ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: General questions about illegitimate children in the late 1700s  (läst 246 gånger)

2023-12-29, 16:35
läst 246 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 00:26
    • Visa profil
My third great grandfather was born illegitimate in 1797 in Skåne.  In 1799 his mother was brought to court and she stated that she had sex with an unknown man which led to the birth of her son.  Would that imply that it was consensual sex or would she have been forced to appear in court even if she was raped?   I don't not know if the man was truly unknown to her or if she was covering up for him or under duress.  My third great grandfather was named Pehr Rasmusson.  His mother's last name was Torkelsdotter.  Since he did not take his mother's name it would imply that his father was a man named Rasmus.  Is that necessarily true?   Would he have chosen his last name or would it have been given to him by his mother?  Was this her way of letting the people now who the father was?
Thanks,
George

2023-12-29, 18:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5141
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-27, 20:09
    • Visa profil
If it was consentual or not didn't really matter at that time, it had to be investigated regardles. I guess the actuall court document would have to be read to fully understand the circumstances. But if the child was called Rasmusson later, his father must have been named Rasmus. Otherwise a non patronymical last name would have been choosen.

2023-12-29, 18:40
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Kalle,
Thank you for replying to my question. 

Here is the information on the original court document on Arkivdigital
Färs häradsrätt (L, M) AIa:75 (1799) Image 4200 (AID: v460438.b4200, NAD: SE/LLA/10016)

Here is a summary of the document
Gertrud Torkelsdotter from Linnehus confessed in court that she, in Brandstad, had had intercourse with an unknown man and, as a result of this, had given birth to a child, also in Brandstad.
It was Gertrud’s first violation of the law on extramarital affairs. She was sentenced to a fine (or, in case of lack of money, seven days in prison). Furthermore, Gertrud had to give Brandstad’s parish church a sum of money, and confess her sin to a priest in the same church.

George

2023-12-29, 19:18
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
That man might only have been unknown to the court, I don't think the woman had to reveal who it was at that time. She probably know who he was, and told her son when he was old enough.

2023-12-29, 19:24
Svar #4

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks again Kalle.  I suspect the father was his uncle (his mother's sister's husband).  He was the only Rasmus in the village.
George

2023-12-29, 19:59
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
That would explaine why Gertrud didn't want to tell who the father was

2023-12-29, 20:28
Svar #6

Utloggad Jörgen Tollesson

• Arkivguiden (www.arkivguiden.net)
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6928
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-27, 19:45
  • Bild: Båhusläns flagga
    • Visa profil
    • Arkivguiden med Arkivguidens Forum, Båhus Arkivguide och Göteborgs Arkivguide
The name is not enough to draw any conclusion about the father's identity. Rasmus was a common name and he didn't have to live in Brandstad.
Kontakt: http://www.arkivguiden.net/jts.shtml. | Ser gamla inlägg (före april 2016) underliga ut? Argumenterar jag mot mig själv? Saknas något i inläggen? Finns där något som inte borde vara där? Läs då om orsaken här: http://forum.arkivguiden.net/agf/disk/42626/62869.shtml#post16472.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna