ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emigrant Swedes who returned to Sweden and disappeared  (läst 421 gånger)

2003-03-21, 07:06
läst 421 gånger

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi,

My farfars sister Laura and her husband Alfred returned to Sweden (location unknown) after living and working about 20 years in the U.S. Before returning to Sweden permanently, they made several trips back to Sweden, as shown on the Emigrant CD. I need help finding where they lived after permanently returning to Sweden, where a family story says they died in the middle 1930s.

They lived in Chicago as Alfred A. Crown and Laura Crown. It took me a long time to find Alfred Crown's original name and where he was born in Sweden, but I finally found him living with known relatives of our family in Stockholm stad (which matches a family story) when I used the Gamla Stan cd for Stockholm stad. All details (date of birth, year of immigration, given names, etc.) matched what I had learned about him from U.S. sources.

Alfred A. Crown was originally Aron Alfred Karlsson.

--Aron Alfred Karlsson was born 24 January 1863 in Tveta, Kalmar län. He originally emigrated to the U.S. in 1887 at age 24 from län A. He left from the port of Göteborg 15 April 1887 with a destination of Coal City.(That is probably the Coal City in Illinois.) I know very little about Alfred's life in Sweden.

--His wife, Laura Olsdotter (sister of my farfar), was born 18 October 1862 in Grunsbo, Frändefors, Älvsborg, and she first emigrated at age 26 from Frändefors to the U.S. 12 April 1889. She left from Göteborg and her destination was New York. (I have lots of information about Laura's family and ancestors.)

I have found them several times on the Emigrant CD on return trips to Sweden. The Gamla Stan cd shows Alfred going to Södertalje in 1899 after being in Stockholm stad for a while. He was alone on the Gamla Stan cd but he and his wife returned with another person from Södertälje according to the Emigrant CD and manifests on the Ellis Island site. I found a last residence of Södertalje on other manifests in later years, so I suspect they might have had some family in Södertälje.  

Alfred and Laura Crown married in Chicago in 1893 and had no children. They owned a restaurant in Chicago and sold it around 1907 to return to Sweden. The problem is: Where? They didn't return to Frändefors, as far as I can tell. I wonder if they did go to Södertälje or maybe they went back to Tveta where he was born.

I thought perhaps learning more about Alfred's relatives might give a clue. He had a sister named Mary Crown (born November 1857)who was listed as cook in his restaurant according to the U.S. Federal Census for 1900, and another sister (?lma--maybe Hilma or Alma; Mrs. ?lma Nelson in Chicago) was listed on one of the manifests as a relative in Chicago.

Thank you for reading this information. If anyone can add to my knowledge of Alfred and where he and his wife lived after returning to Sweden, I would appreciate your help very much.

Thank you,

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna