ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish Naming Question  (läst 1873 gånger)

2000-05-29, 23:57
läst 1873 gånger

sarah

I am wondering about the way that the children are named My great grandfather's name is Lars Lundgren and his father's name is Carl Persson and then Carl's fathers name is Per Carlsson Lundgren.  Can someone tell me how the Lundgren name was added on and why is skipped a generation.  Was it up to the parents as to what they wanted to name them and why was the Lundgren added to Per Carlsson?  I do Know that the last name is found by the father's first name and adding son or dotter to the end my biggest question is how Lundgren was formed.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

2000-05-30, 08:47
Svar #1

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Sarah,

I have a page explaining the Swedish naming practice in earlier times. The address is:
www.algonet.se/~hogman/Naming%20practice_eng.htm

This article will probably answer your questions.

Hans

2000-05-30, 10:36
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Another page about the Swedish names and why they are the way they are, can be found at http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-49407/nwonamn.htm

2000-05-31, 02:46
Svar #3

sarah

Thank you both.  Both pages are very useful thank you again.

sarah

2000-09-10, 18:22
Svar #4

Andreas Karlsson

2001-10-12, 04:19
Svar #5

Utloggad Mårten Karud

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 1
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Good day My Name is sundeen in canada. I know i have data in history for my family name Sundin. This information is based from going back To Erik Teet and Sunsvall the town ( 12th  century). Could anyone please give more information on the basic roots for this name. Thankyou. Mark Sundeen

2001-10-12, 10:07
Svar #6

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hello Mark,

It was common that soldier and even other people
put an -in, -en, -ius, -ander or other endings or suffix, after a place name like Sund, Lund, Nord, Land and so on.

This would the be the name they used for the family.

You can read about that in the addresses You see in the discussions above.
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/Naming%20practice_eng.htm  
and
http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-49407/nwonamn.htm

Regards

Sam

2001-10-12, 13:55
Svar #7

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6204
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-21, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Sund means sound, strait(s), a narrow passage of water. The name of the town is Sundsvall, which would mean the bank on the sound.

2003-03-22, 22:58
Svar #8

Utloggad Patricia Mikkelsen

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 39
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-29, 21:10
    • Visa profil
One of my ancestors was named Swen Lysell.  Can anyone tell me the meaning of this name?  To me, it looks like a regional name.  Lyse, perhaps?  However, I understand that he was a soldier.  I will appreciate any feedback...

2003-03-22, 23:57
Svar #9

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
You can read about Swedish names and naming customs here.

2003-03-23, 05:20
Svar #10

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Yes, thank you for responding. I did read this information and also at another web site that was mentioned above: www.algonet.se/~hogman/Naming%20practice_eng.htm  

But I did not see anything there that explained the name Lysell. I don't know enough about Swedish place names to recognize if it is the name of a town, parish or farm. I know there is a place Lyse and Lysekil. I was hoping someone here could tell me about this name, and if perhaps it is a clue to where my ancestor was born. Or maybe it has something to do with him being a soldier?  He was Swen Lysell, who married Maria Persdotter.  They are the parents of my g-g-grandmother, Gustafwa Svensdotter Lysell, born 14 Dec 1838 in Bro.  

I found a marriage record on the LDS FamilySearch for a Maria Persdotter and Swen Olsson, 1831 in Brastad, but I can't tell if these are my ancestors. Any clues or guidance at this point would be greatly appreciated.

2003-03-23, 08:40
Svar #11

Utloggad Per Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1827
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-04, 21:36
    • Visa profil
Patricia,

There is a soldier Sven Lysell at Bohusläns regemente, Hallind rote, number 68, Bro parish. He was born 1810- 05-08, hired as a soldier in 1835. His wife was Maria Persdotter, born 1801-05-06.

He may be the same person as soldier Sven Lysell, hired 1833 for Nedre Lyse rote, Lyse parish.  

There are several other soldiers by the name Lysell from various regiments, but these are the only Sven.

All the above comes from Soldatregistret CD.

If you put a question under Bro parish, you may get his birthplace from someone with access to the parish records.

Good luck!

Per Thorsell.

2003-03-24, 20:06
Svar #12

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Per,

Thank you SO MUCH for the information!  I will definitely post under Bro parish, although I think other parishes are also involved (Brastad, and possibly Foss).  The marriage record I found on FamilySearch.com would seem to match the information you have provided.  Maria Persdotter (b. 1801) married Swen Olsson (b. 1810) in Brastad, 28 Dec. 1831.  What do you think. is this a possibility?

Also, I wasn't sure how to interpret your dates.  Is it Year-Day-Month or Year-Month-Day? If it is the former, I may have found Sven's birth, but I'm not sure how to verify it.  I found Sven Olufsson, born 5 August 1810 in Foss, Goteborg och Bohus.  How far is Foss from Bro and Brastad?

Thanks again.
Patricia

2003-03-24, 22:38
Svar #13

Utloggad Per Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1827
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-04, 21:36
    • Visa profil
First, dates are Year-month-day (Global praxis outside of USA).

If you have confirmation, that your g-g-grandmother was indeed born in Bro at the date given, this soldier and his wife must be her parents.

I suggested the posting of a question under Bro, because we know, that Sven Lysell lived at a specific address (Hallind soldier cottage) during the years after 1835. His birthday and birth parish are most likely included in the local census (husförhörslängd) for these years. If you are lucky, there is also an indication of when, and from where he moved to Bro.

The soldier name Lysell was probably given to him, when he was hired in Lyse. It does not necessarily indicate, that this was his birthplace.

Per Thorsell.

2003-03-24, 23:35
Svar #14

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Per, Thanks again.  Sorry I made that mistake about the dates.  If Sven's birth date is 8 May 1810, then the Sven Olufsson born in Foss is not my relative. He was born 5 August.  

I have confirmation, from another researcher, that my g-g grandmother (Gustafwa Svensdotter Lysell) was born in Bro on 14 December 1838 -- and that her parents were Sven Lysell and Maria Persdotter.  On FamilySearch.com, I found a marriage record with ages that match the ages of the soldier and his wife that you found.  So far, that is all I can confirm.  

I have posted under Bro.  I hope someone will respond, since I must post in English.

Regards,
Patricia

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna