ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Military Photograph Identification  (läst 1131 gånger)

2011-02-20, 21:57
läst 1131 gånger

Utloggad Mary Wennerstrom

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 48
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-03-25, 14:10
    • Visa profil
    • www.beansandcaviar.blogspot.com
I have a photograph of an unknown relative and I cannot tell if it is a Swedish, British or Canadian military uniform. It appears there is an anchor on the hat. The photo looks like an official studio portrait but it may be a copy as it is not on card stock. The album was one of my great grandmother's Alma Augusta Johansson from Tyndero.

Any help to narrow down the country would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mary

}

2011-02-21, 10:09
Svar #1

Utloggad Stefan Zylberstein

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 334
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-05-12, 20:33
    • Visa profil
The order to the left seems to be the swedish Sword-order.  
Given to officers typically after 20 years of well done service. Similiar order but in silver to NCO after 16 years.  This here may be in fact the NCO-version - as it is shining in the middle. The officer version is in gold - and thus on black and white photos often seems to be dark in the middle...

The problem is - the Sword-sign, being the very highest order for a field officer or NCO (or civil-militarian service man like military doctor or miliary priest) - is usually alone (always on the left chest).  ONE example: a count, being also a major - had surely lotsa of orders and signs - when photographed, had only his Sword order on.

This here naval officer does have 2 orders on him.
Perhaps an indicium he is not swede??  OR did earned a very high order in some other country too.

Greetings
/Stefan

2011-03-25, 14:10
Svar #2

Utloggad Mary Wennerstrom

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 48
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-03-25, 14:10
    • Visa profil
    • www.beansandcaviar.blogspot.com
Thank you!

That's really interesting - I'm sure he is not from the United States as there is a crown over top the emblem on the hat. The hat has an anchor, which indicates navy or captain of a boat? The stripes on his sleeve are puzzling too.

Hmmmmm, it's a puzzle.

2012-01-04, 20:29
Svar #3

Utloggad Moderator USA

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1328
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Thread transfered from Discussions in English/General as to get better chanses to answer.

2012-01-04, 21:01
Svar #4

Utloggad Olle Kandell

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 137
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-13, 14:52
    • Visa profil
This is definitely an old Swedish Navy uniform. The man is a flaggunderofficer - a senior NCO.
In this link: http://runeberg.org/nfcj/uniform6.jpg you can easily identify the rank
(as person no 6) and type of coat (as person no 4). Someone with a deeper knowledge of old ranks of Swedish Navy might specify what categori this NCO was.

I agree that the man is wearing Svärdstecknet (The Badge of the Sword) that was awarded NCO:s in the military forces up to 1974. The other sign is a regular medal - but not possible to identify.
Olle Kandell

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna