ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: My mysterious Father in Law's swedish grandpaprent Carl Erick Carlson  (läst 337 gånger)

2023-12-17, 22:11
läst 337 gånger

Utloggad Tracey Carlson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-19, 08:59
    • Visa profil
I need help and it may be an impossible puzzle.

I am looking for swedish connection to my husbands family. The family name in Australia is Carlson. I am trying to locate the origins of Carl Erik Carlson born in Stockholm in mid 1857? possibly son of Gustave Carlson and Katerina Anderson. Father is an officer in the army according to a marriage record.

Carl arrived in Australia about 1874. He was rumoured to have been a royal? who jumped ship so it may all be false including his name, arrival date and ship and parents. I can't find a related shipping record but the ship named travelled between the Australian Colonies. The gold rush in Victoria occurred at that time so he may have tried a bit of gold mining before coming on to Sydney. His wife's family are known to have spent time in Victorian Goldfields area. His future wife picked up his naturalisation certificate 2 years before their marriage.

Carl worked as a cooper (barrel maker) in Australia.

I am a member of Ancestry worldwide. I have checked available Swedish records there and can't quite make the connection.
I would be looking for a person with an ancestor who emigrated and has no known death date. I have also looked at the swedish records sites that others have directed me to but google hasn't really helped with the translations very well.

My Father in Law and Children have done DNA testing through Ancestry. I don't think my children got too many of the needed genes as they has no swedish listed but grandfather is 16%. They do have common matches in 3 known groups and a mystery group of distant relations. I haven't yet had access to FIL DNA matches apart from what is matched with my children. I can't name living people but they are all Carlson.

Any info is wonderful
Tracey

2023-12-18, 17:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1127
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 19:51
    • Visa profil
He may have used his patronymic while he lived in Sweden and until he came to Australia, when it would have looked strange to have another last name than his father. If his father's given name was Gustaf / Gustav, the patronymic would be Gustafsson or Gustavsson.

2023-12-18, 18:23
Svar #2

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1127
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 19:51
    • Visa profil
This young man emigrated through Hamburg, Germany. He titled himself Kaufmann, Merchant.

Efternamn:   GUSTAVSON
Förnamn:     CARL
Ålder:       26            Kön:
Född: 1849/1850
Församling:  STOCKHOLM    Län:
Titel/Anm:   KAUFMANN
Utresehamn:  HAMBURG
Utvandrdag:  1876 07 16
Destination: MELBOURNE
Medåkande:   

2023-12-18, 19:20
Svar #3

Utloggad Kristina Rylander

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3638
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-24, 11:39
    • Visa profil
Tracey, I think I found your tree at ancestry.

You state he was born in Stockholm but in which record have you seen that? I have seen people stating Stockholm as birth place in records before but in some cases it was just put down since it was the capital of Sweden and not necessarily where they were born. He could have been born there but I would just like to know where you saw that or if that was something known in the family?
Death record, marriage record and naturalization record all states Sweden only.

Another thing, you have his naturalization linked. If you look there he states that he arrived in the colony of New South Wales on the ship John Harvey in 1874. The naturalization record is from 1880 and he states he was 23 years old then.

But when he died in 1893 his age is listed as 39? But that was info his wife gave? Born about 1854 in such case, but not sure if much weight should be put on that.

Just wanted to ask, have you tried to find a passenger list for the John Harvey around 1874 (or a year or 2 plus and minus)? As I understand it there was a Sir John Harvey ship between the UK and New South Wales, but I can only find lists from early 1850s on ancestry.

I would try and get access to your FIL match list. And I would also transfer his test to myheritage. Maybe also consider FTDNA and gedmatch, but for sure myheritage if you are looking for Swedish matches. You never know where that perfect match will be.

2023-12-19, 05:57
Svar #4

Utloggad Tracey Carlson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-19, 08:59
    • Visa profil
Thank you for your interest.
I agree that the grandfathers matches would be the ideal. Unfortunately he lives a plane flight or 12 hr drive away and I am relying on his stepdaughter to get it organised. At least we got the test done! When I get access (hopefully as manager) then I want to upload to other sites, preferably one with high use in Sweden.
The extended naturalisation papers states Stockholm as his birthplace with no other detail.
Marriage record refers to parents.
The birthdate is up for grabs so wide searches are needed.... I tend to use 1855 +/- 5 yrs.
Sir John Harvey came to Australia in 1853 and then did the inter colonial trade. I'm yet to find passenger lists on line or any interstate migration record that is relevant to the search.
I think the wife ( or her brothers, who were also helpful around his death) knew very little detail as the parents are not listed on the death certificate at all.
Father in Law seems to think they were very tight lipped re his background and blames that on the royal link! he used to say norway but changed his mind after reading about Queen Victoria and her family. Sweden definitely seems more accurate unless the family went to Norway.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna