ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Viktor Svensson, b 1851?, from Kalmar to Australia  (läst 764 gånger)

2001-09-27, 10:42
läst 764 gånger

Rob Swenson

My great grand father departed Hamburg aboard the Herschel in 1874 and
arrived Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Queensland State Archives name him
as Victor Svensen. He married in the Lutheran Church, Ipswich, Queensland in 1875 under the name Wiktor Swenson, Laborer, 24 years, birthplace Kalmar, Sweden. Father Sven Nalson, Mother Christine Nogarson. Thats all I have, except that he arrived with exceptional woodworking skillsas in axe, adze, wood trimming etc.
I know his history in Australia and am now  keen to trace the Swedish end of things.

2001-09-27, 12:43
Svar #1

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hi Rob,

In the database of PLF, I found a Victor born 1850, March 16, in Öfraby, Söderåkra parish, Kalmar county, about 30 miles S Kalmar city.
His father was Sven Nilsson Ekman and the mother Christina Jonsdotter.

The most of this is possible to be what You are searching for. Do You have some more information to confirm the information a bit more?

Regards/Sam Blixt/PLF/Oskarshamn

2001-09-27, 13:55
Svar #2

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hi again Rob,  
The distance between Kalmar city and Öfraby, Söderåkra is shorter than 20 miles, as the crow flies. The distance to go by car today is around 24 miles.

Regards/Sam

2001-09-29, 12:11
Svar #3

Utloggad Tomas Alriksson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 796
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-10-04, 12:54
    • Visa profil
Hi Rob, Victor Svensson from Övraby, Söderåkra, Kalmar county was a sailor.
The churchrecords tells that he was onboard sailingvessels in international travels in 1869.
Missing allready in 1871, listed as unknown whereabout in 1876.
I?ve found two of his brothers that also were sailors  
- Johan August, born June 17 1845 in Övraby, he moved to Copenhagen in 1875.
- Oscar, born Sept 14 1856 in Övraby, reported dead Apr 17 1878, small letters in the margin dead by fever in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).
- Sister Carolina born Sept 3 1853, worked in Germany, moved to Copenhagen 1875, came back to Övraby, Söderåkra in 1880.

Victor father and mother.
Sven Nilsson Ekman born July 25 1817, dead June 6 1888 in Övraby, Söderåkra. He was a crofter in Övraby. Christina Jonsdotter, born Febr 28 1821.

Regards/ Tomas

2001-09-30, 02:38
Svar #4

Rob Swenson

Sam and Tomas,

Sincere thanks for the information. It looks very promising.

When I,m sure that I'm posting correctly, I will post a brief summary of Victor's Australian life for the interest of readers of this message board.

Regards,
         Rob Swenson

2001-09-30, 03:32
Svar #5

Rob Swenson

Sam and Tomas and other readers,

As promised here is a brief over view of Victor Svensson's life in Australia.

Arrived Brisbane 16-7-1874. Boat--Herschel from Hamburg. 24 years of age. Married in German Lutheran Church, Ipswich (20 miles west of Brisbane) 30th, October, 1875. Bride Emilie Louise Doring, age 16 years, born Gierswalde, Prussia. Daughter of Christian Doring and Caroline Kruger. I believe Doring was killed while an officer in the Prussian army. His widow emigrated to Australia with her young daughter.

Many immigrants to Australia at that time were lured by the promise of free land under the Free Selectors Act.
In 1876 Victor selected 11 acres at Chuwar, near Ipswich. That land was eventually forfeited to the Crown.
In 1878 Victor selected 114 acres at Mount Crosby, in the hills north of Ipswich. He improved this property and eventually gained full freehold ownership.
In 1881 Victor selected a further 85 acres adjoining the 1878 selection.
 Victor and Emilie settled on these properties and enjoyed life as dairy farmers and timber getters. They bought neighboring farms and when I was born there in 1943,the property covered 600 acres.  
They had 6 chidren, 3 boys and 3 girls and 30  grand children.

Victor died in 1928 and is buried in Ipswich General Cemetary.  

I hope this is of some interest.

Rob Swenson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna