ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Ekman, Fanny Hildegard b1870. Emigr - Returned Sweden ca 1896  (läst 516 gånger)

2009-03-01, 01:13
läst 516 gånger

Utloggad Harald Hille

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 60
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-07-01, 14:18
    • Visa profil
I have at least one relative who returned to Sweden for good in the 1890s after spending 6 years or so in New York City. My question is really about the general topic of return, in a way a fiction that all emigrants cling to for a while.  Most don't return (I think), even if they have done well enough abroad to be able to afford a return.
The Swedish port records document departures but not arrivals (I think), whereas New York City records (Ellis Island) document arrivals but not departures.  Emigrants returning from the USA fall into a crack, therefore, being unrecorded on either side of the ocean.
In my case, my grandmother's sister (Fanny Hildegard Ekman - born Johansson in Häradshammar in Östergötland in 1870) returned to Stockholm from the USA around 1896, but it is uncertain when.  I suppose one has to go to church records and find an inflyttnings record.
Best wishes,
Harald Hille

2009-03-01, 01:47
Svar #1

Utloggad Margaretha Johansson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 533
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-09-14, 11:33
    • Visa profil
Hello Harald!
This is what I have found in the Swedish Census 1900. This must certainly be your relative. She was born in Häradshammar, Östergötland.  
In the year 1900 she lived in Stockholm;

Record 126818

Ekman, Fanny Hildegard

b. 1870 in Häradshammar (Östergötlands län, Östergötland)

Woman, single

Facklan N:o 10
Adolf Fredrik rote 18 (Stockholms stad, Uppland)

Kyrkobokföringsort: Adolf Fredrik

Place of birth (original source): Häradshammar Östergötlands län

This might help you somehow - hopefully!

Good luck to  you!
Margaretha

2009-03-01, 03:26
Svar #2

Utloggad Harald Hille

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thanks, Margaretha, for your speedy and informative response.  It looks as though I should study the inflyttning records for Adolf Fredrik parish between ca. 1894 and 1900 to establish when Fanny returned.  I'll have to re-activate my Genline subscription.  Good project until the snow melts outside.
You wouldn't know whether there is a record of immigrants, people entering Sweden?
mvh,
HH

2009-03-01, 11:51
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Harald, there are compiled records of people coming into Sweden from 1875 to 1947, but only for a few counties (län), and I don't believe that Stockholm city is one of them. They exist for the counties of Södermanland and Örebro.

2009-03-01, 15:43
Svar #4

Utloggad Harald Hille

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hej Elisabeth!
Thanks for your added input to the returned emigrant problem.  You mention compiled records, where are they accessible and what sources have they used?  It occurs to me that folks in Sweden have shouldered an enormous task in digitizing records.  Is there any way that users like me can contribute to the actual transcription (other than cash contribution)?  I have in mind either working in Sweden at an archive (donating time, of course) or in some other center or even remotely from home.  I realize that quality control is a high priority in Sweden (and you can be proud of that), but it might still be efficient to engage slave labor and have a fully qualified person revise the work.  Back in the 60s the US Air Force had Ohio housewives transcribing Russian text in transcription, with 2 people working independently on the same text.  A machine then looked for differences in the two versions, using that difference as a clue that someone had made a mistake.
mvh,
HH

2011-08-06, 10:32
Svar #5

Utloggad Moderator USA

• Moderator *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1328
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Transferred from topic Discussions in English/Emigrants

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna