ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Rosenberg -- Was it a common Swedish name in the 1800s?  (läst 1208 gånger)

2001-09-22, 06:14
läst 1208 gånger

Jenna Rosenberg

Was Rosenberg a common surname in Sweden during the 1800s? If yes, is it still a common surname today?

My great great grandfather was named Anders Hjert. He was from the Skaraborg region. It appears he changed his name to Rosenberg (Perhaps during military service. We know he served during the 1820s and 1830s.) Later, in the 1850s, he emigrated to America with his family.

2001-09-28, 15:27
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingemar Skarpås

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 179
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 15:29
    • Visa profil
Jenna,

According to: http://www.scb.se/befovalfard/sakomraden/namn/namnsok.asp

There are 1957 persons today in Sweden with Rosenberg as lastname.

The Swedish Telephone Directory on CD-ROM has a list of 1133 persons with that last name, with some spelling variations.

The Rosenberg name is spread in the southern half of Sweden quite well distributed, and that makes me believe that the name was taken on by several families in different parts of the country. I is quite typical that from around 1825 and up until a namelaw 1900 people. There were to many people in the viallages small towns and cities with the patronymicon lastnames (Andersson, Svensson, ie the son of Anders, the son of Sven) and it got confusing, so they started to take new lastnames.
Well, why didn't he keep his lastname Hjert? Possibly because it was not a family name, as you have made an good guess. There was no draft military service in those days, they were contracted soldiers, sometimes for all their lives, but if a soldier Hjert from a certain company would die (in war or by illness) another Andersson or Svensson would have to assume his name.      

There is also a wellknown TV-reproter by name Göran Rosenberg, but he is from jewish decendants, probably German or Norhern France, (does anybody else know?).

In the Skarabogs län, there are still some Rosenbergs. Skövde, Borås and Skara are some of the towns in that area with some 10 Rosenberg's

Regards,

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna