked for him to be listed there too.  I have checked the entry and it agree that he could be your ancestor.  I have asked a friend to obtain a copy...we will see then!
I will get back to you when I know...anything else I can do for you?

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-21, 23:03
Svar #28

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 111
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-20, 21:20
    • Visa profil
Thank you very much Donna! Did the record agree  
that he could be my ancestor in any more ways than  
the one's I listed? That would indeed be  
interesting for me to know. How kind of you to  
obtain a copy through a friend! I can't wait to  
find out if it will be possible to connect the  
death certificate to my great grandfather.

I don't believe that it is possible to find his  
grave (I guess that they are not usually kept that  
long as written here above somewhere), but if he  
is burried somewhere that surely would be  
interesting to know, or were he was burried before  
he was dug up. I visited Vancouver for the first  
time last summer and that actually got me started  
on doing genealogy - I got curious on how my great  
grandfather ended up in Vancouver and were he came  
from and so on. Looking forward to hear from you  
again!

Best wishes

Ulric

2000-07-22, 04:16
Svar #29

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  I would agree that it is most likely to be your great grandfather...not from additional information-simply from the listing itself.  
We will certainly learn for sure when I get it...the form itself will (should!) list how long he was in Vancouver, the province (BC) and the country (Canada).  Other standard information that should also be there is the cause of death, where he was buried (or cremated)...and who the informant of his death to the authorities was-and that persons address (usually a relative).
I have located the actual graves for a few people's family members-with the kind help of others in Canada (various places)...so we will see.  By the way, some graves are eternal (never reused) and others may have a specified term (number of years)...it can vary.

So you visited Vancouver last summer!  How much were you aware of-with regard to your ggf in Canada when you were here?  Did you try to research him then...or since then?  Was he the only family member to ever come to Canada?  What about his wife and eight children (wow!) in Sweden?  Did he leave and never return?
*Please tell me what you can/know-OK?!

Well I will get back to you as soon as I have anything for you...I have started to check ship lists for him as well.  They are always interesting...a little piece of personal history...and they include where the person was destined to...(originally at least)...

Regards,
Donna

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna