ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish Names  (läst 1594 gånger)

2010-06-29, 17:37
läst 1594 gånger

Utloggad David Lideen

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-07-06, 19:31
    • Visa profil
This is what I know, My grandfather Elis Alfred Lidén, born 1, October, 1883, in Holmedahl Varmland.  
His fathers name Anders Ericsson Lidén. His mother's last name was also Lidén and I believe her father's name was Per Lidén.  
How is it that they all had the same last name? This and any other information would be much appreciated.  

Thank you,  
Dave Lideen  
Minnesota, USA

2010-06-30, 05:46
Svar #1

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Dave,

I found your family mentioned in a couple places on-line. The DISBYT database (composed of families submitted by members of the genealogy society, DIS) has an entire tree that includes your grandfather. Some of your ancestors are also mentioned in a discussion on this board under the family name Råbock (see: Släkter - Övriga släkter - R). Judging from these sources, it appears Lidén was used by your family for several generations before your grandfather. This probably means the family was middle class (at least the earliest generations) and those men had middle class occupations (for example clergymen, officers in the army, etc.). The family seems to largely originate from western Värmland, near the Norway border. The parishes Holmedal, Karlanda, Köla and especially Töcksmark are strongly represented.

Jeff

2010-06-30, 06:06
Svar #2

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Also, see this discussion:
http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/messages/576/44271.html?1139062314
(Släkter - Övriga släkter - L - Lidén)

-J

2010-06-30, 16:47
Svar #3

Utloggad David Lideen

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Jeff,

Thank you so much for such  good information.
Its been awhile since I got the itch to work on my roots. This gets me excited and ready to go!

Thank you againn,
Dave

2010-07-01, 12:14
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
This is the family in 1890 (census):

Eriksson Lidén, Anders b. 1838 in Töcksmark parish (Värmland county)
Lidén, Anna Lovisa     b. 1853 in Karlanda parish (Värmland county)
Alfina Eugenia          b. 1876 in Holmedal parish (Värmland county)
Ellen Kristina          b. 1878 in Holmedal parish (Värmland county)
Laura Augusta          b. 1879 in Holmedal parish (Värmland county)
Elis Alfred          b. 1883 in Karlanda parish (Värmland county)

They lived at Brevik östra in Ny parish (Värmland county, Värmland province). Anders is noted as farm owner (hemmansägare).

Since the family doesn't exist in the 1900 census, I suppose they emigrated some time between 1890 and 1900.

About the name:
Having a patronymic in addition to a family name was a common practice until the first decades of the 19th century but not in 1890. In 1890 a double last name tended instead to indicate that a person had previously had one of the names and then changed into the other.
Anders has a patronymic in addition to his family name while his wife Anna Lovisa has only one name. Furthermore, you believe Anna Lovisa's father also had the family name of Lidén.
Taking all these facts into account, I personally believe that Anders assumed his wife's name. He was perfectly free to do so since he could take any name he wanted (bar a noble name) until 1901. Or, they were cousins - but my bet is on Anders using his wife's name.

Ingela

2010-07-01, 16:19
Svar #5

Utloggad Katarina Sohlborg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3058
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-13, 23:53
    • Visa profil
    • www.thorsaker.se
Hello

Anna Lovisa was born 1853-01-24 in Karlanda parish. Her father was tradesman Per Lidén born 1821-07-24 in Fristad parish in Västra Götaland. His parents was Per Persson and Ölleka Andersdotter from Lida village in Fristad. So it seems that they had the same family name but not related. It is app. 260 km between Fristad and Karlanda.

Katarina
Katarina Sohlborg

2010-07-01, 17:30
Svar #6

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
To make this crystal clear:

Anna Lovisa was born to the family name Lidén. Since Anna Lovisa's grandfather (father's father) had a patronymic (Persson) it is safe to assume that Anna Lovisa's father adopted the name Lidén when he became a tradesman (a very common practice); the name was surely inspired by the name of the ancestral village, Lida.

Fristad parish is situated in Veden judicial district and so it belongs to the famous so-called seven judicial districts region (Sjuhäradsbygden), famous for its textile industry - but even more famous for being home to the only exception to the prohibition against trading outside town and city limits: the pedlars (knallar). Since Per Lidén is described as a tradesman, he probably started out as a pedlar and on his journeys he visited Karlanda (the pedlars from this small region in southwestern Sweden covered all of Sweden) where he met the girl he wanted to marry.

It is still not proven if Anna Lovisa's husband was born to the name Lidén or - as is my guess - adopted and used his wife's name.

Ingela

2010-07-02, 00:30
Svar #7

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6203
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-18, 00:28
    • Visa profil
Anna Lovisa's husband Anders Eriksson Lidén was born in Töcksmark, 5 April 1838. Parents: Erik Andersson Lidén and Böret Andersdotter. (Töcksmark C:5, see also Töcksmark AI:12, p 179)

2010-07-02, 11:43
Svar #8

Utloggad Britt-Marie Waller

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4945
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-07, 13:06
    • Visa profil
Erik Andersson Lidén was born 1804-06-18 Västra Bön, Töcksmark, C:3 p 25). His parents were Anders Eriksson Lidén and Ingrid Nilsdotter.

Anders Eriksson Lidén was born 1773-02-04 in Öbyn, Töcksmark, C:2 p 25). His parents were komminister (pastor) Erik Lidén and his wife Mariana Råbock.

Best regards

Britt-Marie

(Meddelandet ändrat av bmw 2010-07-02 11:44)

2010-07-02, 16:44
Svar #9

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Erik Danielsson Lidén was born 1731 in Karlanda according to family trees published on DISBYT. His parents were Daniel Olofsson (b. about 1694 in Karlanda) and Ingeborg Ersdotter (b. 1695 Karlanda). Daniel Olofsson also had a brother Erik Olofsson Lidén.

Erik Danielsson Lidén married Mariana Råbock (b. 1739 Älgå, Värml.) in Holmedal in 1763.

According to an on-line map, there are several place names (nature features, not farms) starting with 'Lid-' in that region that could have inspired the name Lidén.

Jeff

2010-07-06, 19:12
Svar #10

Utloggad David Lideen

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you to all that have contributed to this forum. I was not expecting such a good response!
I have also found a 6th cousin threw DIS.  Now I just have to figure out how to use that site as I can contribute to Elis Lideen family (Spelling Lidén changed in USA) tree on this side of the ocean.
Any other help is most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dave Lideen

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna