ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: """"Passelberg-Passelberger"""" ist this a origin swedish or nordic name?  (läst 1791 gånger)

2003-11-05, 00:57
läst 1791 gånger

Markus Mäckl

Hello,

I hope somebody have a answer of my question!
I and my family are living in Bavaria/Germany. We can look back to our ancestors till 1695.
The first surname was Passelberger. The diction of the name changed very often Passelberger-Passlberger-Paschlberger-Pastlberger and since the orthography reform 1901 they called bastlberger.

Anyway, there first name was PASSELBERGER !!!!
There is nobody in Germany with a similar surname. The surname Passelberger was one-time in Germany also in the past.

But i have found 1 person called Passelberger 7 person called Passelberg and 2 person called Pastelberger and they had all lived in Sweden, Finland or in North-Russian (St.Petersburg,Nowgorod).
I always think Passelberger is a origin German name but I can?t find roots in Germany. But in Skandinavia there are some in contrast who called a similar name in the past.
Today I can?t find this surname in Skandinavian telephone books too.

I would be so thankful if somebody of you have a answer.

Thank you
Markus

2003-11-05, 18:34
Svar #1

Carin Arbman

Hello Marcus!  
There is no one with the name Passelberg, Passelberger or Paselberg in Sweden according to the Statistics Bureau:
http://www.scb.se/templates/Standard____31245.asp

You can also check the public phonebook.  
http://privatpersoner.eniro.se//

Both parts of the name sound German to me - not Swedish.

2003-11-06, 00:28
Svar #2

Utloggad Karl Göran Eriksson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2705
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-20, 05:54
    • Visa profil
Arnold Pastelberger, said to be from Stockholm, lived in Härnösand, province of Ångermanland, in the 18th century. His son Per Samuel (1762-1813) died i Hammerdal, province of Jämtland.

2003-11-06, 00:39
Svar #3

Anders Andersson

According to the DISBYT database, the names Passelberg and Pastelberg are found in the Baltics (Estonia, Latvia) in the 18th century. I agree with Carin that the name sounds very much German.

2003-11-06, 07:55
Svar #4

Utloggad Sari Wilhelmsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1147
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-03-13, 21:21
    • Visa profil
Hi Markus!
This is a link to a page with scanned old newspapers from Finland and some are from Wiborg, and i belive other places. I made a search with the name Passelberg and i got about 60 hits.Finskt historiskt tidningsbibliotek
I feel also that the name Passelberg is from the German area or maybe the Baltic.  

Sincerely Sari

2003-11-06, 08:09
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again!
I made a search on the link above with the name Pastelberg and i found this
from the Åbo tidningar no 4, date 1793-01-21.

Sincerely Sari

2003-11-06, 08:27
Svar #6

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I will try to translate: The late Major and Night Christian Pastelbergs widow Catharina Margareta Liljeswärd, dead the 9 january, on the Regements block, master place Nygård, in a age of 77 years.  
This Christian should be born about 1720-40, could you try to find his origin or a conection to your family. This is not really what you asked for but maybe we could find a answer were the Finisch/Swedish Pastelberg came from.
In what area in Sweden and Finland have you found your Passelbergs?

Sincerely Sari

2003-11-06, 09:12
Svar #7

Utloggad Åke Englund

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 243
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-10-02, 17:52
    • Visa profil
    • gw.geneanet.org/englunda_w?lang=sv&,p=bengtake&,n=englund&,oc=0&,type=tree
I think that the translation of Qvarters mästare should be quartermaster. Qvarter also means block of houses, kvarter in Swedish, but not in this case. Quartermaster in this case is a military rank.

2003-11-06, 10:04
Svar #8

Peter Karlsson (Peterk)

2003-11-06, 10:06
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Tak för hjalpen pöjker. Det blev lite galet där.

MvH Sari

2003-11-06, 13:55
Svar #10

Utloggad Joakim Ekberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 94
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-21, 18:34
    • Visa profil
Well, it's regementskvartermästarebostället, isn't it? The fenomenon known as särskrivning is by no means a new one..

So it should read ... at Nygård, the residence of the regement quarter master.

2003-11-06, 16:56
Svar #11

Markus Mäckl

Hello,

at the first I would be thank you so much for your aswers. There are very interesting informations.

I think too that the surnames Passelberger-Pastelberger et cetera sound very German.
But I don?t find this surnames in connection with German people. All search results are from Sweden, Finland or in the northern baltic provinces.  
Most of them was in the swedish or baltic aristocracy.
It?s very mysterious that I can?t find German roots for this surname.

I hope you can help me farther a little bit.

Thank you
Markus Mäckl

2003-11-06, 17:25
Svar #12

Markus Mäckl

Hallo,

here some examples for the surnames Passelberg-Passelberger-Pastelberger. There are all from swedish or finnish internet pages. It´s so hard for me because I don´t speak this difficult languages :-)

Passelberg  
Paul
Finland
Enisejsk  
carrier: Rentmeister

Pastelberger; von Pastenberg - im Original: 1776 ]
Christian Johann
German-Baltic
bith: 1735
dead: 1792 in St. Petersburg
lived: Novgorod
career: Premier-Major
class: aristocrat

Pastelberger Christian
Swedish
birth:?
dead: 1773
lived:?
career: Major in the swedish army
class: swedish aristocrat

Läraren Wilhelm Gabriel Passelberg.  
08.12.1866 nro 49 Vasabladet  

Kr., (Wasa. ++ Ryske språkläraren G.W. Passelberg.)  
11.12.1866 nro 145 Åbo Underrättelser

Johan Emanuel Passelberg, s. 8.1.1788. - Teol. 1808-10. K. pian yliopistosta erottuaan.

2. puoliso: Karl Henrik Passelberg , s. 25.12. 1756, k. 1814, ikä 58 v.
Vanhemmat: Samuel Henrik Passelberg, s. 1711, k. 5.4. 1768 ja Elisabet Aschanius. Vihitty 20.3.1745.

Finland
H I I T O L A
KAPPALAISET

nimi                         vuodet
Henrik Illukas                 1637-
Mathias Matthiæ                 1658-
Henrik                         1667-
Anders Formicander         1701-1729
Henrik Cojander                 1729-1744
***Samuel Henrik Passelberg*** 1744-1751
Johan Laurenius                 1752-1765

Passelberg, Samuel Henrik, kappalainen  

Surname index of Swedish officers in the Nordic Wars 1700 – 1721
P E R S O N R E G I S T E R  
Efternamn förnamn sidnr
Pastelberger               K           130

Sweden

Pastelberger, blått kort - ref till tryckta verk.
Pastelberger, von, vitt kort - ref till handskrifter.

29 Ibid, C:5 1750-1766 Födda 2/5. 1759  
37) D. 8 Sept döptes Rådmannen Hindrich Kockums och dess hustru Ulrica Pihlmans dotter Anna Greta, född d. 5 sept.
Guld-Inspectören Anders Arrhens hustru Beata Charlotta Palén fört Barnet til dopet. .ads Secreteraren .ac Lindskougs hustru Ingrid Catharina Norgren gick jämte. Faddrar woro Jungfru Christina Lecke, Öfernoste - Lieutenanten och Commendanten ****Passelberger*****, Apotekaren Joh: Hindrich Hardtman samt Notarien Noach Norgren.

2003-11-06, 19:17
Svar #13

Utloggad Tore Jonsson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 31
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-11-22, 16:47
    • Visa profil
These names are certainly not originally  
Nordic  
but German. Hovever, names of German  
origin have  
been common in the nordic countries from the  
15th  
century or even erlier.

Tore Jonsson

2003-11-06, 20:32
Svar #14

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Marcus!

Do you know about the book, Elgenstierna? It's genealogi about the Swedish nobel and aristocrats, I think the Finish nobel might be in there too. You can ask here on Anbytarforum if Passelberger(with all the diffrent spellings)is in this book. There might be someone who can help you.

About your findings;
Ryske språkläraren- Russian language teacher

2 Married with:Karl Henrik Passelberg, born 25.12 1756, dead 1814 in a age of 58 years. Parents Samuel Henrik Passelberg born 1711, dead 5.4.1768 and Elisabeth Aschanius. Married 20.3 1745.

Kappalaiset- priests, i belive

You have found this blått kort and vitt kort from a internetpage called GF. You can mail them and ask about these. It's documents/books about Passelberger or were you can find these documents/books, I know they will help you with your questions.  

I must ask, where did you find the church record, is it from Stockholm?

Sincerely Sari

2003-11-06, 21:11
Svar #15

Markus Mäckl

Hello Sari,

thank you very much for your help. I?m pleased to your answer.

I found the church records about Lieutenanten och Commendanten Passelberger at the internet page called www.tjocka.nu. I don?t know where did this Passelberger come from.

I found this page by a search in the search-engine google. In fact I have a Swedish wordbook, anyway it?s very hard for me to translate the words.

2003-11-06, 22:35
Svar #16

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I would be pleased to help if I can.
I did however find the church record, it is from a city Kristianstad in Skåne, Southern Sweden.

This is a link to Familysearch. Alltough the information that are displayed there are not always correct. But there might be a clue. I found several Passelberg(with that spelling) and with the spelling Pastelberg I did get 4 hits. One of them was about a man Johan Elias Pastelberg born about 1689, he was married to a Marta Elisabeth Skragge(there is a diskussion about a Skragge family here on Anbytarforum}.  

Sari

2003-11-06, 22:46
Svar #17

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I suppose you have been on this site Genealogiska samfundet.

Sari

2003-11-06, 23:04
Svar #18

Markus Mäckl

Hey Sari you are great :-)

There are many hits by Familysearch. This search-engine is completely unknown in Germany.  
It´s amazing all this Passelberg and Pastelberger etc. are from Sweden or Finland.
But so many people said it´s a typical German name.
I don´t know what I should think.
A historian said to me that between the 30 Year War many swedish soldiers changed their names.
There was to much swedish names with the ending   - son. So the soldiers can´t confused because of their names. They changed their names often in German names, because they was fighting in Germany for so a long time. Perhaps so came this German name to Sweden!!??
I don´t know? :-)

2003-11-07, 01:23
Svar #19

Anders Andersson

I would like to emphasize what Tore Jonsson wrote above.  German culture and language has had a lot of influence in northern and central Europe for centuries, with or without a corresponding amount of political influence. For instance, Deutscher Orden (Teutonic Knights) established themselves in the Baltics in the 13th century, and managed to hold on to power until 1562, when their last Livonian territories were yielded to neighbouring powers (Sweden, Russia, and Poland/Lithuania as I understand it).

During the rule of Deutscher Orden, much of the territory in the Baltic countries were in effect controlled by German nobility, and I assume this is the major reason for finding German-sounding names (which need not even have existed in what is today the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany, but were rather conceived locally) in Estonia and Latvia today, considering that the local languages are not Germanic in origin (Latvian belongs to the Baltic language group of the Indo-European family, and Estonian to the Finno-Ugric family, just like Finnish). Swedish, on the other hand, is a Germanic language, and German names are thus more similar to Swedish names, but Sweden doesn't have a history of German nobility controlling our farmland (the Swedish mining industry may be another matter).

Thus, I think the appearant concentration of the name Passelberg/Pastelberg to the Baltics, St Petersburg, and southern Finland is significant. While Sweden did rule the northern Baltics for much of the 17th century, and thus may have introduced certain family names there, I'd rather think of Passelberg as the name of someone who left the Baltics for Sweden/Finland, either during the Swedish rule, or when the Russians moved in during the 18th century.

2003-11-10, 17:10
Svar #20

Markus Mäckl

Thank you very much for your articles.
It?s very intersting.

Now I know what the names Passelberger-Bastlberger means.

Passel is the same word than Bast.
Passel is a Estonian or Latvian word - Bast is the german and swedish word for this item.
In the past they manufactured  clothes with bast.
My ancestors was dress makers and weavers since at least 1695. The German item Bast in English called bast too.

So I think my ancestors came from the baltic area to Germany because the first name was Passelberger and as recently as 1901 the surname switch to Bastlberger.

Greets Markus

2003-12-16, 18:20
Svar #21

Markus Mäckl

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna