ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Augustus Adolphus Eklund (Ecklin), Nora, Orebro, Sweden  (läst 991 gånger)

2002-02-21, 11:18
läst 991 gånger

Gary Ecklin

Looking for information on this Eklund family. Name was changed to Ecklin (not sure of reason for this) when immigrated to USA.  Augustus father's name was John (possibly Jon) Eklund and he moved his family about 1869 to Iowa.  We are not certain of the mother/wife's name: Annie Mary Elizabeth have been found.  He was also known as Gus and Gustav.  Had a brother named Charlie and a cousin named Abel Eklund, who stayed in Sweden.  Abel sent a letter to Gus in 1907 from Hoforsbruk and mentions going back home to Rockhammar, his wife Hilma Lindroth, children: Elsa, Hanna, Ada, Edit, and two of his brothers in Rockhammar (Gustaf and Johan), another in Karmansbo (Hjalmarisin) and two that went to America in 1877 (Albert and Carl). He also mentions that Augustus's family left Finoker for America.  Abel's father died in 1899 at age of 78 (? born 1821) and mother died April 7, 1907 at age of 81 (? born 1826).  Augustus was born June 2, 1864 in Nora, Sweden, married Clara Jane McAfee on May 16, 1888 in Viola Township, Iowa and he died November 1942 in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, Canada.  The only other information we have is that John Eklund/Ecklin died February 13, 1905 in Iowa and his wife died Feb. 12, 1904 in Iowa.  One ofter piece of information is a letter that states dad was born in Kalskoga (? Karlskoga), Beslaga, Sweden and the Luthern Church there has a birth certificate.  We are not sure who dad is?

Hopefully the spelling are close to being correct - we had an old letter translated, so some of the spelling may be slightly off.

Thank you in advance,

Gary Ecklin

2002-03-11, 21:54
Svar #1

Utloggad Marie Esplund-Lynn

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 106
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-06-12, 21:37
    • Visa profil
Hello Gary!
I must tell you that Augustus Adolphus Eklund (Ecklin) wasn?t born June 2, 1864 in Nora parish in Orebro county. Nora familyreaserch club are registrering all birth and deaths but I have not found any person with that name at all.  
But you wrote about Hofors bruk, Karmarsbo and Finnåker and I think you shold try to find him in Nora parish in Vestmanlands county.  
Good luck!

2002-03-12, 05:56
Svar #2

Gary Ecklin

Hi Marie,

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.  I was so excited to get a reply.  I just came back from my dad's and we looked over some of the information we had.  He said that he was given the birth place for Augustus Adolphus as Nora, but the  statement dad was born in Kalskoga (? Karlskoga), Beslaga, Sweden and the Luthern Church there has a birth certificate was another source of information from his uncle.  So of course this would be Augustus.  Are you able to look into this area or do I need to post this message in a different listing or maybe as a new question. We are pretty sure of the birthdate being June 2, 1864 and he died in Esterhazy, Sask, Canada in November of 1942.

If this information is correct, then of course we would be looking to find out more details of his father John Eklund/Ecklin, etc...

If this information is not correct or if you are unable to help, can you direct me to someone who can or what and where I should post next.

Thanks again, Gary

2002-03-12, 10:35
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hi Gary,

The following possible family has been found in the  
Index of Emigrants from Örebro County:

Johan Eklund, born 1823 June 19 in Lindesberg
w. Maria Elisabeth Boström, born 1828 Jan.6 in Fellingsbro
s.Carl Johan, born 1860 Mar.23 in Fellingsbro
s. Gustav, born 1863 June 9 in Fellingsbro

This family left Fellingsbro in 1868 May 20 with tickets for the US.

As you mention that they might have emigrated from Finnåker, I might mention that that is a place in Fellingsbro.

2002-03-13, 04:28
Svar #4

Gary Ecklin

Elisabeth,
Wow, thank you very much.  This looks like the right family.  Sorry about giving misleading bits of information, but it is as you probably know, difficult to be certain of what is accurate or not.  I do not know how the information I had on Kalskoga, Beslaga would be connected, if at all.  According to maps I have looked at, Finnåker and Kalskoga (if I assume this means Karlskoga) are quite far apart.

Is it possible to find out any more information about this family.  Either side: Eklund or Boström.  Also could the information on Gus's  cousin, Abel Eklund, be verified.  Obviously it would be great to see how far back we can go back with this Eklund Family.  

If anyone is looking for information on the descendants of Augustus Eklund/Ecklin, I have lots of details there.

Once I am sure this latest information is correct, then I will e-mail the Emigrant Index at the City Archives in Örebro with the information I know about this Eklund/Ecklin Family.

I cannot believe the difference a few years makes.  I tried to get information back then and we kept hitting dead ends.  But this time it has been just great.

Thank you very much again, Gary

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna