ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Malmstrom name origin  (läst 2308 gånger)

2010-01-22, 00:47
läst 2308 gånger

Utloggad Jim Reilly

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 19
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-03, 20:44
    • Visa profil
I am looking for the origin of the name Malmstrom, which is the family name of my ancestors who lived in Grebo, Ostergotland.

2010-01-22, 01:21
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Malmström is typical of the names assumed by people moving in from the countryside to towns; we call them burgher names or town names. The names are usually a concatenation of two words, both referring to something in nature.
Malm = can have several meanings; either ore (as in iron ore) or a sandy, wooded headland or a (wooded) common area immediately outside a village
ström = stream, current

While not being among the most popular names in Sweden, it's still a common name with 3827 persons having Malmström as their family name (Lindgren - linden tree branch - is one of the most common town names; 23221 people use it as a family name). Far, far from all Malmström people are even tenuously related.

People usually changed into a proper family name (from a patronymic) if they moved into town (though servants kept their patromynics) or if they had a job in the country which was better than a common farmer's - a forest ranger for an important estate e.g. or a smith. Emigrating was equated with moving into town, and many people changed names on emigration.
A town name could also be a soldier name, although it wasn't very common.
Read more about  Swedish name customs.

There is no way of telling where your ancestor had the idea of selecting Malmström from all the possible natural combinations. Perhaps he was born by a stream on the common ground outside a village. Or he just thought the name sounded nice.
Except for noble families, a few old clerical families and old smithing families (all in all much less than 10% of the population) Swedes have no feeling for their family name. To change family names is one of the most popular pastimes in Sweden - last year more people than ever changed names.

Ingela

2010-01-22, 10:19
Svar #2

Utloggad Eva-Christina Söderman

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 47
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-06-12, 21:22
    • Visa profil
Ingela!
Det var mycket intressant läsning. Hoppas att det är OK med dig att jag delar med mig länken till ditt PDF-dokument till andra.  
/Eva-Christina Ragnarsdotter Söderman

( And as this category reads 'Discussions in English', here is a translation: )
This was very interesting to read. I hope it is alright to share the link to your PDF-document.

2010-01-23, 20:38
Svar #3

Utloggad Jim Reilly

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Ingela

Thank you for the Malmstrom information. The Malmstroms were my ancestors from Grebo, Ostergotland who emigrated to the United States in 1881 and the name was not changed until around 1900 when it became Malstrom.  

Jim

2010-01-23, 23:49
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Eva-Christina,

Of course it's OK if you want to share the link or the document.
There is also another paper you might find interesting, on Swedish customs (rites of passage / livets högtider).

Both papers are available in Swedish as well as English:  www.martenius.se/genealogy

Enjoy!

Ingela

2010-01-24, 00:11
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Jim,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean:

1/ Your ancestor's name was Malmström when he emigrated and it was changed in 1900 to Malstrom.
Comment:
No family was always called by a burgher name. A name such as Malmström wouldn't have been used at all until the 17th century, and then only by very few people (when the House of Nobility was founded in 1628 they had to force noble families to start using family names). Burgher names were used a little more in the 18th century - but it was only a few years ago (yes!) that the number of proper family names exceeded the number of patronymic-derived names (Andersson, Eriksson etc are properly speaking patronymics that are used as family names).
It was quite common for emigrants' names to change a little; in my own family it took just about a decade living in Chicago to go from Hamnqvist to Hamqvist.

2/ Your ancestor emigrated with a patronymic and didn't change his name until 1900 when he started calling himself Malmstrom (or Malstrom?).
Comment:
Many emigrants changed names right before emigrating, a few changed during the voyage, many changed right after immigrating - and some waited for years before changing names. The odd thing is that we often think they changed to something Anglified but quite often they changed to things like Åström though they would have done better with a name like e.g. Holmberg.

Ingela

2010-01-24, 12:00
Svar #6

Utloggad Monica E. Fogelqvist

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 673
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-01-10, 19:25
    • Visa profil
Hello Jim, was your ancestor August Fridolf Carlsson Malmström born Aug. 16 1859 in Grebo and emigrating from Björntorp Aug. 26, 1881, according to the database EMIBAS?

His father was Carl Fredrik born 1809 in Grebo and he was son of Lay Judge (I think that is the right translation, in Swedish Nämndeman/Härads domare) Magnus Petersson born 1774 in Grebo and Maria Beata Beckwall. Carl Fredrik moved to the parish Askeby in 1845 and when me moved back to Grebo in 1853 he called himself Carl Fredrik Malmström. From what I can see, none of his brothers or sisters changed their names. They all used the patronymic Magnusson.

Monica

2010-01-24, 12:40
Svar #7

Utloggad Britt-Marie Waller

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4945
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-07, 13:06
    • Visa profil
Hi Jim!

I guess this is your ancestor? In 1881-08-26 August Fridolf Malmström (son of a farmer) emigrates from Björntorp, Grebo (BI:3 Grebo). Emigrates to obestämd ort, troligen Amerika, which means unknown place, probably America.

Here is August Fridolf and his family at the time he emigrates, AI:14 Grebo p 96 Björntorp:

Carl Fredik Malmström was born 1809-06-07 (C:3 Grebo p 65) son of the farmer and juryman Magnus Pettersson and his wife Maria Beata Beckvall at Björntorp.

His father Magnus Pettersson never uses the name Malmström. He later becomes a foreman of the jury and dies at Björntorp 1852-05-30. He was born in 1774-12-20 at Norrby, Grebo (C:2 p 586) to Petri (Peter) Månsson and his wife Lena Sophia Adamsdotter.

In 1845 Carl Fredrik Magnusson Malmström moves to Askeby parish with his wife to the farm Stämne södergård as a leaseholder. When he left Grebo the name Malmström isn´t noted in the parishrecord, but in the moving in record for Askeby he is for the first time named Malmström.

In this area of Grebo and Åtvid parishes there are many mines and the name Malmström are maybe connected to this fact.  

Best regards

Britt-Marie

2010-01-24, 15:10
Svar #8

Utloggad Jim Reilly

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Ingela

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, my ancestor emigrated in 1881 to Bridgeport, Connecticut in the USA and settled for perhaps a dozen years keeping his name on documents, census reports and city directories as Malmström. Then after 1900 the m was dropped and the family and any subsequent children were referred to as Malstrom, which is used today. We have no information as to why this decision to change the name occurred.

Jim

2010-01-24, 15:48
Svar #9

Utloggad Jim Reilly

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Monica and Britt-Marie

Thankyou so much for passing along this information. Yes August Fridolf was my great-great grandfather who emigrated in 1881 to Connecticut and never returned to Sweden. I read Ingela Martenius's piece on Swedish emigration and August seems to have left Sweden for more than one of those reasons. He did live on a farm called Bjorntorp in Grebo and may have been doing military service before he emigrated. There is an entry in the Grebo Husförhorslangd 1876-1880 AI:13 p. 90 line 6 under a column that reads Fräjd och särskilda anleckningar? But I was not sure how this tranlated.

Jim

2010-04-30, 01:52
Svar #10

Utloggad Magdalena Weeks

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-04-30, 01:52
    • Visa profil
Hi Jim!

My name is Magdalena Weeks, and I believe we might be related! My great grandmother was born at Bjorntorp, Grebo in 1897 - her maiden name was Rut Malmstrom, and she was the oldest of four sisters. She inherited the farm from her parents, but when Rut's husband died early on in their marriage, she unfortunately had to sell it. She kept a small house that belonged to the property, where she subsequently lived with her daughter, my grandmother. My grandmother, and later on my mother, grew up in this house. I would be very interesed in getting in touch with you, possibly to share what you have found about our ancestors, and hopefully to add to your knowledge about the Swedish side of the family!  

Best regards,  
Magdalena

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna