ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Levin  (läst 1201 gånger)

2006-06-25, 13:37
läst 1201 gånger

Utloggad Andrea Flanagan

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 57
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-14, 04:29
    • Visa profil
My g-g-granddad took the surname Levin upon entering the US.  Any ideas what its origins are?  I have read of speculation that it was taken from the French Le Vin (the vine), but that doesn't seem likely to me.

2006-06-25, 14:25
Svar #1

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Andrea

Some of my relatives that moved to US created their new name using the whole or parts of the parish name, either where they were born or where they lived before emigration.

Mats

2006-06-25, 14:32
Svar #2

Bo Johansson

Perhaps he just liked the name.

Or he might have been from a place named Levene, Leversta, Levsäng, etc.

// Bo Johansson

2006-06-25, 15:03
Svar #3

Utloggad Kurt Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 189
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-01-24, 22:01
    • Visa profil
Levin is a common name in Sweden, usually worn by soldiers. Also anyone may take any familyname until the end of the nineteenth century. Just register in the parish books. We have many Levin here in the south of Schweden
Regards  
Kurt Persson

2006-06-26, 00:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
In any case, le vin means the wine. Not a bad surname, I say !  
And la vigne means the vine. And, of course Lavigne is also a surname, a nice one too.

2006-06-26, 02:07
Svar #5

Utloggad Andrea Flanagan

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 57
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-14, 04:29
    • Visa profil
Thanks for your help, and I stand corrected in my French translation!

2006-06-26, 10:55
Svar #6

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Andrea, if you go to Swedish Roots and click on Swedish names, there's a general introduction to how Swedish surnames are formed.  

-in is a pretty common suffix in later Swedish surnames, though that page doesn't mention it. I've read about this somewhere else but I can't recall where so I may be wrong in some details: In the 1700s when France had great influence on fashionable society, French-sounding -in and -?n surname endings were introduced. First they became popular with the upper classes, but by the late 1800s the French origins were forgotten and the now supposedly Swedish suffix had spread to all levels of society. At this time many people abandoned their patronymics (father's name + 's son or 's daughter, though in Swedish of course) and created new surnames for themselves, often using a place name as a root as Mats said above, and sticking on the -in or -?n suffix so it sounded like a proper surname. My own surname was taken in that way, as late as in the 1920s I think.

If you find out where your ancestor came from, you'll probably find the origin of the name as well.

2006-06-26, 19:09
Svar #7

Utloggad Karl-Henrik Rydén

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 943
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-08, 21:51
    • Visa profil
    • edshult.eu
Andrea,  

My grandmother had two sisters, Ida and Elin, who emigrated to America. Ida and her husband, Johan August Pettersson, changed their family name to Levin upon settling in Lindsborg, Kansas.  
I heard that the reason for them to use this family name was that they had heard a pastor or priest with this name that impressed them.  
I think it is sometimes hard to know exactly why someone decided to change to a certain name. For me the name Levin does not directly make any associations to a place in Sweden.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna