ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Eva Johnson (Svensk???) / Fredrik Johnson  (läst 813 gånger)

2000-05-18, 01:13
läst 813 gånger

Stephanie Johnson

forskande till:
 Eva Johnson (svensk???), född 29 Sept 1855 Värmland... 1889 Elm Dale or Upsala, Morrison Co., Minnesota, USA
 Fredrik Johnson (svensk???) broder???, född 1847-1849??? Värmland...Elm Dale or Upsala, Morrison Co. Minnesota....min farfars far.
 familj?
ursäkta dålig svensk.

2000-05-18, 13:35
Svar #1

Roland Johansson

The Emigranten CD gives someone who might be her:
Eva Johansson, 17 years old. From Karlstad. Emigrated via the port of Göteborg 12 September 1873 to Escanaba, Michigan.  
She travelled with her mother Lovisa, 45, and siblings Beda, 11, and Jonas, 3. Reference 7:593:4802
You could check the church records for Karlstad to see if she was born 29 Sept. If you don't find her there, the only thing to do is to check all the 92 parishes in Värmland. Very time-consuming, though.

2000-05-18, 19:31
Svar #2

Stephanie Johnson

Eva apparently immigrated to Minnesota in 1889, this according to her obituary.  She would have been 33 or 34.  She married the next year, 1890.  If Fredrik is her brother, I believe he helped arrange for her to come over and marry a widower, both were members of the Covenant Church in Upsala.
How do I go about checking parish records.  I am very overwhelmed in my hunt for my great-grandfather, Fredrik.  I have little information.
Thank you for responding (also thanks for the English)

2000-05-18, 23:17
Svar #3

Roland Johansson

I can find only one other person on the CD who approximately fit the data:
Eva Lisa Johannesson, 35, Tveta parish (just west of town Säffle). Left via Göteborg 1888-08-21 for New York. 36:4777:1923
Quite a few of the emigrants from Värmland left from Norwegian ports.  
Some of the passenger lists are available online at the National Archives of Norway.
Thorough information on how to access original records you can read here and a map of all parishes in Värmland is here.

2000-06-18, 16:34
Svar #4

Stephanie Johnson

I found information from 1900 census that lists Eva born September 1854, so her birth date could be 29/09/1854.  She raised my great-grandparents infant son, David.  On the 1900 census he is listed as nephew, so evidence is stronger that Eva Johnson (married name Eckstrom) is my gr-grandfather Fredrik Johnson's sister.  I am hoping Eva's information will help lead me to Fredrik and his information in Sweden.

I have also found that Fredrik Johnson married Sophia Peterson, March 30, 1888 in Minneapolis.  Eva may have emmigrated (1889?) to Minneapolis first, and moved to Elm Dale, Morrison Co.,Minnesota with Fredrik and Sophia.  Eva married John P. Ekström in Morrison Co. in 1890.

2001-01-22, 07:04
Svar #5

Stephanie Johnson

I have found some information that states that Eva Johnson was born 30 Sep 1854 in Wälerud or Wålerud parish (it's handwritten and hard to read) Wermland.  Any ideas where that might be?

2001-01-22, 22:47
Svar #6

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-28, 10:25
    • Visa profil
Stephanie!

I can't find those names on neither parish or village in Värmland. The closest I find, is two parishes Övre (Upper) Ullerud and Nedre (Lower) Ullerud. There is also Sillerud. Could the hard-to-read name be one of those?
In the former county Älvsborg, there is a place called Vållered in the parish Kölingared, but it seems to be a bit far off, some hundred miles from Värmland.

Bo Berndtsson

2001-01-28, 18:33
Svar #7

Stephanie Johnson

Bo,

I am fairly certain of some of the letters Wä??rud.  They could have meant Wäserud (Väserud).  On my map I see Rud and some places that end in rud.  Do you know what rud means?  I was wondering if that refered to the area, or type of land?

Also, do you know if it was common for people in the mid-1800's to move around in the area between Väse and Nykroppa?  I don't know what the land is like, so I don't know how difficult travel would have been.

Tack.

Stephanie

2001-01-28, 21:13
Svar #8

Marianne Fröding (Ruth)

Hemförsamling: Nyeds moder
Hemort: Walserud
Kontrakt: Nyeds
Län: Värmland

Hello Stephanie!
Close up to Väse it is a parrish called Nyed.Look above!!I found it at ANNO 1890!!!
MVH/Marianne

2001-01-28, 22:21
Svar #9

Stephanie Johnson

Tack så mycket Marianne!

I have not been able to find Nyed or Walserud on a map.  Is there a map that shows them?

Tack for the English.

Regards,
Stephanie

2001-01-28, 23:31
Svar #10

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-28, 10:25
    • Visa profil
Hello Stephanie!

I'm glad to see, that Marianne found the place you asked for. Nyed is situated some 20 miles north of Karlstad, close to Molkom. The church is at the western end of a small lake called Borssjön, and Valserud at the eastern shore.
The word you asked for, RUD, with the variations RED, RÖD, RYD, at the end of a name, means clearing, i.e. a clearing in the wood, intended for building or cultivating. It's quite common as an ending in the rural Sweden, especially the southern part of the country.

Bo Berndtsson

2001-01-31, 20:44
Svar #11

Stephanie Johnson

Tack to both Marianne and Bo for the help.  Now I will see if these pieces fit in the puzzle.

Stephanie

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna