ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: The landroth surname  (läst 1973 gånger)

2004-11-17, 11:33
läst 1973 gånger

maggie

Landroth is not a very common name, does anyone have any information or the name Landroth in their family tree please get in touch with me thanks

2004-11-17, 21:41
Svar #1

Utloggad Irene Poignant

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 292
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-12-21, 13:47
    • Visa profil
Where did you come across this name? Was it in a Census?
I've spent some time looking for Lindroth in the various Censuses and found them with very strange spellings in the indexes.

Irene Poignant
olofer@cox.net

2004-11-17, 22:30
Svar #2

Eva Leksell

See: Discussions in English: Swedish names: Andersson, Landroth and Petterson.

2004-11-18, 12:16
Svar #3

maggie

Hi Irene and Eva
Thank you both for your replies. Landroth is my granddad's surname. and that is my discussion for andersson landroth and petterson. I was hoping someone might recognize the name.

2011-10-07, 03:09
Svar #4

Utloggad Maggie Landroth

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 16
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-11-18, 03:20
    • Visa profil
Where does the name Landroth originated from? Wouldn't there have to be some kind of family connection for a person to change their name to Landroth, Sven Landroth was originally Sven Jacobsson father was Jacob Ersson. Some of the family have taken on the Landroth surname including Jacob Ersson wife Anna Stina Svensdotter.

2011-10-07, 20:07
Svar #5

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
The name could have been adopted for no more reason than the person liked the sound of it. No family connection to someone else with the same name required. Or, there could have been any number of extenuating circumstances that led the person to adopt that name.

Here is a link to a very useful document (PDF) about Swedish naming customs will help you understand your ancestors' reasons for adopting (or not!) a family surname:
http://web.comhem.se/~u31263678/genealogy/Names.pdf

Jeff

2011-10-07, 20:09
Svar #6

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Family names were just adopted in Sweden. Until 1901 there were no laws regarding assuming any family name you fancied, bar noble family names.

In the 18th century farmers had patronymics, no family names. Burghers (townspeople, i.e. merchants, craftsmen, but not servants nor factory workers) would take a family name. So a farmer's son moving into a town or city to, e.g., join a guild (as an apprentice) would adopt a family name when he became a journeyman. The clergy, and other men who had studied at university (e.g. medical doctors) would also adopt a family name when they entered university. And since the 1620's, the nobility all had family names. Two special groups are soldiers and smiths. Soldiers were given surnames, not family names, when they enlisted. Smithing families always had family names.

The name Landroth is a burgher name, but it may well have been adopted within other groups. Burgher names are made up of two parts (land - roth) and they most often refer to something in nature (land is of course land, grounds and roth is a fanciful way of spelling rot - root).

So at some stage Sven Jacobsson (or indeed his fatehr) ceased to be a farmer - or possibly, just possibly became a very rich and influential farmer (e.g. member of parliament) - and to mark the change in status he adopted a family name. From where he had the idea of making up the name Landroth is anybody's guess - in many, many (perhaps most) cases there's absolutely no telling how people arrived at a particular name.

Read more about Swedish naming customs:
http://web.comhem.se/~u31263678/genealogy/Names.pdf

Ingela

2011-10-08, 03:36
Svar #7

Utloggad Maggie Landroth

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Jeff and Ingela
Thank you both for replying and explaining, very interesting!!
Maggie

2011-10-11, 07:33
Svar #8

Utloggad Maggie Landroth

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi there can anyone do a look up for me please  
Erik Ersson (Eriksson) born 1747 he married first Brita Johansdotter second Anna Stina Svensdotter, was his parents Erik Olsson and Helena Eriksdr. Would Olsson be Olofsson and Eriksdr be Eriksdotter?
I found these children but need confirmation that its the same family and were there any more children and when and where did Erik Olsson and Helena Eriksdr marry?

Name: Olof Ericsson
HUDDINGE, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
Birth Date: 05 Oct 1742  
Father's Name: Eric Olofsson  
Mother's Name: Lena Eriksdr

Maria Margareta Ericsdotter
Birth Date: 21 Sep 1745
Father's Name: Eric Olsson
Mother's Name: Lena Eriksdr

Name: Jacob Eriksson
Birth Date: 11 May 1747  
Father's Name: Erik Olsson  
Mother's Name: Helena Eriksdr

Name: Helena Ericsdotter
Birth Date: 01 Jul 1749
Mother's Name: Lena Ericsdr

Name: Jonas Ericsson
Birth Date: 09 Dec 1751
Mother's Name: Lena Ericsson

thank you

2011-10-11, 20:53
Svar #9

Utloggad Magnus Hagelin

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 105
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-20, 08:32
    • Visa profil
What I can see there's only one Eric with a father named Erik born in 1747 in Huddinge.
He's born March 12th in Smedstorp and his parents are Erik Nilsson and Brita Erksdotter.

You're right about the surnames, by the way:
Olsson = Olofsson and Eriksdr = Eriksdotter

/Magnus

2011-11-15, 06:09
Svar #10

Utloggad Maggie Landroth

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
A marriage lookup please
can anyone please tell me who these people of huddinge married their parents were Jacob Eriksson and Brita Johansdotter first marriage ( children Johan, Jacob, Eric and Pehr) and Anna Svensdotter second marriage ( children Sven, Maja and Anders)Sven married Anna Brita Bjurling in 1837
Johan Jacobsson b. 7 Nov 1776  
Jacob Jacobsson b. 20 Feb 1779  
Eric Jacobsson b. 27 May 1781  
Pehr Jacobsson b. 20 Apr 1784  
Maja Lena Jacobsdotter b. 22 June 1793 she later change her name to Madgalena Landroth
Anders Jacobsson b. 14 May 1800

2011-11-18, 03:20
Svar #11

Utloggad Maggie Landroth

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
hi can anyone tell me if this baby was the son of Jacob Ersson and Brita Johansdotter
1775 0926 Erik Jacobsson   ..borg   Rödsot   1 år 4 m 3 d   C:4

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna