ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: How to translate Börjesson into an Americanized name?  (läst 1285 gånger)

2005-10-15, 15:52
läst 1285 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
My mormors mor, Anna Josefina Johansdotter (from Dagsås, Halland) came to the U.S. in May of 1892. She traveled with Inger Kristina Andersdotter and her two children, Emilia Sofia Karlsdotter and Karl Edvin.  They were going to Inger Kristina's husband, Carl August Börjesson, and their destination was listed as Chicago.  Inger Kristina came from an adjoining farm in Dagsås Parish - Dalen 1/4 mtl Dagsås 2.  Anna Josefina Johansdotter came from Dagsås 3.  
    I am unable to locate the Börjesson family in any of the U.S. censuses, or in the Ellis Island database.  I assume that the children would have taken their father's last name when they became American citizens, but I am unsure how the name of Börjesson would be changed.  Thanks for any ideas about the Americanized spelling!

2005-10-15, 16:01
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Buryeson or Boryeson would be close to the Swedish pronounciation of Börjesson.

2005-10-15, 17:28
Svar #2

Marianne Solli

On Family Search I searched up the name Carl Börjesson in U.S. and came up with several names like Carl Borgeson, some of them living in Chicago.

2005-10-15, 18:57
Svar #3

Mårt Hagström

In Warren,PA, there was a family named
Borge or Borg...typical for we lazy Americans.

2005-10-15, 19:50
Svar #4

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
What are the birthdates for Carl August Börjesson, Inger Kristina Andersdotter and their two children, Emilia Sofia and Karl Edvin?

Remember: There were Swedish emigrants to the USA who eventually re-settled in Canada.
Also, other Swedish emigrants to the USA landed first in Canada and then travelled through Canada to the US. And some of these, as well, moved on, to Canada's West.

The British Columbia Archives' Vital Events search engine suggests additional altered name possibilities:

Boreson, Borgerson, even Burgess

2005-10-15, 22:27
Svar #5

Utloggad Britt Börjesson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 396
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-08-30, 20:33
    • Visa profil
Hej Karen,
my great granduncles used Burgeson in US.
Hälsningar
Britt Börjesson

2005-10-16, 02:33
Svar #6

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks to everyone!  I still cannot find the Börjesson family - no matter how I spell the name - although further research has shown that they were friends of my great grandmother's family, not relatives.  Carl August Börjesson was born 7-Aug 1854, and his wife, Inger Kristina Andersdotter, was born on 1-July 1844.  I searched the U.S. census by several possible spellings, and then searched the Chicago census using first names, ages and place of birth as delimiters.  I will give up on that family, and concentrate instead on finding Anna Josefina Johansdotter (my grt grandmother) in all of the census imprints.  So far I've only located her in 1920 and 1930.  She married Carl Bernhard Anderson, and there are hundreds of Andersons to look through in Cook County, Illinois in 1900 and 1910.  I am sure that I will find them.  I thank everyone for their help.

2005-10-16, 21:02
Svar #7

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Karen

According to CD Emigranten left the whole family Böyesson Copenhagen on June 7, 1892. Their destination was N.Y.

The family consisted of
Carl Aug  38
Inger 42
Emmeli 14
Karl 11

Source code: 2116

Looks like your family, even if Inger is a little bit yonger than what we could expect.

When I look in Census 1890 (Swedish) I can see two small notes when looking at Inger Andersdotter. First: Husband in America. Second: Say she is born 1849 (but the real given date is 1844)
The second might explain her age when emigrating.

Mats

2005-10-16, 21:24
Svar #8

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Karen

I found the Borjesson family on Ellis Island.

They arrived June 25 on board Hekla who came from Copenhagen.

The family members are indexed as
Carl Anj Borjesson, 38
Inger Borjesson, 42
Emili Borjesson, 14
Karl Borjesson , 11
BUT they have got Denmark as residence.

Two lines below the Borjesson family is a 19 year
old girl named Anna T Johansen in the index. She also has Denmark as residence, but when I read the manifest it looks more like Anna J Johanson and she is from Sweden. Might be your mormorsmor.

Mats

2005-10-18, 12:17
Svar #9

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
THANKS TO EVERYONE!  Now I can look at the Ellis Island record myself, and I know that they emigrated via Copenhagen.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna