ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Origins of the name of Enstrom  (läst 1054 gånger)

2007-06-14, 11:41
läst 1054 gånger

Utloggad Rosalie Enstrom

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-06-11, 03:45
    • Visa profil
Would it be possible for some help in finding the origins of the Enstrom name.   I believe it may be a military name but how would this originate.   Any help would be much appreciated.
Rose

2007-06-14, 14:48
Svar #1

Utloggad Åke Holmberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 416
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-11, 10:51
    • Visa profil
    • www.dis.se
Hi Rosalie
Enstom or in swedish Enström is't only a soldier name. http://soldat.dis.se/soldater.php Here can you find 74 names of soldier Enstöm. The name Enström contents from two words en-ström. en=one, ström=rapid water.
Cheers

2007-06-14, 16:58
Svar #2

Bo Johansson

Or juniper stream (en = juniper), and most Enström are not of military origin, but people who started to use the name because the liked it.

// Bo Johansson

2007-06-14, 19:21
Svar #3

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Enström is rather typical of the so-called town names, i.e. used by people like craftsmen, merchants and civil servants (officials) who lived in towns and cities. The common practice for this class of people was to assume a name consisting of two parts which referred to something in nature, very often starting off with a tree.
En-ström is most certainly juniper + stream. Names like it abound in Swedish: Lind-gren (linden branch), Ek-berg (oak mountain), Alm-qvist (elm twig), Ask-lund (ash copse) - and I'm sure a hundred more variations on the theme.

Some regiments gave this sort of town name to its soldiers while others stuck to more typical martial names like Spjut (javelin) or Lans (lance) or even Krig (War)! But soldiers' names were not supposed to be retained by a soldier after he was discharged, and it was very rare before the mid to late 19th century for a soldier's family to use his soldier name. The soldier name can be viewed more along the lines of a badge of office.

So while is is entirely possible that your Enström ancestor was a soldier and that was how the name was acquired, it is much more likely that the origin of the name lies with some craftsman (shoemaker, cabinetmaker etc) or tradesman/merchant.

Ingela

2007-06-14, 21:20
Svar #4

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
And in Norrbotten the name Enström exists from early 1800s in a farming family.

In Norrbotten it's quite common among the farming population to take names like the examples Ingela call town names already in early 1800s.

regards,
Eva

2007-06-15, 08:11
Svar #5

Utloggad Rosalie Enstrom

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-06-11, 03:45
    • Visa profil
To Ake, Bo, Ingela and Eva many many thanks for your information.   I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Rose

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna