ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Helgren  (läst 1265 gånger)

2002-01-09, 05:09
läst 1265 gånger

Brenda Helgren

Hello,

I would like to know the meaning of the surname Helgren.  My husband's great grandfather immigrated in 1881/1882 (John Alexis Helgren b. 10/30/1857)from Smaland.  The family story is that the orginal surname was Aberson/Abrahamson/Anderson and that is was changed to Helgren on arrival in America.  Supposedly, their were three brothers who immigrated at the same time and took the names of Helgren, Gustafson, and Foster. I am totally lost as to how to research his family history.

Thanks,
Brenda

2002-01-09, 20:07
Svar #1

Utloggad Håkan Bergström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1337
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 22:21
    • Visa profil
'Hel' probably is a respelling of 'häll' = a flat rock. 'Gren' means 'branch of a tree'.

It's a typical Swedish name.

You mention three different 'orginial names' - are  anyone of them more likely than the others?

And lastly what's the names and birth years of John Alexis two brothers?

(Håkan

2002-01-10, 01:18
Svar #2

Brenda Helgren

Håkan,

Abrahamson is the most likely original name.  I have no other information on the brothers. John Alexis' Declaration of Intent said only that he was from Småland.

Thanks,
-Brenda

2002-01-11, 19:38
Svar #3

Utloggad Håkan Bergström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1337
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 22:21
    • Visa profil
I had a look, but unfortunately I can't find anyone with that name.

/Håkan

2002-01-12, 23:27
Svar #4

Brenda Helgren

Thanks for checking.
-brenda

2002-03-30, 21:02
Svar #5

Allen

There is a Anders Olofsson Hellgren Mastersvennen born 20 Oct 1760 in Djurshyttehammer, Hällstad, Östergötland in our family. He died 15 nov 1822 in the same town. I have been trying to find out where the Hellgren name came from. His father was Olof Andersson. His grandfather was Anders Olofsson, and I wonder if they used thoes names so much that he added a abbreveation of Hällstad, where he was born, and added that he was a branch of the family. Does anyone have any input?

2002-03-30, 23:04
Svar #6

Peter Karlsson / anbytarvärd (Peter)

You can read about Swedish naming-practises here in the 'Swedish Roots-section'..
-The name is most propably made out of the name of the parish when he became a blacksmith.

2004-10-27, 00:31
Svar #7

Utloggad Brian Almquist

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 102
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-02-14, 03:15
    • Visa profil
I am seeking the parents and siblings of Halsten (or Haeken) Hellgren, born in 1720 in Grava socken, Värmlands län.  

Halsten was a trumslagare (drummer) and non-commissioned officer with the Närke-Värmlands regimente. He enlisted in the army November 18, 1737, and retired in 1777. The family lived at Åtorp, Grava parish, Värmlands län, before they moved to Norra Ölmhult, Väse parish, in 1759. His wife and four children moved alone because he was away at the Seven Years' War from 1756-63. Halsten returned to Väse parish after the war in 1763. In 1768 the family moved to Göranstorp, Väse parish.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Almquist
Ashland, Oregon USA

2005-01-16, 05:47
Svar #8

Maxine Morrison

I also have confusing names. My great great  
grandfather was Pehr Olof Hellgren ( Bring- a  
soldier name) he was born on August 4, 1825 in  
Kalmar( in Smaland) He was a grenadian at the  
regiment in the town Linkoping ,but he had his  
farm for his family in Berga at Ostra Skrukeley.  
He married a Inga Stina Persdotter in Nov. 11,  
What is interesting is that sometime before 1843,  
Pehr Olof is in Norrkopng and after 1843 he  
leaves Norrkopng for Skrukeby in Feb. 1843.
He moves around working as a DRAG( farmhand)  
before he marries Inga Stina and they are listed  
in 1848 without children and HE HAS CHANGED HIS  
NAME FROM HELLGREN TO HIS SOLDIER NAME BRING.
Up until then he is listed as Hellgren after his  
father.
Per Olof' father was Carl Adam Hellgren ( I don't  
have a birth or death date for him yet.) He  
married twice. Ist wife was Helena Hammargren( no  
birth of death date for her yet) By 1829 Carl  
marries a 2nd time to a Maria Svensdotter.
Maxine

2005-01-16, 15:24
Svar #9

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Maxine!

Perhaps not the proper place for this ...

Another piece to your ancestor puzzle:

Death record for Helena
GID 75.125.57600
She died January 20 1828 in Feber
Age 36 years 6 months 28 days.
Calculation gives birth 22nd June 1791. There is a Helena born close to that date, however names of parents do not match.

In Pehr Olofs birth certificate (GID 75.118.15000) as well as in Helena's death certificate the occupation for Carl Adolf(!) Hellgren is stated as Fäng. Gevaldiger. If I am correct this means Prison guard- Gevaldiger was used as title for policemen at that time.

Since Kalmar already around 1800 is quite big it is not so easy to find the family.

Unfortunatly some of the Kalmar records are quite diffucult to read.

Regards

2005-01-16, 21:48
Svar #10

Maxine Morrison

Olie,
A Swedish man from Australia gave me a listing for the name Carl Adam Hellgren, but at first he said it was Adolph ,but changed his mind and said the the middle name was Adam . Form what I saw it was Adam, could the middle name been different in some of the listings for Carl Adam Hellgren .  
Which would be right? Adam or Adolph?
Maxine

2005-01-17, 12:31
Svar #11

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Maxine!

I took the name Carl Adolf from the birth record of Pehr Olof. I will send the Genline pictures later by e-mail.

Regards

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna