ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: 1803 Bouppteckning words  (läst 2375 gånger)

2009-04-19, 22:59
läst 2375 gånger

Utloggad Norm Pono Sandin

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 50
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-19, 20:26
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
I start with a big thank you for all of your help!  I think I'm getting a little better at this, but still have difficulties.  Before I put this next bouppteckning online or make clips for you to see, perhaps you can help me get some of the easy ones off the list.  The ancestor died in Hällefors (T).  The penmanship and copying is pretty good, but there may still be errors in spelling or transcription.  I've added my guesses (starting with ) for your amusement.

1 liten Kosa                   1 little ?
1 stk. Kjär panna           1 ? pan
1 stk. Präss. 1 Do. lojern   1 ? 1 ? ?
1 stk. Långref med Träkroker   1 ? with wooden hooks
1 läder Kunt 2 Svarfasker   1 leather ?, 2 turned boxes
3 stk. bärsäer, 5 stk. Klap trä   3 ?, 5 ? wood
1 Kjäxla                   1 ?
1 stk. Band Knif, 2 stk. lagg skafwer, 1 drag   
                                1 two-handled knife, 2 log scrapers, 1 ?
5 Skjäker med rimmer           5 ? with belts
1 näfwer kunt, 1 stk. hask kläma   
                                1 ? ?, 1 ? clip
1 Stk. Gränd Pancloths lifstc.   1 ? ? waistcoat
1 gl. Arm mudder           1 old arm ?
1 pr. Nya Kadrer           1 pair new ?
2 stk. Tånger 1 Ögen wahl, 1 Smedslamp   
                                2 tongs, 1 eye ?, 1 smith's lamp
gl. Grem tyg                   old ? reins
4 stk. Bast Kjärrsor           4 raffia carts
2 stk. Redsler                   2 ?
2 stk. Kalfwet                   2 calfs ?
1 stk. Do. Do. No. 6 Coper No. 6   
                                1 sheepskin rug No. 6 ? No. 6
Teti. Riksgällds Sedlar           ? Riksgälds currency

Thank you for your patience with me!

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-20, 19:39
Svar #1

Utloggad Kjell Gärme

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 174
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-04-27, 21:35
    • Visa profil
Hello Pono!
I'll try to give you some help, but it's not complete.
I put my notes in parenthesis.

1 liten Kosa (kåsa) 1 (little scoop-shaped drinking vessel).  
1 stk. Kjär (Tjär)panna  1 (Tar) pan  
1 stk. Präss (Press). 1 Do. lojern  1  1 (Ditto)? (make a clip of the last word)
1 stk. Långref (Långrev) med Träkroker  1 (ground-line or long-line) with wooden hooks  
1 läder Kunt (kont) 2 Svarfasker  1 leather (a kind of backpacker), 2 turned boxes  
3 stk. bärsäer, 5 stk. Klap trä  3 ?, 5 ? wood ( http://www.tradera.com/Gammalt-klapptra--auktion_88638777 )
1 Kjäxla (Tjäckelyxa) 1 (Gutter adze) http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html
Many good pictures at  products/log building tools.
1 stk. Band Knif, 2 stk. lagg skafwer, 1 drag  1 two-handled knife, 2 log scrapers, 1 (Log scribe).
5 Skjäker med rimmer  5 ? with belts  
1 näfwer kunt (näverkont), 1 stk. hask kläma  1 (backpacker of birch bark) 1 ? clip  
1 Stk. Gränd Pancloths lifstc.  1 ? ? waistcoat  
1 gl. Arm mudder  1 old arm ?  
1 pr. Nya Kadrer (kardor)  1 pair new (carding comb).
2 stk. Tånger 1 Ögen wahl, 1 Smedslamp  
 2 tongs, 1 eye ?, 1 smith’s lamp  
gl. Grem tyg (Grimma?)  old (halter), reins  
4 stk. Bast Kjärrsor  4 raffia carts  
2 stk. Redsler  2 ?  
2 stk. Kalfwet  2 calfs ?  
1 stk. Do. Do. No. 6 Coper No. 6  
 1 sheepskin rug No. 6 ? No. 6  
Teti. Riksgällds Sedlar  ? Riksgälds currency

/Kjell på Rickardsgården

(Meddelandet ändrat av rickardsgarden den 20 april, 2009)

2009-04-21, 00:30
Svar #2

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Thank you very much Kjell!

I've added your work and found a couple more on my own and I'm left with the following.  Hopefully someone else can help with these.  I don't know what to make of Kjär and Präss, but I will make clips if no one recognizes them.

1 stk. Kjär panna ===    1 ? pan
1 stk. Präss. 1 Do. lojern ===   1 ? 1 ? ?
3 stk. bärsäer    === 3 ?
2 stk. lagg skafwer, 1 drag    === 2 log scrapers, 1 ?
5 Skjäker med rimmer ===    5 ? with belts
1 Stk. Grönd Panclotts lifstc. ===    1 ? ? waistcoat
1 gl. Arm mudder ===    1 old arm ?
1 Ögen wahl, 1 Smedslamp ===    1 eye ?, 1 smith's lamp
4 stk. Bast Kjärrsor ===    4 raffia carts
2 stk. Redsler ===    2 ?

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-21, 10:33
Svar #3

Utloggad Kjell Gärme

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello Pono!
Let's try some more.

1 stk. Kjär panna === Tjärpanna. I think it's a pan or pot used when warming the tar so it get fluid and easy to handle.
When I warm tar I take a piece of iron, tie it in a steel wire and put it in a fire until it's properly hot, then I lower it down in the can with tar. This will keep the tar warm and fluid for a rather good time. It's a methode I learned from my grandfather.
http://www.erm.ee/?node=430&lang=eng

1 drag ===  drag. It's a tool used when timbering houses. When you have placed to logs on each other you have to adjust the upper log so it fits well and tight to the lower. Here you use the drag to copy the form of the lower log to the upper. You place the drag between the logs and pull it along them, this will make a marking line along the logs and show you where to cut.  

1 gl. Arm mudder === Arm-mudd. I think it is a part of a knitted sleeve, approx.15 to 20 cm long. You put it on your wrist to keep it extra warm. Mudd is normaly the elastic end of a sleev on a sweater.

/Kjell på Rickardsgården

(Meddelandet ändrat av rickardsgarden den 21 april, 2009)

2009-04-21, 23:58
Svar #4

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
In Släktforskarens uppslagsbok, a dictionary listing 3,400 bouppteckning words, I found plausible explanations for most of the remaining words:

1 stk. Präss. 1 Do. lojern === press and lodjärn. Hollow pressing iron with a removable insert for heating on the fireplace (less risk of getting soot on the outside of the iron from heating, plus if you had multiple lodjärn you didn't have to wait for the iron to re-heat, you just swapped to a hot lodjärn).

3 stk. bärsäer === bärsåar. Round containers made of wood staves, with handles for lifting.

2 stk. lagg skafwer - literally a scraping tool used in making barrels and other containers made up of wood staves. Lagg can mean stave, but also the internal groove holding the bottom of the barrel etc, so likely it's the tool used for making that groove. The bandkniv on the same line is a knife with a handle on each end, used for shaping the staves.

5 Skjäker med rimmer === sjäcker med remmar. Shafts with straps (for attaching a horse to a carriage etc).

1 Stk. Grönd Panclotts lifstc. === grönt [...] livstycke (green [...] under-bodice/waistcoat; depending on if it's a woman's or man's garment). I don't recognise the word describing the fabric, and see nothing like it in the dictionary. A Swedish folk costume historian would probably know!

1 Ögen wahl === ögonval. Tool for making the hole in an axe head that will hold the handle.

1 Smedslamp - I wonder if it might actually be spelled smedstång, i.e. smith's tongs? I don't know if blacksmiths had special lamps.

2 stk. Redsler === plural of redsel or rissel. A sieve of interwoven canes or wood slats, for sorting grain or seeds.

2009-04-22, 04:13
Svar #5

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
The dictionary you noted sounds very valuable!  Thank you for your help!

The “Präss” and “lojern” then must be the same as “styckjern med lod” which I found in another bp.

I have a pic of the “bandkniv”.

Could “Panclotts” be a brand name or was 1803 too early for such things?  This is the bp of a man so I'm calling it waistcoat.  I'll attach a clip.

I will attach a clip for “smedslamp” because it could well be something else.

Kjell and Anna-Carin, I am extremely grateful for your help!

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-22, 09:38
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Pono, the word Panclotts should be read as camlotts, which is a kind of fabric, made from tightly spun woolen yarn. It can also be spelled kamlott , a more modern spelling.

2009-04-22, 20:52
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
You're welcome.  

styckjern med lod === strykjärn med lod. You're right that it's a pressing iron, and in modern Swedish it's still called strykjärn.

Re smedslamp, I think it's a 't' rather than an 'l'; -stamp. A stamp was a tool for working metal (a mold/form/stamp or die in English). I can't make out the first part, that specifies what kind of stamp it is. To me the word looks a bit like Skdstamp which might be skedstamp; a tool for shaping spoons - but in those days I think only silversmiths made spoons so it doesn't quite fit the context, and omitting the only vowel of the syllable seems like a rather strange spelling mistake to make anyway, so I may have got it wrong.

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb den 22 april, 2009)

2009-04-23, 06:56
Svar #8

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Elisabeth and Anna-Carin, once again thank you! Now thanks to help from many, I have pretty much all the object words (except the smed one) and I'm working on the summary paragraphs of the bouppteckning.  I have a guess at all the words but I'm having trouble putting them together.  Here are three sentences with my guess at the transcription and translation.  I hope you can help me.

Rojselrätten härstädes befants Agorna väl Skjötta men något litet Stenbunden Husen något klena Sedan efter ett noga öfwerseende uptogs för En Summa                              RD
eller uti Koppmt. 4833 Dr.

Certain rights here stand ? owner well treated but someone little Stenbunden Husen someone poor later after a careful review adopted for a total                      RD
or in Kopparmynt 4833 Dr.

Sedan Gälden blifwer ar dragen blifwer en behällning till en.

Later gold is converted so the remainder is in accordance with

Ännu vidare upgifs 1/8dels Skatte Hemman uti Karttens Hult af Grythytte Socken med tillhörigheterna som der til lyder enligt kjöpebref utgifwit af Herr Petter Anders Ornberg på Grythyttehed daterat den 20de Augustii 1802 - Uptags efter Kjope Summans storlek

Still further information 1/8th tax home in Karttens Hult of Grytthyttan parish with belongings which reads in accordance with the copy of a letter presented by Herr Petter Anders Ornberg of Grythyttehed dated the 20th August 1802 - adopted after copy total value     

I hope this is not too much to ask - I've done about all I can and really need help!

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-23, 10:07
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Pono, here we go:

First picture is correctly transcribed, but the translation can be different:

Röjselrätt is a concept that means that the person who has done a lot of work on a plot of land is entitled to own the value of the work and also any buildings he has put up, but not the land itself.  

The röjselrätt in this place was found [to be] land well taken care of, but with a little too much stones in them [the fields]. The houses were not so good. Then after carefull consideration valued at a sum of .......riksdaler
or in copper money 4833 daler.

Second picture:

Sedan Gälden blifwer af dragen
blifwer en behållning till en

When the debts have been deducted there will be a residue of ....

Third picture:

Next there was informed [that] 1/8 of the Skatte Hemman at Kastenshult of Grythytte parish with the possessions that belongs [to the farm] according to a letter of purchase issued by Mr Petter Anders Grönberg of Grythyttehed, dated the 20th of August 1802, was recorded after the size of purchase sum to

-------

There can probably be better translations, but, as you have found, it is not easy yo translate old legalese...

Greetings from sunny Sweden!

2009-04-23, 20:15
Svar #10

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Fascinating!  This is a great illustration of why computers (or old guys with dictionaries) will never totally replace knowledgeable humans when it comes to translations!  I can't find enough superlatives to express my appreciation!

The following sentence and paragraph are the “last” questions I have with this bouppteckning - I hope you folks who have been so helpful have enough patience for two more challenges.  I will be putting the “finished” product on my website soon to help others who are trying to do this.  See http://www.sandinfamily.com and look for Genealogy Resources - Bouppteckning Translations.

I can't believe what the words say - it must be incorrect.

1 stk. Stor Tjur, 1 stk. Qwiga samt, 1 mans redsadel till flogs Sonen Nils för dess ofärdighet skull

1 large bull, 1 heifer, and 1 man's saddle goes to son Nils due to his lack of skills

--------

I understand how the first set of numbers for the girls was arrived at, but don't know why mother and son added more for them.  And what does “utsupas” mean?

Till slut blef en öfwerens kommelse att Stärbhusets skuld, skulle betalas af boets Contanta penningar, och sedal delas öfwerskottet, samt Röjsellrätten och fordrin, garna arfwingarna fins emellan.  Men de andra Lösörorna och warrorna som är en summa af RD 280.7.6.  Modrans 20de penning 42. RD 26. sk 6. rst afdrages blir en behållning eller öfwerskottet 237.29.- som belöper på Gifta Dottren Catrina 39. RD 28.10- Sams omyndiga dottren Maria 39. RD 28.10- och blef ofwer ins kommit att myndiga Sonen Nils samt Modren Skulle öka så att dottren Catrina kommer att få 55. RD 26. sk 8. rst äfwen den omyndiga dottren Maria 55. RD 26. sk 8 rst.  Emot det att Myndiga Sonen Nils och Modren förgående wärdi.  Undertecknade förklarade sig nöjda med föregående Boupteckning och förening, Så wida Lof. Härads Rätten gifwer sitt bifall derlia å den omyndiges wägnar.

To end is an agreement that the estate's debts, shall pay of the estate's cash, and bill divide agreement, also that certain rights and demands, willingly heirs well together.  But the other personal property and goods which is a total of RD 280.7.6.  Mother's 20th penning 42. RD 26. sk 6. rst deduction leaves a remainder or surplus of 237.29.- which amount to married daughter Catrina 39. RD 28.10- likewise to minor Maria 39. RD 28.10- and is result that adult son Nils as well as the mother shall add to so that daughter Catrina will be allowed 55. RD 26. sk 8. rst also the minor daughter Maria 55. RD 26. sk 8 rst.  Received that adult son Nils and mother previous worthy.  The undersigned explain themselves pleased with foregoing bouppteckning and combination, provided that the venerable District Court gives its order [approving] share on the minor's behalf.

-----------

Once again, a giant thanks to all who took the time to help out!

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-24, 12:49
Svar #11

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
... tillslogs Sonen Nils för dess ofärdighet skull
... goes to son Nils due to his being crippled/disabled

In what context did you see utsupas?  

You seem to have missed two lines in transcribing the bouppteckning, adding them back it makes more sense:  

Till slut blef en öfwerens kommelse att Stärbhusets skuld, skulle betalas af boets Contanta penningar, och sedan delas öfwerskottet, samt Röjsellrätten och fordringarna arfwingarna sins emellan, Med de andra Lösörorna och warrorna som är en summa af RD 280.7.6. Modrens 20de penning 42. RD 26. sk 6. rst afdrages blir en behållning eller öfwerskottet 237.29.- som kommer att delas Modren och Barnen emellan och belöper på Gifta Dottren Catrina 39. RD 28.10- Samt omyndiga dottren Maria 39. RD 28.10- och blef öfwerens kommit att myndiga Sonen Nils samt Modren Skulle öka så att dottren Catrina kommer att få 55. RD 26. sk 8. rst äfwen den omyndiga dottren Maria 55. RD 26. sk 8 rst. Emot det att Myndiga Sonen Nils och Modren får behålla lösörorna eller warrorna tillhopa efter föregående wärdi. Undertecknade förklarade sig nöjda med föregående Boupteckning och för[del]lning, Så wida ??? Härads Rätten gifwer sitt bifall dertill å den omyndiges wägnar.  

Finally it was agreed that the estate’s debts would be payed with the estate’s cash, and then the excess, the Röjselrätt and the claims will be divided between the heirs, along with the other personal property and goods, which total RD 280.7.6. The mother's 20th part, 42. RD 26. sk 6. rst, is deducted leaving a balance or excess of 237.29.- which amounts for married daughter Catrina to 39. RD 28.10- and minor daughter Maria 39. RD 28.10- and was agreed that adult son Nils and the mother would add to it so that the daughter Catrina receives 55. RD 26. sk 8. rst, and the minor daughter Maria also 55. RD 26. sk 8 rst. in exchange for that the adult son Nils and the mother get to keep the personal property or goods, valued as above stated. The undersigned declared themselves content with the above bouppteckning and division, provided that the ??? District Court approves it on behalf of the minor.

I hope someone else can tell you what rules applied in dividing the estate. Google tells me the widow's 20th part was prescribed by law, but as that is 42. RD 26. sk 6. rst it seems to be calculated on a sum of about 850 RD (perhaps you can find a matching sum earlier in the document?). The daughters' original share is presumably their share stipulated by law, and 39. RD 28.10- is 1/6th of 237.29.- so the estate seems to have been divided in six equal shares that were distributed between the heirs, but I don't know how many shares a widow or son would've recieved compared to a daughter. Perhaps the mother gets three shares (half the estate) and the son one (same as the daughters), or possibly the mother and son each get twice a daughter's share - I'm just speculating here, I don't know!

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb den 24 april, 2009)

2009-04-24, 18:21
Svar #12

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Until 1845, in the rural areas, sons inherited twice the amount that daughters inherited, according to the 1734 Law.

2009-04-24, 22:47
Svar #13

Utloggad Kjell Gärme

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
About utsupas.
If it's in the end of the document and after it comes only some persons signing, then I think it should be “ut supera” and that's Latin and means roughly, “as above”. The person who wrote this Bouppteckning I think that he often spelled as the words sounds to him.
/Kjell på Rickardsgården

2009-04-25, 00:54
Svar #14

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Anna-Carin, I greatly appreciate your efforts and believe I understand the results!  My tiny contribution is that I've been told that the word left in ??? is “lof.” or “lofl.”, an abbreviation for “lofliga” which is venerable.

“Utsupas” is the word at the bottom of the image.  Under that is the list of witnesses, heirs, guardians, etc.  You nailed it Kjell!

I now understand why the son and mother added to the two daughters' share, since they took the goods in exchange.  I also understand the original computed shares.  The mother got 1/3 and the balance was divided to give the son twice what each daughter received.  Coincidentally Nils' share was the same 1/3 as his mother's and each girl got 1/6.

I'm sorry for the two lines I missed and you are correct that they really helped with understanding.

I'm still studying the last word in the line of smeds redskap (image above) that might end in “stamp”.  Could the first letters be “sn” for “socken” - does “socken stamp” make any sense?  Maybe an abbreviation of the parish name?

I hope to get this bp online this weekend (URL above) thanks to all who contributed!  I'm working on another bp with poor penmanship and poor quality images so I may have to call on you folks again in a few weeks.  This one is for the ancestor who started my Sandin line so I'm anxious to see what it has to offer!

Mahalo and Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-25, 22:45
Svar #15

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Aha, I didn't know about the meaning of lof.. Thanks!

I don't think it's an abbreviation sockenstamp; it looks to me like S?dstamp which doesn't quite match. At first I thought the 2nd letter could be a 'k', but now I'm changing my mind and thinking it may be an 'ä' ('n' doesn't account for the smudge above, which 'k' or 'ä' does). I chanced on googling for sädstamp, got no hits but Google suggested sättstamp instead, which yielded a plausible explanation: it's a hand stamp used in blacksmithing to create ledges on the piece, as well as for forcing rings onto a axle. I think we've got it right this time!

(Sockenstamp is an existing word, meaning parish seal stamp, but I think it's an unlikely meaning: From the little I've read about parish seal stamps they were used to seal official documents, so I doubt that the seal stamp would've been someone's personal property to pass on to their heirs - it ought to be the property of the parish, to be used by its current representatives. And if it is indead a parish seal stamp, why on earth list it on the same line as some ironworking tools?  In my limited experience, stuff listed on the same line in a bouppteckning are usually related somehow.)

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb den 25 april, 2009)

2009-04-26, 06:12
Svar #16

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Anna-Carin

A very reasonable answer!  I have added it to the bp and it is all online.  The one you've been helping with is for Nils Nilsson Zander.

“sädstamp” ===  

“happystamp” ===  

I've taken the liberty of including you on the list of “credits” for the bp translation help.  If this is not to your liking, I'll remove it of course.  I do thank you very much!

I've done the introduction and first few entries on the “new” bp and I see I have a big challenge.  I'm sure to be back with questions in a few weeks.

Aloha,
Pono

2009-04-26, 19:58
Svar #17

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Thanks for the credits; I didn't expect it, but of course I don't mind!  It'll be interesting to see your next bouppteckning.  

I took a brief look at your finished bouppteckning, on page 7 I think the jern grepe should translate to iron pitchfork. Grepe can mean a type of handle but is also an alternate spelling for grep (pitchfork).

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna