ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Daun - Does this surname/family come from Germany?  (läst 1095 gånger)

2006-09-01, 08:58
läst 1095 gånger

Michael Daun

Hej Sweden!

My name is Michael DAUN from Germany. I live in Troisdorf, a town near our old capital bonn.

I start wondering why there are so many occurrences of the name DAUN in Sweden. Or am I wrong with my impression?

Anyway, who knows where that surname comes from? Was it imported by migrants in the past? Or is it just by chance that the spelling is the same, i.e. the names in Sweden and in Germany have nothing to do with each other? Who of you has ancestors with that name and perhaps with a connection to Germany as well?

Tackar!
Michael

P.S.: I had found my DAUN ancestors back till 1690. They had lived most of the time in a german region called Eifel, near a small town called Daun.... ;-)

2006-09-01, 22:06
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Regarding the number of occurrences in Sweden - according to the Central Bureau of Statistics, there's currently 472 people with the surname Daun in Sweden. Based on that count, I'd say it's a pretty unusual name.  

I'd suspect a migrant brought the name here, as it doesn't sound Swedish to me at all. And it should be possible for that number of people to stem from e.g. the same 18th century ancestor.

2006-09-02, 08:13
Svar #2

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
The name is most likely to be of British origin.
In the seventeenth century foreign names were often recorded by their sound, so Down became Daun and so forth.

2006-09-02, 10:27
Svar #3

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Daun has been discussed earlier at this message board, f.e.x

Daun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anbytarforum: Språk, ord och namn: Personnamn: Efternamn: Daun  

quote one of the items - translated below.

Av Bo Lindwall - söndag den 22 sept 2002 kl. 15.29:  [Ändra]    
Det beror på att man gärna uppkallade soldater efter kända fältherrar. Namnet Daun kommer från den österrikiske fältmarskalken greve Leopold von Daun, född 1705 24/9 i Wien, död där 1766 5/2. Han var överbefälhavare i sjuårskriget mot Preussen och besegrade Fredrik den store vid Kolin 1757 och Hochkirch 1758.  

the question was why so many soldiers had surname Daun and Bo Lindwall said one often gave soldiers their surnames after wellknown commanders. Daun comes from the Austrian field marshal Daun, b. 24/9 1705 in Vienna, died that place 5/2 1766. He was commander-in-chief in the Seven year war against Preussia and defeated Fredrik the Great at Koln 1757 and Hochkirch 1758.

2006-09-03, 08:29
Svar #4

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
Tar tillbaka mitt förhastade inlägg ang. urprunget av namet Daun. Det finns en stad kallad Daun i Tyskland, närmare sagt i delstaten Rheinland-Pfalz.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna