ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help Translating 1783 Death Record  (läst 957 gånger)

2019-06-29, 03:25
läst 957 gånger

Utloggad John Friberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 139
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-10-26, 00:49
    • Visa profil
Can someone please help me understand parts of this 1783 death record for Eric Frantsson from Gyttorp, Nora bergsförsamling? It appears that he died of Bröstsjuka and was buried on May 4, but I cannot understand the other entries, including his occupation (which looks like a mining job, beginning with "Gruv-") and the precise date of death, as that entry doesn't look like a date to me. His marital status should be änkling, so that appears to be an older spelling of that word. Any help understanding this record is most appreciated. Many thanks!

John

2019-06-29, 09:20
Svar #1

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5141
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-26, 17:28
    • Visa profil
The fifth column is "barn", children, it says "en son lefver", one son alive. Next one is "uppförande", behaviour and it says "beskedligen", good mannered or something like that. Next one was "bröstsjuka" and the one after that is date and place of death. "den 2 maji i fattighuset", 2 may in the poorhouse. Seems like he had a rough time in the end. The last column is funeral day, 4 may.

2019-06-29, 13:09
Svar #2

Utloggad Stefan Dake

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2536
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-26, 16:14
    • Visa profil
Hello John!

You are quite right in that "enkling" is an old spelling of "änkling"!
Here are some links to electronic editions of different swedish-english dictionaries with the old spelling.

The first one is the oldest, from the 1880s. See the preface. This link also contains an english-swedish dictionary.
The second is a swedish-english dictionary from 1904 and the third is an english-swedish dictionary from 1905.

http://runeberg.org/wesselys/
http://runeberg.org/sven1904/
http://runeberg.org/ensv1905/

Regards Stefan
Stefan Dake

2019-06-30, 02:32
Svar #3

Utloggad John Friberg

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thank you Kalle and Stefan. I very much appreciate the translation help and the old dictionary resources. I'm also happy to learn a new (well, old actually) spelling of änkling! One last question on this entry-- His occupation is mentioned just before his name, which I believe is a mining job. His son was a Gruffogden/Gruvfogde (Mining Superintendent, Bailiff or Foreman). Any thoughts on what that says just before his name? Thank you again!

Best,
John

2019-06-30, 07:50
Svar #4

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5141
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-26, 17:28
    • Visa profil
I think it is Gamla kopparsmältaren - former copper smelter

2019-07-01, 03:55
Svar #5

Utloggad John Friberg

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thank you yet again Kalle! I could never have figured that out. Much appreciated.

Best,
John

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna