ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Jean Emil Strömberg (b 11 April 1847 in Malmöhus, Helsingborg)  (läst 348 gånger)

2023-02-11, 00:57
läst 348 gånger

Utloggad Heidi Vestergaard

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-28, 11:39
    • Visa profil
Hi.

I am researching an ancestor Jean Emil Strömberg who left Sweden in 1865. My question is about location of passenger lists and shipping records. I do not believe they are transcribed as yet or even if they still exist, but it is worth asking!
Also, someone else may have researched this person's family and be able to share some information about this ancestor's departure from Sweden.

I have looked for the Emibas database that I understand has a lot of emigrant details, but cannot locate a copy. I have also scoured Ancestry and as many Swedish history sites as I can think of.

About Jean Emil
He was born to Andreas Magnus Strömberg and Amalia Christina Soffel in April 1847. I think he was the youngest son. Later in the 19th century, one of his brothers, Andreas Christian Strömberg, named one of his children Jean Emil, too (about 1873).

I have attached a record of what Ancestry has for Jean Emil Strömberg's departure from Sweden. I have also attached a screenshot of his birth record in 1847 (9945780/SDD).

My query
I am wondering about how to locate shipping records for Sweden in the 19th century. After that, or as an alternative - I am looking for passenger lists from 1865.
In particular I would like to figure out what ships left Helsingborg on 17 April 1865, where those ships were going, and who was on them. It would be nice to know what ship he left on and the destination.

Other
Through diligent detective work by a cousin in Australia, DNA tests, and then lots more detective work, my cousin hypothesised that Jean Emil Strömberg eventually sailed to New South Wales, Australia, where he was 'John Wilson'. Since then I have joined in with the research work. We do not know if he changed his name somewhere along the way or whether he did so after he got to Sydney. He was a mariner but later became a businessman with timber and property interests. He married twice and died in Sydney Australia in 1910.
On one piece of archival evidence in Australia, he lists his place of origin as Sweden. Later, on other evidence, he says he is from Scotland. We wonder if he went from Sweden to Scotland before coming to Australia. Wilson was a common surname to adopt and lots of men coming from Scandinavia in the 19th century seemed to choose John Wilson as their new names. There was a big shipping line called Wilson that may have had something to do with their choice of surname!

If anybody can suggest where I can look for the detail on passengers and ships in 1865, that would be great. I can deal with a Swedish reply; I don't speak it but I can work it out.

Also, I have the surname for my ancestors as Strömberg and also as Stromberg and Strømberg. I think it was Strömberg but happy to be corrected.

Many thanks

Heidi
Australia

Heidi Vestergaard
Brunswick, Victoria, Australia

2023-10-04, 10:30
Svar #1

Utloggad Bitte Eldh

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 15
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-18, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Most of the swedish emigrants to Australia och New Zeeland from the south part of Sweden, left Europe from an abroad port, many of them from Hamburg. Maybee if You can try to check there? The wessels over "Sundet" (Helsingborg-Helsingör) did not have passenger lists, it was thought as every-day-trafic.

Bitte Eldh

2023-10-04, 18:23
Svar #2

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1127
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 19:51
    • Visa profil
Sweden began regular registering of emigrants at the ports in 1868.
Emibas has the same information as Ancestry. They are both copied from the church books.
Helsingborgs stadsförsamling (Maria) (M) AI:48 (1861-1865) Image 15 / Page 16 (AID: v107143.b15.s16, NAD: SE/LLA/13171)
He was a mariner and it seems he left Helsingborg the first time in 1863.

Translations:
Confirmed 13/4 62
Betyg till sjöresa = Cert for sea voyage 17/2 (?) 63
Utrikes ort = Foreign place

2023-10-04, 18:31
Svar #3

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
His father died 16 June 1872. This is the estate inventory, the first page. The only information on JE is that he lives in Sydney, Australia.

2023-10-04, 19:20
Svar #4

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Another database is Emihamn which has more information about emigrants but I have not seen JE there. He may have worked his way to Australia as a crew and in that case he would not be registered as an emigrant.

2023-10-04, 19:34
Svar #5

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
There are also the Sjömanshus records (Seamen's Offices) where the mariners had to register every employment they had. I have not found JE there.
Sjömanshuset i Helsingborg (M) DIaa:1 (1862-1870) Image 30 (AID: v491425.b30, NAD: SE/LLA/10735)

A sample here:

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna