ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedes with middle names in America, not in Sweden  (läst 716 gånger)

2011-03-18, 18:48
läst 716 gånger

Utloggad Kyla Sandberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 39
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-08-11, 20:52
    • Visa profil
I have recently found some cases of Swedish relatives that had no middle name in the Swedish records, but in America a middle name appears in the records. One case was, August Persson became August Victor Peterson and sometimes Augustus Victor Persson. The Victor appeared in the names of some of his children, including a daughter Victoria. Yet there was no Victor in the Swedsih records. Was this common for a middle name to be created in America?

2011-03-19, 03:19
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
I know of cases where a first name has been added or changed out of all recognition; most often this concerns typically Swedish names with no obvious corresponding name in English - like, e.g., Birger - but there are cases where a name you'd think would go down quite well in English nevertheles is changed (or added to). Like August, which so often is rendered as Gus in English.
Pure speculation on my side, but perhaps this guy worked in some place where there already was a Gus (or whatever) and workmates started calling the new guy something else. At least, that's what happens today. And then perhaps this guy liked his new (nick)name so much he added it officially to his name. Or, like one of my mother's colleagues whose real name was competely forgotten by everyone but the authorities and this caused major problems until she added her nickname to her names.

Ingela

2011-03-19, 06:54
Svar #2

Utloggad Kyla Sandberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 39
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-08-11, 20:52
    • Visa profil
Thanks Ingela,
I always enjoy your posts.
Kyla

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna