ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Eric Holmgren; Is this a military surname?  (läst 616 gånger)

2006-10-18, 20:08
läst 616 gånger

Utloggad Fred Ostrom

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 12
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-04-20, 21:39
    • Visa profil
I am trying to determine if Eric´s real family name is Holmgren. I have been unable to locate birth records for him. He was married September 17, 1738 in Björskog, Västmanland and died November 1, 1780, also in Björskog. Records indicate he was in the military and that his adult surname was Holmgren. The marriage record indicates he was from Holma (I think), but I cannot find a parish with that name. His death record indicates he was from Torpa Söcken (I think), but I could not find any birth record for him. Can you assist me in my search?  

Thank You

2006-10-19, 04:19
Svar #1

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-22, 21:47
    • Visa profil
Hi Fred,

Just a little digging with the information you provided.

There is a small village named Holma in Björskog parish. So, it does seem plausible that place could have been the source of the Holmgren surname. However, the church records should tell the real story.

Torpa parish in Västmanland lies only a few miles east of Björskog so Eric being born there does seem reasonable. Perhaps you didn't find his birth entry because it was listed under a patronymic and/or his birth year is off by a year or more. That seems to happen rather frequently, especially when people moved from parish to parish.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

2006-10-20, 20:06
Svar #2

Utloggad Fred Ostrom

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 12
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-04-20, 21:39
    • Visa profil
Thank you Jeff,

I should have looked closer at the villages in the Björskog parish to determine if Holma was listed. Since your response, I have searched for Holma info, only to learn that there are apparently no household examination records for the period 1710 to 1737. I also searched the Torpa Västmanland birth records for the period around 1709, the birth date listed on Eric?s death record, with no success. Perhaps someone looking at Eric?s marriage (GID 2332.7.2000) and death (GID 2332.34.60300)records can spot something that my untrained eye can?t spot, that can further assist me.

Thanks, again

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna